Regular Contributor
alvordcia

out of area ~ no name/no number

First I do have my anonymous call rejection turned on (*77) but I am getting several calls where my caller ID shows no name or number and out of area and am assuming since it is election time these are survey related or one of the candidates begging for money..well they can forget that..is annoying if I am home so keep one of those compressed air horns that I use at football games - Go Eagles - nearby and give them a blast if home..is there anything I am missing or can do to block these calls as I did not have this problem with Verizon..any help or suggestions greatly appreciated..of to walk the dog as she is sitting here with her eyes and legs crossed
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Bronze Star Contributor
Richard_J

Re: out of area ~ no name/no number

Dear alvordcia,

Please remember that any data that is not transferred to our switching equipment is not going to be displayed on your Caller ID. If you’re seeing a blank screen, “unknown,” “unavailable,” or “out of area” on your display, then the information was either not originally transmitted, or was lost during transmission. This is s common occurrence with both long distance and business calls. As for cell phone calls, how the information is displayed may also depend on the cell tower that the calling party is connecting through. I hope this helps.

Richard

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

[ Edited ]

Richard_J wrote:

Dear alvordcia,

Please remember that any data that is not transferred to our switching equipment is not going to be displayed on your Caller ID. If you’re seeing a blank screen, “unknown,” “unavailable,” or “out of area” on your display, then the information was either not originally transmitted, or was lost during transmission. This is s common occurrence with both long distance and business calls. As for cell phone calls, how the information is displayed may also depend on the cell tower that the calling party is connecting through. I hope this helps.

Richard

Richard,
I also have "screen all anonymous calls" turned on, yet I see this:  
I assume that the call I received that is listed as "Unknown" is because the data was lost during transmission, etc?  Does a call have to be actually encoded as "Number Blocked" to be rejected, as opposed to anything other than a phone number?
Enquiring minds want to know...
Thanks,

Message Edited by slouke on 03-12-2008 09:38 AM
Email Expert

Yes. Anonymous call blocking only blocks when the caller has intentionally asked to have their number hidden. If some other problem prevents the number from being transmitted, the call is allowed through. They don't want to block calls due to problems outside the caller's control.
Regular Problem Solver
slouke

Barmar, thanks.  I kind of thought that, it seemed like the reasonable way to set it up.

Contributor

Barmar wrote:
Yes. Anonymous call blocking only blocks when the caller has intentionally asked to have their number hidden. If some other problem prevents the number from being transmitted, the call is allowed through. They don't want to block calls due to problems outside the caller's control.

What kind problems prevents a number from being transmitted? I have anonymous calls blocked for a reason, which is, I do not want ANY anonymous call to get through to my phone.
Email Expert

Sometimes there are compatibility issues between different phone companies, and the caller ID information can't get through. Also, some foreign phone systems aren't able to transmit caller ID.

Basically, it's the difference between "I don't want to tell you my phone number" and "my phone company is unable to send you my phone number." The first is anonymous, the second is unknown.
Bronze Star Contributor

I know this is an old topic, but it seems every "Out Of Area" call is a someone soliciting donations. It seems these people are exploiting something in the system that allows them to hide their number and let their calls get through even though Call Screening is activated. Call Screening is next to useless since I've switched from my landline with all of these Out Of Area calls getting through on a daily basis.