Contributor
delcarto

Repeated calls from "Unavailable" phone number.

Hello, I hope someone can help me understand this issue.

I have been receiving daily calls from a caller whose caller ID reads "Unavailable". Since I have "Anonymous Call Rejection" enabled, why is this still happening??

How can someone call me without showing their phone number, if I have "Anonymous Call Rejection" turned on???

I have enabled this feature (ACR) both in the Xfinity voice preferences and I have also used the *77 feature to ensure the feature is enabled.

I get these calls from early in the morning until well past the dinner hour. It's irritating as can be.

This isn't my first problem with this issue either. It used to be that I would get calls from numbers listed as "Unknown". ACR didn't seem to work in stopping those calls either. Isn't it bad enough that we get calls from people who can change the caller ID to read anything they want?

Do I have to change my phone number to avoid this?

Do I have to change my voice provider to fix this issue??

Please help!

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Repeated calls from "Unavailable" ph

[ Edited ]

It's a significant issue with Comcast phone service. There is nothing you can do about "unavailable" calls. Anonymous call rejection only works for calls that have blocked their number from being displayed. It was enough of an issue for me that I dropped Comcast's voice service.

Contributor
delcarto

Hi thanks for your reply. I am not sure I described the problem enough.

Not only does the caller ID say "Unavailable", there is no number listed either. So they are blocking their phone number too.

Shouldn't that trigger Anonymous Call Rejection to stop the call?

Official Employee

Unknown calls that are coming through is a sign that there is no Caller ID available to display/detect. 

Anonymous Call Rejection only works when the customer has knowingly/ actively blocked their Caller ID information from coming through. 

Unfortunately, this is not a problem specific to Comcast, but also an occurance with other telephone providers as  most National Telephone providers use a National Database of registered telephone numbers to display Caller IDs.

If there is no Caller ID information to display it will still come through, however be displayed a UNKNOWN or UNAVAILABLE 

Regular Contributor
pudwinker

The only way you can block this type of call and others is with a call blocker that I have talked about in other posts. I have one and it blocks all unavailable and unknown numbers automatically, it also block up to 80 numbers not like the 12 that Comcast does.

Its $100, and worth it! You can check on Amazon for the Digitone Call Blocker, or you can find other ones that you use your computer if you leave it on all the time.

Good luck.

Contributor
delcarto

Thanks Pudwinker. Thats good information.

I am not to keen about shopping online these days, but I haven't had much luck finding a good call blocker at any retail outlets. I will definitely check that one out.

Contributor
delcarto

Greg, thanks for the explanation of how this can happen.

It still seems to me that Comcast could initiate a blocking feature on their servers or routers to drop these calls. These calls are traveling on the same lines that our Internet traffic uses I beleive.

Correct me if I am wrong on that.

It doesn't sound like it would be a difficult task to accomplish to me.

Of course I am a customer and we tend to have unreal expectations. 

Thanks again.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

I use Google Voice. I give everyone that number and keep my home number secret. Problem solved.

New Visitor

I keep getting calls from, what appears to be, a local number. I answer and get NOTHING. It calls several times a day.I tried to call the number back and it says the number is not in service. I called Comcast about a feature I have encountered making other calls, one to block solicitations. You call it and get a recording that says [to paraphrase] "This number does not accept solicitations, please press 1 to continue." The lady at Comcast said this was not a feature Comcast had, but I could use the *60 feature and add them to call rejection. SO, I added this number earlier today and JUST got another call from them. After some searching, I found a forum that said *60 does not work on numbers that are not in service. FIRST:  If it is not in service, how the heck is it calling me? SECOND:  Why can't/how can I block this number? Can I report this to anyone? Is it a crime in any form (I AM beginning to feel harassed)?