New Visitor
Sunnyshots
Accepted Solution

Telephone modem for purchase?

I have Comcast voice and data service (and TV), and after 4 years of paying $7.00 a month for modem rental, I finally figured out I could buy my own modem. Can anyone point me to a list of modems that are approved for both data and telephony? The list I found on Comcast's site didn't seem to specify which could be used with Comcast Digital Voice.

Thanks

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: Telephone modem for purchase?

[ Edited ]

You can buy an Arris TM722g at select Best Buy stores that have a Comcast kiosk in them. Comcast will not attach any other consumer owned internet/phone modem at this time.

This link will let you check for the closest participating Best Buy.:

http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2013
New Visitor
Sunnyshots

Thank you for the link. I see there are no participating stores near me, which is akinda surprising since I live in a suburb of Atlanta. If I buy a used one of these models from the secondary market, is this against Comcast policy? I don't want to do anything inappropriate, but I also don't want to drive 30 miles to pick one up. Thanks!

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Comcast will only attach the Arris TM722g puchased from a participating Best Buy. Any others will be refused.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2013
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

There is no secondary market for these units, the only way to puchase a eMTA is through the official channel at Best Buy using a Comcast Connection Center sales agent to add the unit to your account at the store, then they arrange installation.

Since these were never sold anywhere else, they are most likely unreturned equipment from any number of cable companies and are on the hot list and can not be provisioned to your account.