Visitor

Pulse vs. Tone

Why does my phone only work in "Pulse" mode. It is a Uniden DECT 6.0.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Pulse vs. Tone

[ Edited ]

The tone generator on the phone might be off frequecy enough for the DTMF receiver not to decode the tones, or the tones might be too short for the receiver to detect them.

Cheap phones frequently fail.

Visitor

So I guess you are saying I have a cheap phone? What about a Panasonic KX-TG2740? Is that a cheap one also? What phone do you recommend?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

All new phones that are built in China by 3rd party factories are garbage compared to the old days where phones were dependable and well constructed.  It doesn't matter who the manufacture is.  Cheap electronics fail often.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

FEMA_Dude wrote:

Why does my phone only work in "Pulse" mode. It is a Uniden DECT 6.0.

Are you saying you switched it from tone to pulse to get it to work?

Visitor

Yes. I tried two different phones and neither one worked in "Tone" mode.  I had a dial tone but they neither phone would dial out. When I switched the phones to "Pulse" mode they both were able to dial out. I thought maybe the modem needed to be switched from Pulse to Tone but I don't think that is the case. I guess I will keep buying phones until I find one that works and return the rest.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I missed the part about two phones.  First you should pickup a cheap wired phone at a big box store for $6 and give it a good test. 

If it fails, then it can be escalated to the Comcast Cares Team and the tech will determine if it's the eMTA or farther up in the system.

Visitor

It failed the wired phone test. Still get a dial tone but doesn't dial out. Once I get home from work I will contact comcast so they can fix it.