Visitor

AOL Explore taking over can't get use direct internet explorer

Last week I went to the AOL site to down load the latest AIM software to get a screen name for my daughter. In doing so, I thought I made sure that AOL explorer was not set as the default. After this was done, I noticed that I could not open the internet explorer that linked to the COMCAST.NET site.  In fact I couldn't access any internet site. I figured that the AOL buddies had somehow inserted their explorer as the default. I found the AOL explorer in my program files and was able to open it and access the internet.  I have been unable to make my previous internet explorer the default and infact when I click on the icon, the internet explorer screen pops up and states that it "connecting" but in fact it is not. This screen needs to be alt-ctrl deleted in order to get rid of it.  I am afraid to uninstall the AOL explorer because it might not solve the problem and then I wouldn't able to get on the internet.  I have confirmed that my cable modem is working because I other devices hooked up to the router that have connectivity to the internet.  Any suggestions on solving this? 
Most Valued Poster
runnoft

Re: AOL Explore taking over can't get use direct internet explorer

AOL is notorious for this kind of aggravating baloney and that is reason enough to avoid AIM.  There are other instant messaging clients that are better that will do what AIM will do.  Since I'm not an IMer, I'm not the person to recommend one, but I wouldn't install AIM or anything else put out by AOL. 

To get rid of AOL Explorer but keep AIM, try this:
Mac Expert
Joel

My Winders-using brethren tell me that Trillian is a fine, multi-protocol IM client that will work on the AIM network.
Connection Expert
EG

I second Trillian !!

Dynamic app !!
Most Valued Poster
-SIG-

mothettsao wrote:
Last week I went to the AOL site to down load the latest AIM software to get a screen name for my daughter. In doing so, I thought I made sure that AOL explorer was not set as the default. After this was done, I noticed that I could not open the internet explorer that linked to the COMCAST.NET site.  In fact I couldn't access any internet site. I figured that the AOL buddies had somehow inserted their explorer as the default. I found the AOL explorer in my program files and was able to open it and access the internet.  I have been unable to make my previous internet explorer the default and infact when I click on the icon, the internet explorer screen pops up and states that it "connecting" but in fact it is not. This screen needs to be alt-ctrl deleted in order to get rid of it.  I am afraid to uninstall the AOL explorer because it might not solve the problem and then I wouldn't able to get on the internet.  I have confirmed that my cable modem is working because I other devices hooked up to the router that have connectivity to the internet.  Any suggestions on solving this? 

Curious if you downloaded the stand-alone AIM install or the "All in one" AOL package. I think might have downloaded the "All in one" package due to describing that AOL Explorer is installed also... the AIM install should be AIM only.  The AOL link below shows the description of each download you can choose from.

http://discover.aol.com/downloads/?=AOLCMP00300000000427