New Visitor
patches105

telephony modem

Where and what type of modem can I buy to replace the one I'm renting?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: telephony modem

There is only one choice and it is not in all Comcast markets.  At select Best Buy's with Comcast Connection Centers in them you can purchase a Arris TM722G eMTA.  The Comcast rep will arrange installation and you purchase it from Best Buy.  They are $150 plus tax and then Comcast will charge you to get it installed to replace the rental.

Check this LINK for locations that are selling the eMTA's.  Look for the Comcast rep in the black or red shirt hanging out in the TV department.  If none of these stores are local to you, then your Comcast area is not yet allowing customer owned eMTA's.

Get a equipment receipt for returning your rental modem so if there are billing issues you have proof it was returned.

New Visitor
patches105

I talked to a salesman here at my local best buy and he said they don't carry them anymore.He also told me that arris telephony modem is what to get and amazon carries them.I also see them on ebay,so what gives?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The store must be on the list.  There are stores the the Comcast Connection Center closed, and just has a 3rd party salesman instead.

There are no other options online.  The ones on Ebay are "unreturned equipment" and will not be provisioned, as they are "hot".

Contributor
wpaul

How can I purchase telephony modem to replace the one I am renting from Comcast.  There is not Comcast Connection Center at Best Buy in the entire state of Alabama.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Sorry, if your region is not yet partipating in having a owned eMTA, you are out of luck for now.

If you want to direct your comments directly to your regional managment, the contact list is HERE.

Contributor

I just called Best Buy in my area(Bellevue, WA)  and they told me they don't sell them and the Comcast rep told them to have customers call Comast to purchase it.

I called Comcast and of course couldn't get anyone to hep me so I decided to do a live chat and was told I could purchase my own telephony modem but will still be charged $7.00 per month because the voice equipment is a Comcast exclusive. I couldn't believe it.  I guess Comcast just doesn't want my business anymore so I think I am cancelling my phone installation.

New Visitor
patches105

That's amazing that they will sell you one,and still charge you a monthly rate.This is what happens when a company gets too big.I think comcast should be boycotted.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

beebs54 wrote: ....I decided to do a live chat and was told I could purchase my own telephony modem but will still be charged $7.00 per month because the voice equipment is a Comcast exclusive.

No, that's not true. What is true is that you should never use Comcast chat.

New Visitor
patches105

So we can buy one from comcast and save the monthly rental charge?

Contributor
wpaul

To the Comcast Cable expert:  Is it true that Comcast customers can buy a telephony modem from Comcast and save the $7.00 a month rental charge (assuming no modems are for sale by retailers in the customer service area)?  If so, how much will Comcast charge for the latest Arris modem?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

There is only one customer-owned telephony modem (eMTA) approved by Comcast and that is an Arris TM722G purchased from Best Buy with a Comcast Connection Center. The unit does both internet and telephone service, but users would still need their own router for a home network. The customer-owned eMTA program is not available in all areas. Do not buy any other eMTA from any other store, Comcast will not provision it.

Contributor

Here is my story on the modem. I did purchase the  Arris TM722G  from Best Buy thru the Comcast rep. I took it home and my Comcast installer came out and hooked it up.  He told me it would not accept the billing system what ever that means. He said to go back to Best Buy and have the Comcast rep show it has been billed. I took it back to Best Buy and the Comcast rep told me that they don't do anything to it. He told me to return it and call Comcast and tell them I want to purchase the one.  When I call Comcast they tell me I can't purchase one.  This is really ridiculous. I just wanted to purchase a modem and not pay the $7.00 monthly rental fee but it looks like I am stuck. If I buy another one, I get to pay Comcast another installation charge and if that one doesn't work then what do I do?

Thanks

Contributor
wpaul

Not being allowed to buy your own telephony modem, thereby avoiding the $7.00 monthly rental fee is criminal as far as I am concerned.  Perhaps we need to write letters to the President of Comcast.  Can we get a petition going?  Otherwise, why continue to be a Comcast customer?  I can switch to Knology in my area, or I can go to satellite TV.  I am totally peed off that Comcast won't allow me to buy a telephony modem.  They don't even have a Best Buy connection center in the entire state of Alabama, where I live.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

beebs54 wrote:

Here is my story on the modem. I did purchase the  Arris TM722G  from Best Buy thru the Comcast rep. I took it home and my Comcast installer came out and hooked it up.  He told me it would not accept the billing system what ever that means....

To get help, you can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post.

Or you can ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

Recognized Contributor

FYI, the Best Buy store in West Palm no longer sells the voice telephony modem. They are on the list linked above. They said comcast won't let them sell them anymore and everyone needs to rent. Even comcast tells people they can buy it from that store but the answer is NO. I live in Orlando. Is there ANY WAY I can buy the Arris voice modem instead of renting it? I was able to purchase the Motorola surfboard internet modem no problem. But why not voice?? I keep my modems separate.
New Visitor
patches105

I was told to drop the phone service, then buy a modem from best buy that would work.