Contributor
TonyC2012

Using existing jack, phone won't ring

So when I ordered Comcast Voice I was told that I could plug the modem into an existing phone jack and all the others would work. When I do that and try to call the phone all that happens is the phone beeps once. If I pick it up I am connected, but the phone won't ring. And there is a dial tone and I can call out...again, just no ring. Anyone else experience this and have a solution?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Using existing jack, phone won't ring

It is totally dependent on your your inside phone wiring is all connected together.  Backfeeding the Comcast eMTA usually works, but the inside phone wiring needs to be looked at and confirmed that all the jacks are connected together properly.

Did a Comcast Tech do the install?  Most times the Comcast tech will do his best to get the inside wiring connected properly.

Did you have phone service with the local phone company and you ported over your number to Comcast?

Has your inside phone wiring & jacks been used before?

Contributor
TonyC2012

We had AT&T phone service for 25 years prior to switching to Comcast. Everything worked fine before. I did the install of the Comcast modem myself. It's not a huge deal for us since we have cordless phones hooked up directly to the modem and hardly ever use the home phone. I was just hoping this would work to make things a little easier. 

There are two phone jacks in the house that were added after the house was built and I believe they were just spliced into the existing phone lines. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

---

Sorry about the issues that you are experiencing. Being that no technician was out to professional install your services your phone jacks have not been activated for Comcast services. To enable it we would  need to have a technician out to your home.

Please let me know if you need more assistance.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor
TonyC2012

What does it mean to activate a phone jack for Comcast service?

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

---

What I mean is that Comcast provides phone service through the coax cable cord running to our EMTA (Our Modem). The EMTA is what gives you your dial tone. If you are plugged directly into the back of our modem and you have a dial tone then your phone is working fine.

If you unplug your phone cord from the back of the modem and plug directly into another phone jack and you do not receive a dial tone then it's an issue with the phone jack. It's possible that particular phone jack may need to be activated for our service which requires a technician to come out to correct.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Regular Problem Solver

Did you disconnect your AT&T service at the Demarc box outside when you installed CDV ???????

Contributor
TonyC2012

Yea I unplugged the jack from the box. When I had a Comcast tech out he then cut the wires in there. So that box is dead. I was hoping then the jacks in the house would all only be connected to eachother and all work when I plugged the Comcast modem into any of them. Apparently not. 

Regular Problem Solver

When I had my CDV installed I had two phone lines coming into my house from AT&T. I decided I only needed one phone line from Comcast so in order to get all the phones to work on one line I ran a male to male jumper to the two females in the Demarc box so that when I backfed one jack in the house all the phones would work.

Contributor
TonyC2012

That's interesting. We had to phone lines a while back so we have two jacks in the CDV. I figured unplugging both of them would do the trick. Of course I can't just try your suggestion now because the Comcast tech cut all the wires in there and I have no idea where they should go. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Tony

You have me confused, you said earlier you did the installation, but the Comcast tech cut the wires.  If you did your own self installation, then why was the Comcast tech out?

I've seen many times where when a sub switched over to CDV, when the local telco came out to do a disconnect on the old landline, they cut out all the wires in the NID, but it doesn't make sense that a Comcast tech would have been in the NID if you did your own self install.  The ATT guy would have been in there, but not Comcast.

Please esplain more.

Contributor
TonyC2012

Sorry I shoulda been more clear...

About 9 months ago I ordered Comcast Digital Voice. I hooked up the modem myself. I initially tried plugging the modem into a phone jack and then trying to plug a phone into another jack. That didn't work. There was a dial tone, I could make calls, and the phone would beep instead of ring and the call would connect if I picked up. Obviously though that was kinda useless if the phone didn't ring.

Last week I figured I'd try it again so we could have more phones and still couldn't get it to work. So I called Comcast and they sent a tech out. He checked some stuff and messed around with the phone box on the outside of my house but still couldn't get it fixed. 

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

---

I'm escalating your issue someone will be in contact with you to get this resolved.

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
nate6996

I am having the same issue only I am trying to connect a fax in another room. Fax will not work. But worked fine prior to installation of modem in other room.

Visitor

regarding nate6996 remarks...

Be prepared to shell out $50 for C to come to your home and repair what they messed up. If you're paying the $3 charge every month because you thought it would cover this forget it, it won't.

Contributor
TonyC2012

Another Comcast tech came out today and after checking some wires and jacks he found the problem and fixed it. All jacks in the house now work.