Contributor

hear clicking noise on the phone

hi every time i use the phone  i hear a clicking noise on the phone line   i have the xfinity gatway  with the phone and wireless router  and internet all in  one modem  thanks you

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: hear clicking noise on the phone

First, disconnect the cord from the eMTA telephony modem L1/L2 jack that connects to the inside wiring in your home.  Plug in a known good wired phone to test it without the inside wiring connected.  It might be a phone or fax device trying to seize the line while you are on the phone.  It could be any device like a Tivo, water meter, fax machine or fax printer, or even a cordless or wired phone that is failing.

Give it a test with just one wired phone connected directly to the eMTA to narrow down the issue, and then if it stops, then we will need to troubleshoot which device is causing it.

Contributor

i have the cordles phone hook right to the eAMTA  modem i have no fax or prainter in my home i have 2 set of cordles phone in my home and tryed both of them and still hear the clicking noise every now and then i replace all wires like the phone card that go to the phone to to EAMTA  modem and still have clicking noise every now and then 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Then please contact Comcast support, and hopefully they will troubleshoot it and possibly send out a tech to replace the eMTA.

Contributor

i just did and thay going to sand someone  out early in the am 

New Visitor
tilley-family

Did they fix it?  If not, I bet they either told you to buy a new phone or that they'd have to charge you a service fee and inspect the lines inside the house (walls).  Don't do either yet... By any chance, has there been a lot of precipitation in your neighborhood recently?  If so, that's your problem.  I live in Seattle, WA and you would think a company that's been in this area for so long would know how to deal with a little rain but they don't.  Four different residences with Comcast phones over the years and all got that clicking or static when it rained much for more than a day.

Here's your two solutions:

1) Buy a big tarp, find a way to seal it to your house and all the way around the outside Comcast box - but in a way that they can still access it easily when they need to.  Or move to Arizona.

2) For some bizarre reason, a lot of times just messing with the system (as if it had a "mind" we could mess with) works.  For example, in the past 5 years whenever I have that problem it's usually much worse when I'm making outgoing calls vs. incoming calls (or other way around?).  So if you hear the noise, hang up and have the other person call you back.  Even weirder is that frequently after doing this for several outgoing calls (hanging up and reversing who calls who), the problem seems to get better.  Go figure. 

Comcast will swear up and down this has noting to do with anything.  But trust me - I've spent a total of several weeks' worth of hours on the phone with them, paid for service fees, been without a working phone and line, paid for new equipment and even some new phone lines in the house walls and from the wall to the phone... just about everything you can imagine, they've told me to do - especially if it takes time and money.  Gottal love 'me, but sometimes Businesses can be pretty dumb and unhelpful. 

Good luck, hope this offers some relief.