Contributor
Accepted Solution

Comcast Home Page

Is there a way to make my Comcast Home Page show local news.  It shows local weather ok, and I've re entered my zip, and city multiple times. It always shows loading, but never loads.  It used to do this only once in a while, usually said invalid zip code, now it doesn't work at all.

Service Expert
Again

Re: Comcast Home Page

thomascassel wrote:

Is there a way to make my Comcast Home Page show local news.  It shows local weather ok, and I've re entered my zip, and city multiple times. It always shows loading, but never loads.  It used to do this only once in a while, usually said invalid zip code, now it doesn't work at all.

If I scroll WAY down on the homepage, I see local news for my zip code.  Outside of that, however, I don't see any way of localizing the homepage, and not even on the MyComcast page.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Contributor

Thats where I'm talking about, always just shows loading.  Usually only two or three subjects there when it used to work.

Service Expert
Again

Have you cleared your cache recently?

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Contributor

Every time I leave the page, clear all temps and and cookies.

Bronze Star Contributor
Ignotus

[ Edited ]

I use iGoogle for news and such. It's a customizable "portal" or "homepage". It has options for local news feeds. I do not know anything about Comcast's offering. Here's an example of what an iGoogle page looks like. I shrunk it a bit which made it largely unreadable. I'll post it as a link instead of inlining it since it's still a large picture.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8378/igoogle.png

Email Expert
CCCarole

thomascassel wrote:

Thomas,

On the left side of the Comcast homepage there is a column list... If you scroll down & click on Local you may get another window, which asks for your zipcode.  Enter your zipcode and click on Go.  You should now be redirected to your local news. Here is the link to what I see for my local news. LINK

Also at the top of this window there is a field to change your zipcode.  I just checked with both Firefox and Internet Explorer and both work for me.

Please post back your results.  CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

Carole, thanks.  I never saw that before.  Of course, I use iGoogle as my home page...

Contributor

That part works fine, what I am refering to is from the top of the page scrolling down there are various topic headers with stories/pix/videos.  Todays Highlights is first.  Next is Top Videos.  Next is Watch TV Online.  Next is News-Stocks.  Next is Sports-Finance.  Next is Entertainment.  Next is Local News which stays blank with the message LOADING......  Next is Market Place.  Next is Games.  It is the empty spot  where a local news headline or two used to appear I am asking about.  What I see is about four inches of empty space with the header Local News at the top and the word loading in the middle.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Thomas,

I understand what you mean.  See my printscreen below.  You will see that I do have that 'module' as well.

At the top of that module there is also an optiion to edit it.  When I click on 'edit' it requests my zipcode.

I understand that this particular module is not loading for you at all. 

I don't have a clue why it is not loading for you.  Is www.comcast.net your regular homepage?  Which browser do you use?  It sure sounds like 'something' is blocking it...please post back the following & I will see if an Adminstrator can research this further for you.

Browser & Version

Any toolbars installed?  Which ones?

Which Anti virus & firewall do you use?

Which operating system?

Have you ever set up MyComcast.net?  ( the customized homepage?)

566i4BAAF3896AFA9E49

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

Is www.comcast.net your regular homepage?  Yes

Which browser do you use?  It sure sounds like 'something' is blocking it...please post back the following & I will see if an Adminstrator can research this further for you.    IE 7.0

Any toolbars installed?  Which ones?       Tried Google/Comcast/Norton No change. 

Which Anti virus & firewall do you use?       NORTON From Comcast

Which operating system?  XP Home Edition

Have you ever set up MyComcast.net?   YES 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Thomas,

I have notified an Adminstrator to review this thread.  I am out of ideas- other than-

IF you still have toolbars installed, try disabling each one and see if that has any effect. 

Only other thing I can think of to check is to start IE without Add Ons and see what that does.  Click on Tools> Manage Add-Ons>Disable Add-Ons.

(I use IE 8 so a simply right click allows me to start IE without add-ons)

CC

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thomas, could you PM me your zip code, if it doesn't work for me, then we know it's not anything on your system causing it.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Email Expert
CCCarole

Thomas,

Are you up to date on Microsoft Updates and Service packs?  2)  Why not update to IE 8? 3) Have you tried the Firefox browser & does it behave the same way?

CC

New Visitor
Cc111111

this network is alsome

Contributor
slimdale

why cant a site come up when I push search. it tells me it cant find site. is there a problem.? i never had this problem before tonight.

Email Expert
CCCarole

There is a problem with the Comcast (Google) search tonight.  Try using another search engine. (Google or Bing) It is not working for me either.

CC

Contributor
slimdale

are they aware of it

Email Expert
CCCarole

I notified the Administrator.  I tried Bing and google, both work.  I would use one of those until it is fixed.

Visitor

My Comcast.net home page shows the correct local weather, but the local news is from the opposite side of Atlanta.  I have emailed Comcast, but they choose not to reply.  I have tried some of the suggestions I have seen on various forums, but NO LUCK.  Comcast should let me remove that item from my homepage if they cannot provide correct information

Connection Expert
JamesR

Might want to try a couple of other Zips from your side of town.
Visitor

I have tried 2 different ones.  30214, 30269 besides 30215 where I live. Same results 

Connection Expert
JamesR

yyour issue has been escalated to a moderator.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Thank You
-Keisha-