New Visitor
LeoC4

Cannot connect to NOAA.gov and related sites

COMCAST is preventing me from connecting to company websites at NOAA.  I can't even access the public site (www.noaa.gov).  What's going on?  What do I need to do to fix the problem?

Email Expert
Latoque

Re: Cannot connect to NOAA.gov and related sites

[ Edited ]

This is the correct link. 

http://www.noaa.gov/

I'm using Comcast and had no problem getting to it.   Something just got corrupted at the link you are trying to use, or you were trying to type it in wrong.  It happens.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor

LeoC4 -

Although I didn't have problems today, there have been more than a few occasions where I could not reach weather.gov or noaa.gov over the past couple of months. The problem has always cleared itself later in the day, however, when I just can't wait...

My solution has been to temporarily change the dns entries from Comcast to another dns provider.  After browsing those sites, I change it back to the Comcast DNS ip(s).  This workaround has solved my problem.

I believe there have been a couple of topics in this forum about the noaa or weather.gov sites having this problem.

Here is a recent one (Jan 24):

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/Re-Weather-Gov-DNS/td-p/1175625

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

This has been an on-and-off issue. It's due to Comcast moving to DNSSEC, which requires security between DNS servers. The .GOV domain doesn't always properly update their security certificates, which then causes Comcast's DNS to block it since it's not sure it's a valid DNS record.

Short of using alternate DNS, you can also add the domain to your computer's HOSTS file (Windows), which overrides DNS. Only safe to do if you REALLY know what you are doing.

New Visitor
LeoC4

It's happened again...

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is why we can not connect. I contacted the NOAA webmaster. It is Comcasts fault. if they(comcast) dont resolve this i will quit Comcast outright. Too expensive for this not to work. i attached the E-mail.

A routine key rollover for www.crh.noaa.gov and www.noaa.gov was
performed last night.  Comcast has not been able to resolve these URLs
since that time.  All comcast users are now unable to resolve
www.crh.noaa.gov and www.noaa.gov.

The NOAA Web Operations Center has been notified and they are assisting.
  As more records do the key rollover more URLs will become inaccessible
to comcast users.

Ron Jones
National Weather Service
Office of the Chief Information Officer
Silver Spring, MD

Regular Problem Solver
DoubleG

I clicked on your links and your right they won't open. However I just clicked on the link in in the above post by Latoque which is an old post and it opened to NOAA.gov....

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

The links in Gunner's post are invalid:

wlmailhtml:{338F9C25-B6A8-4819-A5D9-7D970D9D9C6A}mid://00000000/!x-usc:http://www.crh.noaa.gov/

I have no idea what that is. Firefox doesn't know how to handle it.

That said, I noticed no problems yesterday or today with my normal links.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

>wlmailhtml:{338F9C25-B6A8-4819-A5D9-7D970D9D9C6A}mid://00000000/!x-usc:http://www.crh.noaa.gov/

This long string appears to be the html code from windows live mail (wlmailhtml) when copying a link from an email.  I doubt anything can read it except windows live mail.