New Visitor
ddcramer1

fax problems

I'm having trouble getting the fax component of my HP 6500 printer to work.  I plugged the printer directly into the wall jack using the 1-LINE jack on the printer and my cable modem into the printer using the 2-EXT jack.  The fax test indicates I'm not using the correct type of phone line in for the 2-EXT jack.  The users guide for my printer indicates it may not be compatible with some digital phone service.  Anyone have this problem?  If so, how did you fix it, or is it not fixable?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: fax problems

Do you have 2 phone lines from comcast? There are 2 jacks on the back of the modem. Normally L1 is used for voice and l 2 is used for fax. If you only have 1 phone line and it is to be used for fax then plug your printer into jack l 1 using a phone cable.
New Visitor
davidpercy31096

Comcast customer service helped me with this a long time ago.  It has to do with selecting a lower baud rate or something like that.

No I'm having a problem as I tried Majic Jack.  It didn't work and their customer support couldn't fix it.So I uninstalled Majic Jack and now I have no dial tone and no signal to the fax machine.  I can listened to my voice mail on line so I am getting a digital voice connection. Any helpers?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Oh, OK Probably just need to reset the modem by disconnecting all the cables and letting it sit for a few minutes. Or if there is a reset switch recesses in a little hole on the back of the modem, depress that. That will allow the modem to recognize that you have a different box attached.
New Visitor
ddcramer1

I've tried connecting the fax and modem every way possible with no luck; the fax won't work in any configuration and in others I either lose a dial tone or the phone won't accept incoming calls,  Any other ideas? 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Make sure you are using the phone cord that came with the fax, not a standard phone cable.

New Visitor
ddcramer1

Got it figured out finally - thanks.