Posted by
Contributor

Using existing jack, phone won't ring

So when I ordered Comcast Voice I was told that I could plug the modem into an existing phone jack and all the others would work. When I do that and try to call the phone all that happens is the phone beeps once. If I pick it up I am connected, but the phone won't ring. And there is a dial tone and I can call out...again, just no ring. Anyone else experience this and have a solution?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Re: Using existing jack, phone won't ring

It is totally dependent on your your inside phone wiring is all connected together.  Backfeeding the Comcast eMTA usually works, but the inside phone wiring needs to be looked at and confirmed that all the jacks are connected together properly.

Did a Comcast Tech do the install?  Most times the Comcast tech will do his best to get the inside wiring connected properly.

Did you have phone service with the local phone company and you ported over your number to Comcast?

Has your inside phone wiring & jacks been used before?

Posted by
Contributor

We had AT&T phone service for 25 years prior to switching to Comcast. Everything worked fine before. I did the install of the Comcast modem myself. It's not a huge deal for us since we have cordless phones hooked up directly to the modem and hardly ever use the home phone. I was just hoping this would work to make things a little easier. 

There are two phone jacks in the house that were added after the house was built and I believe they were just spliced into the existing phone lines. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Posted by
Official Employee

---

Sorry about the issues that you are experiencing. Being that no technician was out to professional install your services your phone jacks have not been activated for Comcast services. To enable it we would  need to have a technician out to your home.

Please let me know if you need more assistance.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Posted by
Contributor

What does it mean to activate a phone jack for Comcast service?

Posted by
Official Employee

---

What I mean is that Comcast provides phone service through the coax cable cord running to our EMTA (Our Modem). The EMTA is what gives you your dial tone. If you are plugged directly into the back of our modem and you have a dial tone then your phone is working fine.

If you unplug your phone cord from the back of the modem and plug directly into another phone jack and you do not receive a dial tone then it's an issue with the phone jack. It's possible that particular phone jack may need to be activated for our service which requires a technician to come out to correct.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Did you disconnect your AT&T service at the Demarc box outside when you installed CDV ???????

Posted by
Contributor

Yea I unplugged the jack from the box. When I had a Comcast tech out he then cut the wires in there. So that box is dead. I was hoping then the jacks in the house would all only be connected to eachother and all work when I plugged the Comcast modem into any of them. Apparently not. 

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

When I had my CDV installed I had two phone lines coming into my house from AT&T. I decided I only needed one phone line from Comcast so in order to get all the phones to work on one line I ran a male to male jumper to the two females in the Demarc box so that when I backfed one jack in the house all the phones would work.

Posted by
Contributor

That's interesting. We had to phone lines a while back so we have two jacks in the CDV. I figured unplugging both of them would do the trick. Of course I can't just try your suggestion now because the Comcast tech cut all the wires in there and I have no idea where they should go. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

[ Edited ]

Tony

You have me confused, you said earlier you did the installation, but the Comcast tech cut the wires.  If you did your own self installation, then why was the Comcast tech out?

I've seen many times where when a sub switched over to CDV, when the local telco came out to do a disconnect on the old landline, they cut out all the wires in the NID, but it doesn't make sense that a Comcast tech would have been in the NID if you did your own self install.  The ATT guy would have been in there, but not Comcast.

Please esplain more.

Posted by
Contributor

Sorry I shoulda been more clear...

About 9 months ago I ordered Comcast Digital Voice. I hooked up the modem myself. I initially tried plugging the modem into a phone jack and then trying to plug a phone into another jack. That didn't work. There was a dial tone, I could make calls, and the phone would beep instead of ring and the call would connect if I picked up. Obviously though that was kinda useless if the phone didn't ring.

Last week I figured I'd try it again so we could have more phones and still couldn't get it to work. So I called Comcast and they sent a tech out. He checked some stuff and messed around with the phone box on the outside of my house but still couldn't get it fixed. 

Posted by
Official Employee

---

I'm escalating your issue someone will be in contact with you to get this resolved.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Posted by
New Visitor

I am having the same issue only I am trying to connect a fax in another room. Fax will not work. But worked fine prior to installation of modem in other room.

Posted by
Visitor

regarding nate6996 remarks...

Be prepared to shell out $50 for C to come to your home and repair what they messed up. If you're paying the $3 charge every month because you thought it would cover this forget it, it won't.

Posted by
Contributor

Another Comcast tech came out today and after checking some wires and jacks he found the problem and fixed it. All jacks in the house now work. 

Posted by
New Visitor

We recently switched over to the Xfinity modem but have been Comcast customers for several years. We were told the new modem would give us better service. The home phone stopped working and caused problems with the alarm system after the new modem was connected on December 8, 2014. I contacted an online technician on December 27, 2014 solve the problem. I had to give the technician the new CMA to the modem so that the phone line could be activated. The technician instructed me to plug in the phone cord to the modem. The phone worked because it was plugged directly into a modem. However, the other 3 phones on the same line did not work. After reading everyone's post, I decided not to contact Comcast again.

So, I had an extra phone cord that I used to plug one end into Line 1 of the modem and the other end into the splitter that is plugged directly into a wall phone jack. All phones are now working. The phone cord to the modem must be plugged directly into a wall phone jack to work. This signal provides signals to all other phones that are on the same line.  If you plug in one phone directly to the modem than only one phone will work.  The signal must go to all phones. I hope this helps. I am not an expert but it works.

Posted by
New Visitor

I have had comcast voice for years and was recently sent a new modem.  Ever since then I can call out fine, but when someone tries to call me it goes straight to voice mail.  Their name pops up on the tv, but i cannot answer the call.  It does not ring.  Any thoughts?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

detsuccess wrote:

We recently switched over to the Xfinity modem but have been Comcast customers for several years. We were told the new modem would give us better service. The home phone stopped working and caused problems with the alarm system after the new modem was connected on December 8, 2014. I contacted an online technician on December 27, 2014 solve the problem. I had to give the technician the new CMA to the modem so that the phone line could be activated. The technician instructed me to plug in the phone cord to the modem. The phone worked because it was plugged directly into a modem. However, the other 3 phones on the same line did not work. After reading everyone's post, I decided not to contact Comcast again.

So, I had an extra phone cord that I used to plug one end into Line 1 of the modem and the other end into the splitter that is plugged directly into a wall phone jack. All phones are now working. The phone cord to the modem must be plugged directly into a wall phone jack to work. This signal provides signals to all other phones that are on the same line.  If you plug in one phone directly to the modem than only one phone will work.  The signal must go to all phones. I hope this helps. I am not an expert but it works.

This is commonly called "backfeeding"......

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

danielle0731 wrote:

I have had comcast voice for years and was recently sent a new modem.  Ever since then I can call out fine, but when someone tries to call me it goes straight to voice mail.  Their name pops up on the tv, but i cannot answer the call.  It does not ring.  Any thoughts?

Make sure your phone is nor MUTED...  My grandkids love to push buttons and almost alwaus end uo silencing ther ringer on the phone....Good Luck!

-=Ray=-

Posted by
New Visitor

I tried that, but its not muted.  When someone calls us it goes directly to voice mail.  Thanks though

Posted by
New Visitor

I just had the same problem and got it fixed immediately when I called tech support. The issue was that the previous phone carrier never dis-connected the number that I had comcast port over to Xfinity Voice. Once the original carrier closed my account and disconnected the line all was well. I now have 2 phone numbers ported over and everything works great.

Posted by
New Visitor

I had the same problem when helping a friend convert from comcast business (home business closed) to their home comcast. I got the network all going. then the phones dial out fine but will not ring. right to vmail, and tv prompt.I had to put her cordless phone base right at the modem in the old basement office. not using phone lines at all. The comcast tech chat was good, and patient was on the line for over an hour. I still have to go back and continue. Here is my guess of what the problem is. the wiring way not carry the voltage from the modem far enough, with enough current to trip the ringer. i am looking for electrical info on standard phoneline spec. the modems phone outputs may not be tolerant or large cpacitnce.

phone works fine and rings when plugged directly into modem

and also on a short run to old office, to a phone and fax about 30 ft of wiring

Posted by
New Visitor

You may have a wire crossed somewhere in the home. For most phones working off the telephone companies line if the Tip & Ring wires are reversed they are forgiving and the phone will work. Comcast's modems seem to be sensitive to this reversal, or if there is a short somewhere. The phone will either go dead or it will act as indicated above with the phone having dial tone, and ability to make calls but not ringing when a call comes in but you can pick up when someone is there.

You need to check that the Red (-) or Blue with White stripes wire is going to the #3 slot on the connectors in the cord or jack, and that the Green (+) or White with Blue stripes are going to the #4 Slot on the cord or jack. If any of your cords are wired wrong or are possibly a crossover wire it will cause you to have issues.

Hope this helps.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments