Bronze Star Contributor

Do I really need to update Microsoft Net Framework Assistant?

Have Firefox version 3.63,was checking for updates to my add-ons and it wanted to update this from version 1.1 to version 1.2.1--  I don't even remember installing this add-on in the first place. Is it really necessary to have it let alone update it?

Thanx

bgreen

Regular Problem Solver
DoubleG

Re: Do I really need to update Microsoft Net Framework Assistant?

No you don't need it. It was installed when you did an update awhile back by MS updates. You can disable it and then uninstall it. There is a thread out here on this subject. It does not affect your browser when you remove it. Maybe some one else can come up with the link to the thread on this.

Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks for the info DoubleG,hopefully someone will post a link to that thread.

bgreen

Email Expert
CCCarole

This might be the thread that John mentions in his post. 

http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Microsoft-out-of-cycle-updates-today/m-p/681396...

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Problem Solver
DoubleG

I don't believe post is related to bgreens post. I believe someone did post about this problem and someone replied with a fix for this.

Here is a link to look at bgreen...CLICK

Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks for the links. According to the Annoyances.org link the uninstall button is greyed out but that is not the case for mine,maybe this is something that Firefox took care of with one of their updates.

I didn't uninstall the add-on but I did disable it for now.If no bad consequences then I will uninstall it later.

bgreen

Regular Problem Solver
DoubleG

[ Edited ]

Bgreen if you are running windows 7 I believe after you have disabled it close your browser, you can then right click your FF browser icon and click run as administrator to open it again and that will expose the uninstall button for that add-on so you can uninstall it...

Bronze Star Contributor

Actually I am running XP and the uninstall button is visible,I'll get rid of it in a couple days.

bgreen

Bronze Star Contributor

Mixed results when I uninstalled it--it is still there in the add-on window but it is reading version 0.0.0--also now the uninstall button is greyed out.  The enable and disable button still work but I don't know if it is actually doing anything.

I do see Microsoft Net Framework  1.1.1 in Add/Remove programs of Control Panel but it doesn't mention "Assistant" and also has subsequent updates to version 3.5 listed below it.

bgreen

Regular Problem Solver
DoubleG

Not sure why your version is still listed in your plugins for FF. Mine appeared while I am running windows 7 and when I disabled it and uninstalled it the plugin was removed from the list. I do know that the version 1 you see in your add/remove program is not the plugin assistant for FF.  I will check wife's computer tomorrow and see what her's shows as she is running XP.

Bronze Star Contributor

I was able to completely uninstall the add-on on my netbook which is also  XP,the only difference is I have an older version of FF-3.59 as opposed to the newer version of 3.63 on my desktop.

bgreen

Regular Problem Solver
DoubleG

Wife's computer runs XP and it shows plugin still in list but disabled.

Email Expert
CCCarole