Contributor
manuel5

setting up HP fax/printer to modem as fax machine

Can i hook up a 4-in-1 HP printer/fax/copier/scanner to my 3-in-1 modem/router/wifi?  How do I set up the modem to accept fax calls?

Official Employee

Re: setting up HP fax/printer to modem as fax mach

Do you have phone service?
New Visitor
sunshinegirl13

I also have an HP All in One (Officejet 6600) that i just purchased.  I have set up the fax through the wireless settings and it seems to work fine (pass the test).  My only problem is that in order to receive faxes I have to be home because of the fact being that I have voice mail through my Comcast line.  In order for it to auto answer there is the need for an additional phone number.  I haven't checked in with Comcast/Xfinity on the additional charges for the second phone number or if I could even get an additional line as of yet, but planning to.  Hopefully the additional $$ are too much, I'm already paying enough.  

Visitor
crazedrn1

I also have a wireless HP all in one.  How did you get it set up to send and recieve faxes?  All I get is "active phone line no detected"!  

Contributor
manuel5

yes, i have phone service. i found the answer on my printer's user's guide,had to use the phone cord that came with the printer (HP says their phone cord is different from other generic phone cords). because i already have another phone line for voice, i asked comcast to turn off the voicemail on my fax line.  I then turned on the Auto Answer so my printer could receive faxes automatically. comcast current rate for secondary line is $21.90/mo

New Visitor
sunshinegirl13

Make sure the phone line is connected to line-in #1. and not the one that has the white cover on it. If you have the wireless setup it was pretty easy. Also make are you are entering your home phone number when prompted during setup. Good luck.....

The biggest issue that I am having now is: I have an iMac All in One desk top about 4 yrs old with snow leopard 10.6.1, when I download the software it tells me that I have problem with download because I don't have 10.6 or better (which I do have). It won't let me have the HP Utility tray. I'm thinking that I will have to uninstall then re-install, but not today, very busy.
New Visitor
sunshinegirl13

Wow!!! an additional $21.90 a month, the fax ain't that important to me, just nice to have when I need it. They're already draining my wallet dry....
Official Employee

Actually it's 11.95 second line with no features, 21.95 with features, fax lines don't need features
Contributor
manuel5

thanks for the tip!  i'll call comcast to downgrade my fax line to $11.95.

Visitor
crazedrn1

My HP officejet 8600 isn't setting up as a fax.  I have the 2 prong wire, but still nothing.  HP has you buying all these different wires:  RJ-11, RJ45.  I have WiFi and bluetooth, why can't I use them?  It seems so much easier.  

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?  there are quite a few posts to set up, but only one answer  :smileysad:

Regular Contributor
14Kc

I too just installed an HP printer today!  So - assuming reading your post there is NO WAY of using Xfinity's Voice mail Service along with the auto answer on the fax or have you found other alternitives?

Visitor
crazedrn1

I gave up waiting for a reply and did a "chat" online.  You would not believe how easy it was for me to fix my fax.  NO ONE mentioned that if you connect your gateway directly into a phone jack the rest of your phone jacks are now accessable!!! I now have my fax plugged directly into a jack and it works fine.  AMAZING!  Took a month to find out something soo darn simple!  Good luck.  Hope you find an answer too.  

I will have to get rid of the voice if I want to have my fax answer automatically again though.

Regular Contributor
14Kc

Thanks! I was able to 'hook' up the fax to phone line after trial n error!  I'd like to use the Voice Mail & Fax  together but guess this can not be done??? Can an answering machine be hooked up to our Xfinity X1 equipment to have use of a voice recorder & Fax machine for 24/7 useage? Thanks

Contributor
manuel5

thanks crazedrn1!  AMAZING tip!

Regular Contributor
14Kc

If an answering michine is able to be hooked up - let me know! How ? Thanks!

New Visitor
ctupton

I could not believe HP help line could not help me set up the 8600 Officejet Pro printer fax with my wireless Comcast Internet service. She told me I had to use the cord to connect the printer to the wall. That contradicts the HP instructions about using the wireless syste,. That says DON'T have a cord connecting the printer to the wall.  I have read the other answers here, but I am still confused. Thanks, chris (christine)

Regular Contributor
14Kc

ctupton -  Are using the X1 Platform?  If so and have the Combo Wireless  / Router single tall slender box you can hook your HP Printer on the same line as your Phone Line on the back of this box but you will need to purchase an adaptor that allows 2 items to go into a single phone connect on the wireless/Router box. Hope this helps!  It's how I was able to get my HP wireless fax up and running! PLUS be sure to use the cord which comes with the printer as a generic longer one which I had would not allow me to get the machine working only until I switch back to the HP cord ( as stated in the Instructions)  would it start working correctly!  Good Luck! 

Contributor

ii have an hp all in one and cannot fax.  the 2 wire phone cord is plugged into the wall and then to the line 1 on the fax; the ext 2 cord is plugged into the adaptor on the modem; another cord from the modem to the answering machine.  also, i have a router connected to the modem. help

Regular Contributor
14Kc

If you are using the X1 - Xfinity wireless router / modem combo tower - Hook the HP Fax line  and Phone line together using a double line connector see below -in  the upper left side where the single phone line usually goes. Hook HP into electrical outlet and it should work. If you hook the HP line to the Right side of phone line without using the dual connector it will NOT work! I did this myself when I was setting up my HP printer !  Below is the 2 for 1 connector I used:

RCA® TP257/TP257X 2-IN-1 Modular Adapter

Contributor

thank you, that does work.

Regular Contributor
14Kc

:smileyblush:Glad I could help!

New Visitor
jrb311

I plugged my HP8600 directly into the wall and still nothing. I have this AIO at home and at the office with Comcast and same result.

Contributor

i have comcast x1 platform/voice modem and a router.  the cord from the fax line 1 port plugs into the double adaptor on the modem.  another cord from the double adaptor to the wall.  the third cord from the fax ext 2 port to the telephone/answering machine.  i hope this works for you.

New Visitor
ask-jud

Need to have a double ring when a fax comes in.  How do I accomplish this?

Contributor

i'm not sure what you mean by double ring-have you called the manufacturer?

Regular Contributor
14Kc

Are you using - RCA® TP257/TP257X 2-IN-1 Modular Adapter which is pictured above?  This has to be inserted in the top LEFT Phone slot on the X1 all-in-one Wireless/Router box.  Then insert the Phone line and HP Printer line into this single device. 

New Visitor
ctupton

No one ever suggested that. I will check on it. Where do I get that?Thanks, christine

Contributor

i think you can get them from Radio Shack, Best Buy, and probably ATT stores-probably others as well.

Regular Contributor
14Kc

also try WALMART or a Hardware Store. It's around $3  cheap fix! Worked for me anyway!

New Visitor

I just bought a Samsung M2070fw 3 in 1 printer. After spending several hours trying to get the fax set up using what they call a "Netwrik PC fax" driver which is supposed to allow use of the fax via internet voice service, i gave up and called samsung tech service.

the tech "took over" remote access of my pc and proceded to chk all the software, chk various reference docs and associates and after about an hour advised me that it couldn't be done without a second phone line. He said that it was the same with all samsung fax products.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

14Kc wrote:

If you are using the X1 - Xfinity wireless router / modem combo tower - Hook the HP Fax line  and Phone line together using a double line connector see below -in  the upper left side where the single phone line usually goes. Hook HP into electrical outlet and it should work. If you hook the HP line to the Right side of phone line without using the dual connector it will NOT work! I did this myself when I was setting up my HP printer !  Below is the 2 for 1 connector I used:

My HP 7520 is located in my office and connected to a phone jack there and worked perfectly until Comcast upgraded my modem/phone box to the new and improved model with the wifi router (that I do not use) in order to give me the faster internet speeds.

I've always had the phone line out of the comcast modem into a splitter like you've shown plugged into my in house phone jack and the right side out to my home phone/answering machine.

After my in home answering machine would beep to take a message my HP all  in one would have been listening for the incoming fax signal and pick up just fine.

Now that I have this new box I can send faxes just fine but it never hears the incoming fax signal so I cannot receive faxes. There is definitely something set differently in the new and improved xfinity box than in the older one.

btw I know this is an old thread but it's the only match that came up when i looked for this issue.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an HP All in One (printer, copier, scanner, fax) Office Jet Pro 8500 A plus, this is how I finally hooked it up and it works:

printer line 1 to dual jack in modem (I also have the xfinity x1 platform modem)

printer ext. to telephone answering machine

dual jack from modem to wall jack.

New Visitor
ask-jud

Thank you so much.  It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Visitor
ask-jud

Thank you so much for your good help! 

New Visitor
dryparty

how do I set it up to work

Contributor

As above, this is the way I set mine up:

I have an HP All in One (printer, copier, scanner, fax) Office Jet Pro 8500 A plus, this is how I finally hooked it up and it works:

1. printer line 1 to dual jack in modem (I also have the xfinity x1 platform modem)

2. printer ext. to telephone answering machine

3. dual jack from modem to wall jack.

Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anon853133 wrote:

As above, this is the way I set mine up:

1. printer line 1 to dual jack in modem (I also have the xfinity x1 platform modem)

2. printer ext. to telephone answering machine

3. dual jack from modem to wall jack.

Hope this helps.

This would be great if I wanted to (or could) put my printer in my living room instead of my office! Allowed the installer to upgrade my system to the newer modem/phone/router while installing the X1 Cable TV system, which should have had absolutely no effect on the operation of the phones.

In point of fact, the two line adapter/splitter (image you supplied) wiring is the same whether you plug it into the modem or the in house wiring or your printer. Put another way, the phone wiring is identical regardless of which side/device is plugged in first and you have predefined the appropriate # of rings. (Which is why this issue is such a conundrum)

Contributor

I also have the Comcast X1 Platform.

New Visitor
roseoct

I have a question for ya: 

I have a line via xfinity.  No phone is hooked up to it.  I ran the phone line from my HP6500 printer (fax) to the xfinity modem.  I can send faxes no problem.  I cannot receive faxes unless I push a button to manually pick up the call.  Is there a way to not have a phone hooked up and still have voicmail via xfinity and receive faxes? I called xfinity and they were not help at all.  Would appreciate your advice on this. 

Regular Problem Solver

You can't have auto answer work on your fax as long as you have voicemail,they interfere with each other.

New Visitor
roseoct

:smileysad: Thanks.

Contributor

Thank you.  I did not have an answer.

New Visitor
vivianperez17

do i need a phone jack or can i use the cable

Do I need a phone line jack to use my all in one Brother fax/scanner/printer or can i just connect using my internet bundle with comcast which includes phone as well. but i dont use because i have no phone jack in the property??

New Visitor
vivianperez17

Re: do i need a phone jack or can i use the cable

please emal me at vivianperez1717@gmail.com with any advice to my question thank

you

Contributor

Re: do i need a phone jack or can i use the cable

[ Edited ]

In order to use the fax function I believe you will need a phone jack.  Have you called the Brother or Comcast?  Do you have Comcast telephone service?