Contributor

Chrome and the Xfinity Home Page

Hi.  I have been using Google Chrome to access the Xfinity home page and my email for awhile, and have had no issues.  I also delete my entire browing history daily and have never experienced a problem.  Today I cleared the entire history and the Xfinity page will not load.  I simply get a blank page with no error messages.  I deleted cookies and the page loaded, but when I closed and reopened the browser, again there was just a blank page.  In fact, the only way I can get the page to load is to first delete the cookies and reload the page.

Again, I have the same settings as before when it worked.  This only started today after clearing the history.  For the record, I do not experience this with IE, but prefer Chrome as it loads faster.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Re: Chrome and the Xfinity Home Page

I find nothing useful on the xfinity home page, why do people want to use it?

How about my.yahoo.com ?

or www.google.com

Contributor

I'm not fond of it either, but I use it as the link to sign in to email.  I also switched the homepage to the Comcast login page thinking that would solve the problem, but it didn't.  It loads the same blank page.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Since you use chrome, you can just use gmail.com Google mail doesn't have any of these issues.

I only get the notifications from this forum which I waste too much time reading on comcast, and forward it to outlook.com (using a special alias I created and its own folder).  However if you actually use the comcast email, both outlook.com and gmail can do pop and send email using the comcast identity, and get the messages.

See this page

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=21289

If you'd like to centralize all your email from different accounts into one Gmail account, use Mail Fetcher. You can download messages from up to five other email accounts, including accounts from Gmail and other email providers.

Using Google Apps? To fetch messages from a Google Apps account, please use our POP1 settings to configure Mail Fetcher.

What is Mail Fetcher, and how does it work?

Mail Fetcher downloads all your old emails as well as new emails--if you just need to centralize new emails, try auto-forwarding your mailinstead (Note: auto-forwarding only works for non-Gmail accounts).

Setting up Mail Fetcher is easy and free, but the email accounts you'd like to fetch from must support POP access and, in the case of Gmail addresses, have POP access enabled. Some free email services don't offer POP access to their users, so please contact the customer service department of your other webmail provider to determine if POP access is available in your non-Google email account. Once you've set up Mail Fetcher, Google will check your other accounts on a regular basis, and new mail will appear automatically in Gmail. Gmail checks each account at different rates, which are based on previous attempts to fetch new messages; you can't choose the frequency.

Contributor

Thanks for the information.  I can also use Internet Explorer, since it seems to have no issues.  I was simply wondering why Comcast would suddenly stop loading in Chrome when I seemed to have no real issues before.  Every other site still loads fine.

Thanks again, though.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

You can install IE tab into chrome and configure it to use the IE engine instead of webkit/chrome engine on the xfinity web sites.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ie-tab/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd?hl=en

Contributor

That looks interesting.  I'll check it out.  Thanks!

Security Expert
CajunTek

Hmm, I have chrome here and the comcast page works just fine for me.

TANSTAAFL!!

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

I use safari which also uses webkit and comcast page works for me also.

Contributor

That's what I don't understand.  I've been using Chrome for months with no issues until today.  I spent an hour unsuccesfully trying to load the page before I gave up and went back to Explorer.  At least for now.