Contributor
Accepted Solution

Comcast Home Page

I get an error message on the Comcast home page. The home page is the only page I get this error on. I also get no mail notification. See error below:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
Timestamp: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 00:35:08 UTC

Line: 34
Char: 9846
Code: 0
URI: http://www.comcast.net/layout/js/compressed/home_beta.js?r=32065-12345

Line: 34
Char: 10086
Code: 0
URI: http://www.comcast.net/layout/js/compressed/home_beta.js?r=32065-12345

Regular Problem Solver
SpokaneScott

Re: Comcast Home Page

Are you using Firefox or something? Try Internet Explorer and see if you get that same message.
Contributor

No I'm using Internet Explorer 8. Went by the folks house the other day and my dads computer with the same browser is doing the same thing.
Regular Problem Solver
SpokaneScott

weird!!! the error message looks like your using Mozilla/4.0

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0

Mac Expert
Joel

All versions of IE start off with Mozilla 4.0 in the user agent. It's a remnant from the early days of the browser wars. In order for IE to work on sites that were coded for Netscape 4, IE had to partially spoof itself so the site would serve the code to the browser. All other (modern) browsers use the Mozilla 5.0 identifier as this showed that they were using the rebuilt-from-scratch Gecko engine that started to take shape after NS 4 was abandoned and NS 5 never shipped, opting instead to wait for the 6.0 release (which even then was still only half-baked). Even today, because web developers don't do browser identification correctly (they sniff browser ID rather than rendering engine), there's a lot of spoofing that has to happen in the User Agent to make alternative browsers work. For instance, SeaMonkey and Camino are two Gecko browsers that use the exact same rendering engine as Firefox, but unless the put a "like-Firefox" string in the UA, most sites sniffing specifically for Firefox would serve these perfectly good browsers with an Update Browser page.
Email Expert
CCCarole

I have been using Internet Explorer 8 since it was released.  Have you checked under Internet Options, 'Home Page' at the top to see if there more than one address is listed there?

You could also try the 'My Comcast' as your homepage, just to test.  The My Comcast homepage is a lite version of the Comcast homepage.  You can click on 'Customize Your Comcast.net experience' link from the regular homepage.  The link is directly below the Sign in box on the far right side.

(http://www.comcast.net/mycomcast/)  

This min-tour explains My Comcast, and how to get started using it: http://downloads.comcast.net/tutorial/mycomcast/

See if that works for you, and post back the results.  I use it myself, and have a shortcut to it right on my desktop. I realize this doesn't solvve your problem of why you are unable to get to the regular homepage tho.  Hopefully someone else will be able to solve that problem for you.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

Works just fine with the Comcast.net custom page. The only problem seem to be the regular Comcast.net page and only the front page at that. Seem to have something to do with the email link on that page. I'm unable to see if I have new email without actually going to the mailbox.
Email Expert
CCCarole

SubZer0 wrote:
Works just fine with the Comcast.net custom page. The only problem seem to be the regular Comcast.net page and only the front page at that. Seem to have something to do with the email link on that page. I'm unable to see if I have new email without actually going to the mailbox.

A bunch of questions for you:

1) Did you check under Internet Options to see if you have any other websites listed for your homepage other than www.comcast.net?

2) Clear your temporary Internet files & cookies?

3) IF you can see the www.comcast.net homepage, do you see the sign in/e-mail box on the far right side or not?

4) Can you please explain your thoughts on why you think it is the e-mail link itself on the regular homepage?

5) Is www.comcast.net listed here?  Internet options/Security tab/Trusted sites.

6) Do you have any Add-Ons or toolbars installed?

7) Which version of Smartzone are you using? Regular or Lite? 

While you have a work-around using MyComcast, I too, would like to get to the bottom of why you are having a problem with the regular Comcast.net homepage.

thanks for your time...

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

Clearing the cash did it...........

Thank you

Email Expert
CCCarole

Great!  :smileygrin: Added bonus, now you can use either the regular homepage,or the MyComcast version, which ever you prefer.  I think the reason clearing the cache worked is because of the Smartzone cookies stored.  Once you cleared cache- viola! ( I probably should have told you to try that first,huh?

Do continue to clear cache on a regular basis. Have a good day.

Carole

Contributor

Funny thing is I cleared it the other day and it didn't make any difference. Must have clicked on the button with a different finger this time. :smileywink:
Security Expert
CWH803

PLEASE HELP, B/C I'M HAVING PROBLEMS W/MY PC

Regular Visitor

ALL you guys are so WONDERFUL & I can't not thank you enough. 

I'm working on my daughter's laptop now but my desktop & my notebook is still SICK!!!

I'll will communicate with you guys N a few minutes.

Thanks, Valencia

New Visitor
dmonroe6319

After comcast home page downloads, it gives a "error on page" at the lower left corner, just above start button. How can I fix this . 

Service Expert
Bartleby

dmonroe6319 wrote:

After comcast home page downloads, it gives a "error on page" at the lower left corner, just above start button. How can I fix this . 

Page errors like that are not uncommon, and not something you can attempt to fix.  Could be a coding error made by Comcast's portal team, or something else.  Not generally something you need to be concerned about.

Frequent Visitor

how do i make comcast additional home page?

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

sandyconn wrote:

how do i make comcast additional home page?

Which browser do you use please? If Internet Explorer:  Tools>Internet Options> Homepage (at the top)

If Firefox;  Tools>Options> General tab

You could also make a shortcut on your desktop.