Contributor
kaliguy42

home line in use

My vtech phone says home line in use and I'm getting no dial tone,just a crackling sound.All the phones are on the hook and hung up.The link and phone light on my modem are flashing(touchtone telephony modem).I have reset the modem and taken out and pluggged the phone line back in,but it doesn't seem to help.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: home line in use

[ Edited ]

That normally indicates a inside wiring short or fault.  Unplug the cord from the eMTA telephony modem and connect a good wired phone directly to the L1/L2 jack on the eMTA.  Give it a test.  You might need to reset the eMTA by pressing the small indented button on the panel where the cables attach for 10 seconds.

If it works with the phone connected directly, then you need to troubleshoot or hire someone to troubleshoot your inside telephone wiring in the home.  It can be a shorted wire where everything is spliced together, a corrorded jack, short in the jack, a bad phone cable on any of your telephones the home, or even shorts caused by animals & rodents on the outside, under the home.  Unplug all phones to start troubleshooting.

You can try to troubleshoot yourself, hire a local low voltage contractor or hire Comcast.  Because the inside phone wiring is owned by the homeowner like the electrical & plumbing, you would bear the cost of repairs.

Contributor
kaliguy42

It works with a good corded phone plugged into the modem.I changed the phone cords and am guessing it might be the vtech phones causing the problem.

New Visitor
ctrick67

Hello,Im having the same problem that your having.

Could it be a Comcast issue?

Contributor
kaliguy42

Ok I found out the problem.There was a phone cord plugged into the outlet in the bedroom with no phone attached (we just got new phones and didn't put one in that room)Now I feel stupid for posting this,hahaha.Check to make sure all your phones are correctly hooked up.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ctrick67 wrote: Hello,Im having the same problem that your having. Could it be a Comcast issue?

Could be. Please follow the advice in JayInAlg's post to find out: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Voice-Service-and-Equipment/home-line-in-use/m-p/1722231#M15638