Reply
Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd
Posts: 314
Registered: ‎01-03-2012

voip modems

anybody know which docsis 3.0 modems are voip capable? the compatible list doesnt specify. the rep today said she was gonna send me th motorola sb6121 and that  it was voice capable but from everything i saw online it looks like it only has one r jack in the back which i would use to feed my router

Official Employee
ComcastNick
Posts: 1,152
Registered: ‎12-13-2011

Re: voip modems

Are you talking about modems that work with Comcast phone service?

If so, then you need an eMTA modem, if you mean a different company VOIP service, then any modem will work.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd
Posts: 314
Registered: ‎01-03-2012

Re: voip modems

i was referrring to comcast voip. just got it last month but they gave me a "end of life"2.0 modem . I have blast speed internet and wanted a 3.0 modem thats rated for that speed according to their own website

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd
Posts: 314
Registered: ‎01-03-2012

Re: voip modems

i just wanted to make sure it was voip capable before they mailed it to me. My current modem is the arris 502g and it has an ethernet jack plus a phone jack whereas the motorola sb6121 only appears to have an ethernet jack

Connection Expert
EG
Posts: 41,797
Registered: ‎12-24-2003

Re: voip modems

[ Edited ]

cldlhd wrote:

anybody know which docsis 3.0 modems are voip capable? the compatible list doesnt specify. the rep today said she was gonna send me th motorola sb6121 and that  it was voice capable but from everything i saw online it looks like it only has one r jack in the back which i would use to feed my router


Yet another clueless rep.. The list does indeed show compatible DOCSIS 3 eMTA's. Click the "show only DOCSIS 3" devices checkbox and look for "telephony modems".

Official Employee
ComcastNick
Posts: 1,152
Registered: ‎12-13-2011

Re: voip modems


cldlhd wrote:

i just wanted to make sure it was voip capable before they mailed it to me. My current modem is the arris 502g and it has an ethernet jack plus a phone jack whereas the motorola sb6121 only appears to have an ethernet jack



SB6121 will not work for phone service, you need an eMTA.  Arris 722 and Motorola SBV6220 are the two most common we use.  They should be able to select DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA from their mailing options to get you the right equipment.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd
Posts: 314
Registered: ‎01-03-2012

Re: voip modems

thanks for the help, local service center seemed reluctant to do the swap , called comcast they said they put a notation on my account saying the local center should do tha swap 

Official Employee
ComcastNick
Posts: 1,152
Registered: ‎12-13-2011

Re: voip modems


cldlhd wrote:

thanks for the help, local service center seemed reluctant to do the swap , called comcast they said they put a notation on my account saying the local center should do tha swap 



That is because the local service centers normally don't carry eMTA modems for swaps, and to get you a new one, they are supposed to either mail one out, or send a tech to do the swap.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd
Posts: 314
Registered: ‎01-03-2012

Re: voip modems

comcast told me they'd do the swap at the service center when i tech chatted last night but they refused again today. Representative at center said he'd make an appt for sunday morning but couldnt guarantee i wouldnt get the same outdated modem. Called comcast after and the phone rep told me i was down for a docsis 3.0 emta. my installer was a subcontractor even though i specifically asked for iin house installer, bumped into an xfinity installer today and he told me he doesnt use the arris 502g that i got anymore only the arris 722g now and i got the older probably refurbished modem because it was a subcontractor and theyre using up old stock and figured most people either wouldnt notice or care. Hopefullyl all will be right now-phew!