Contributor

How do you remove the Comcast toolbar from IE

[ Edited ]

On Dec. 13 a technician visited my house to install equipment.  He asked for my laptop to use to help him with the installation process. I told him NOT to install software on my laptop.  This technician lied to me.   He installed a toolbar on my browser and changed the homepage link

I’ve been calling and emailing Comcast ever since trying to get this toolbar removed. 

All they (Comcast) do is tell me to log onto some chat window. 

Okay, I’m 41, I have a very, very busy career earning well into six figures and simply do not have the time to deal with this kind of longwinded nonsense, especially if the staff is ill-equipped to help me directly rather than forward a bunch of links that may, or may not, be related to what I’m asking for. 

Let me make this very clear. 

I pay over $200/month for my service and have been doing so since May of 2008 and therefore I expect my questions to be dealt with directly.  The message I get from Comcast is clear, my $200/month isn’t worth that much to them.  It is obvious $200/month out of my pocket means a lot more to me and therefore I must consider cancelling all service with Comcast if they cannot extend the curiosity of explaining EXACTLY how to remove the toolbar that is installed on my browser (IE).

I am asking how to remove the toolbar in my browser and see no reason why there shouldn’t be a simple and straight forward answer to this (sent to me via email).  

I have been saying for months that I do not have time for silly chat windows and do not have time to sit on the phone for an hour. 

Your technician installed software on my computer without my permission.  I specifically told him that he could use my computer if and only if he would not install software on my machine. 

This guy lied to me and did exactly what I told him not to do.  

Please TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THE TOOLBAR ON MY BROWSER. 

Signed, 

Soon to be an X-Comcast costumer

Message Edited by silver_mica on 02-22-2009 12:23 PM
Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Re: How do you remove the Comcast toolbar from IE

[ Edited ]

I don't use this toolbar but you should be able to go to the control panel, select add/remove programs, scroll down to comcast toolbar, select remove.

These are the directions comcast has on the help page for uninstalling the toolbar:

• Select 'Uninstall' (seond from the bottom, above 'Help') from the Comcast button pulldown menu on your toolbar
  • Click 'yes' when you are presented with a confirmation window. Clicking 'yes' will begin the uninstall process.
  • At the end of the uninstall process a new browser will open with a confirmation message.
  • Close any browser that is still showing the toolbar. This will complete the uninstall process.

Reset your homepage in IE with tools, internet options, general, use current, after you have navigated to the site you want for your homepage.

We are just other comcast customers here on the forum trying to help with problems. We can't help with complaints about comcast's service.

Message Edited by lead5alpha on 02-22-2009 12:23 PM
Message Edited by lead5alpha on 02-22-2009 12:24 PM
Message Edited by lead5alpha on 02-22-2009 12:25 PM
Contributor

There is no program called "comcast toolbar" under Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

Here we go again.   Send thanks to that technician who lied to me with regards to installing programs/toolbars on my browser.

Advice to those reading,  if you have a technician who is installing anything at your house DO NOT let them use your computer for any reason.   It simply isn't worth the endless hassle you'll get in return.

Now, I'm stuck with a Comcast toolbar that NO ONE can remove.

Thank you very much Comcast.

This is not worth $200/month for me.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Uninstall it from the toolbar:

These are the directions comcast has on the help page for uninstalling the toolbar:

• Select 'Uninstall' (second from the bottom, above 'Help') from the Comcast button pulldown menu on your toolbar
  • Click 'yes' when you are presented with a confirmation window. Clicking 'yes' will begin the uninstall process.
  • At the end of the uninstall process a new browser will open with a confirmation message.
  • Close any browser that is still showing the toolbar. This will complete the uninstall process.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am unable to locate the "uninstall" button that you describe.  The only thing above help is the address (the URL).    

I tried my best to find this (in the IE browser).  I clicked the little triangle next to the unwanted (and un-authorized) Comcast toolbar, but the only options there are 1) Comcast Search 2) Live Search 3) Find on this page... 4) Find more providers.... 5) Change search defaults 

To those reading this take note what a hassle this has been for me.  I've been trying to get rid of this since Dec. and have sent a huge number of emails to Comcast only to receive superfluous emails directing me to web chats, FAQ lists and so on.    I have no time for this; moreover, it was a Comcast technician who installed all this garbage on my browser despite my explicit instructions that he not change, reconfigure, or install software on my computer. 

This is not worth $200/month. 

Do not let Comcast technicians touch any computer of yours.  It is not worth the trouble.

Message Edited by silver_mica on 02-22-2009 12:27 PM
Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

[ Edited ]

Go to view and check next to "Comcast toolbar" so it is active then click the down arrow next to the word comcast on the toolbar.

Message Edited by lead5alpha on 02-22-2009 02:32 PM
Connection Expert
EG

While you are at it. Look in add/remove for anything Comcast such as the *Install Wizard* and the  *Desktop Doctor* and remove those as well. You don't need any of it.
Contributor

I do not have a button that says "comcast toolbar" when following the following commands: View --> toolbars

I've screen captured what I seen when using the View --> toolbars command sequence

Yet, the comcast toolbar exists and works in my browser.   I have also performed a screen capture of this tool bar with its menu options in the link below.

Service Expert
Again

Go back to View/Toobars and click on Unlock the Toolbar.

On this page, is this the toolbar that you're seeing?

We understand that you're upset, and as customers ourselves, we're trying to help you.  There is no need to keep repeating the lines about how bad the tech was.  Let's just focus on the problem of getting rid of the annoyance.  :smileywink:

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

[ Edited ]

You do not have the comcast toolbar installed! You have been describing the wrong issue.

These screens show your default search engine that has been set in internet explorer. This is easy to change.

Go to tools, internet options, and select change search options. Select google or yahoo (might be some others listed) instead of comcast.  Or just click on the change "search defaults" link in your picture.

Message Edited by lead5alpha on 02-22-2009 04:22 PM
Contributor

[ Edited ]

"While you are at it. Look in add/remove for anything Comcast such as the *Install Wizard* and the  *Desktop Doctor* and remove those as well. You don't need any of it. "

Oh, so now there's more surprises, more junk on my computer put there by your wonderful Comcast technician who disobeyed my direct order not to reconfigure, install, or add software to my computer.

How wonderful for me.

So, in addition to paying $200/month I now have to become a computer detective and remove all vestigial Comcast software that I had specifically asked not to be installed.

What other software did you put on my computer? huh?

Those reading this do take note what a mess this has become, all because I let a Comcast technician use my computer.

Never let a Comcast technician touch your computer.

This is NOT worth $200/month.

Message Edited by silver_mica on 02-22-2009 03:14 PM
Service Expert
Again

silver_mica, if you want us to help you remove this, that's fine, but if your main purpose here is to complain, it will be reported as abuse.  This is a HELP forum, not a complaint forum.  We do understand, and we don't agree with what the tech did, but there isn't anything WE can do about the tech's action at the moment; we can only help you try to undo what he did.  We CAN notify someone to look in to the problem with the tech, but that's all we can do about him.

Now, if you'd like us to help you, that's great, but otherwise, you'll end up having most of us ignore the problem by continuing to complain about what the tech did and Comcast.

--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."

Connection Expert
EG

silver_mica wrote:

"While you are at it. Look in add/remove for anything Comcast such as the *Install Wizard* and the  *Desktop Doctor* and remove those as well. You don't need any of it. "

Oh, so now there's more surprises, more junk on my computer put there by your wonderful Comcast technician who disobeyed my direct order not to reconfigure, install, or add software to my computer.

How wonderful for me.

So, in addition to paying $200/month I now have to become a computer detective and remove all vestigial Comcast software that I had specifically asked not to be installed.

What other software did you put on my computer? huh?

Those reading this do take note what a mess this has become, all because I let a Comcast technician use my computer.

Never let a Comcast technician touch your computer.

This is NOT worth $200/month.

Message Edited by silver_mica on 02-22-2009 03:14 PM

Dude. I'm not saying that it is there, and I'm not a CC employee. You might want to drop the Drama Queen junk and try the suggestions..

Contributor

"You do not have the comcast toolbar installed!  You have been describing the wrong issue.

These screens show your default search engine that has been set in internet explorer.  This is easy to change.

Go to tools, internet options, and select change search options.  Select google or yahoo (might be some others listed) instead of comcast."

Yes, as described in my first post the unruly technician changed my default URL from Google to Comcast in addition to adding the toolbar.  I was able to change my home page back to Google and I did this on the same day he had reconfigured my computer (Dec. 13).  

Clearly, I have a toolbar added by the technician, clearly the name Comcast is seen in this toolbar and clearly when I type a search parameter I am immediately lead to Comcast.net and therefore it is abundantly  clear that this IS INDEED a Comcast toolbar.   I thought this to be self evident with this screen capture.

My default URL is not Comcast, it is Google and has been Google for months.  This is my default URL. 

For those reading this: see what happens.   It isn't worth it.

This is not worth $200/month.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

[ Edited ]

That screen capture shows your homepage default url. It is different from your search engine preference. The thing you are calling a toolbar is your search preference. You just need to change your search engine default as described before:

Go to tools, internet options, and select change search options. Select google or yahoo (might be some others listed) instead of comcast.  Or just click on the change "search defaults" link in your picture.

You can also just highlight the words "comcast default" on this pane and select remove.

Message Edited by lead5alpha on 02-22-2009 04:47 PM
Service Expert
Again

Is this the toolbar you're seeing?

--- Lao Tzu ---

Contributor

"

silver_mica, if you want us to help you remove this, that's fine, but if your main purpose here is to complain, it will be reported as abuse.  This is a HELP forum, not a complaint forum.  We do understand, and we don't agree with what the tech did, but there isn't anything WE can do about the tech's action at the moment; we can only help you try to undo what he did.  We CAN notify someone to look in to the problem with the tech, but that's all we can do about him.

Now, if you'd like us to help you, that's great, but otherwise, you'll end up having most of us ignore the problem by continuing to complain about what the tech did and Comcast. "

I definitely wish to prevent hassles such as this to occur with other people therefore I've iterated what a mistake it was to let the Comcast technician use my computer and illustrated that for this type of money Comcast seems unable to fix an issue with my personal computer.  I don't see why Comcast doesn't provide their technicians with the tools that they need to get a job done and I don't see why Comcast doesn't send the technician back here to resolve this.   Why should I have to resort to endless emails and forum posts to undo the mess this technician imposed upon me.

I suppose it is possible for Comcast to sensor content that is on here by considering my complaint as abuse.  If that is the case then it makes for yet another reason to discontinue all business relations with Comcast, but I do hope censorship will not obscure the problem at hand.  I have an unwanted toolbar installed on my machine by Comcast that no one seems to know how to get rid of.  Nice.

Service Expert
Again

The abuse comes in when post after post you post the same thing.  Posting it once was enough, even for someone coming along later and reading it.  We will make sure the proper people see it and they will look in to it.

The most important thing, however, is helping you take care of the problem, which we'll do if you let us and give us the information we ask.  Let's focus on that.

--- Lao Tzu ---

Contributor

Okay, I see that now.   But, I'm not a computer IT guy nor should I have to be.  The Comcast technician should be here fixing this, NOT ME and I seriously resent having to do THIS much work to get my computer back again.  Do keep in mind that I've had this problem since December and I have been emailing Comcast ever since about THIS very issue.  I should have just cancelled my account entirely.  I have a right to complain and if Comcast decides to consider my complaint in this post abuse then that really says it all now doesn't it?  Well, I wouldn't be here TODAY, complaining, if Comcast fixed this months ago.  I'm very certain I'm speaking with Comcast representatives in one form or another even if you happen to be customers.   I'm just plain mad so let me yell a little on here before I take it to the telephone and really start screaming.   If I don't get this cleared up I'm taking all this to non-censored blogs.

Moving forward.

I would like to delete all of the search engines (since they are all Comcast) and get rid of the toolbar added by Comcast.   Here's a screen capture of what I see for my default search engines.  I can delete the Live search, but not the default.

What now?

Service Expert
Again

Actually, they're not all Comcast.  Live Search is Microsoft and comes wtih Internet Explorer.

In your example, you have Comcast highlighted.  Will it not remove with the Remove button?

You should be able to add Google back by clicking on the Find more providers link to the left of the OK button in your screen shot.

While we're at it, is your Internet Explorer [IE] now saying Comcast - Internet Explorer in the very upper left corner ?

--- Lao Tzu ---

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

You have to set another provider as default then you should be able to highlight comcast and remove it.  Live search is not comcast it is from microsoft.  "Go to find more providers" and pick one you want to use for your searches.  Google is the best IMO. Choose one and install it and set it as your default and then remove the ones you don't want.  It does not hurt anything to have other searches available but not set as the default.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3301809534_56209035a5_o.jpg

I have nothing to do with comcast.  Just trying to help.

Contributor

"Actually, they're not all Comcast.  Live Search is Microsoft and comes wtih Internet Explorer.

In your example, you have Comcast highlighted.  Will it not remove with the Remove button?

You should be able to add Google back by clicking on the Find more providers link to the left of the OK button in your screen shot.

While we're at it, is your Internet Explorer [IE] now saying Comcast - Internet Explorer in the very upper left corner ?"

I fooled around with it a bit and got rid of the Comcast default replacing it with Google. It used to say something like Comcast Search, but not it just says Google.  Now, if I can just remove that toolbar (the search engine toolbar) then I think this will be solved.

Service Expert
Again

[ Edited ]
Close your browser and restart it and tell us if it's gone.  It should now say Google instead of Comcast.
Message Edited by Again on 02-22-2009 06:36 PM
--- Lao Tzu ---

Contributor

"Close your browser and restart it and tell us if it's gone.  It should now say Google instead of Comcast."

It says "Google" now, but I would like that toolbar to be removed if possible.

Service Expert
Again

silver_mica wrote:

"Close your browser and restart it and tell us if it's gone.  It should now say Google instead of Comcast."

The only way I know how to do that is by editing the registry, something you probably don't want to do if you have never done that before and aren't sure what you're doing.

--- Lao Tzu ---

Contributor

silver_mica wrote:

The only way I know how to do that is by editing the registry, something you probably don't want to do if you have never done that before and aren't sure what you're doing.

So, you can never fully remove changes made by Comcast software.   I do have an image of this computer somewhere so I can always reinstall the entire operating system. 

Service Expert
Again

silver_mica wrote:

silver_mica wrote:

So, you can never fully remove changes made by Comcast software.   I do have an image of this computer somewhere so I can always reinstall the entire operating system. 

At the moment, there's no real evidence that you have any Comcast software installed.  That Comcast search isn't software that anyone installed; it's just a URL that points to a search engine.  Changing it to Google didn't install any Google software  - again, it just points to the Google search engine.  If you WANT to muck with the registry, then I can give you the URL to the instructions for doing so, but it's up to you.

When you go to Control Panel/Add Remove programs, do you see Desktop Doctor and/or Install Wizard installed, as EG asked in post #7?  If you see those, then yes, he probably installed some software, but if not, then he probably didn't install any Comcast software.

And, once again, I ask, in the very upper left of your Internet Browser, does it say Internet Explorer, or Comcast - Windows Internet Explorer, or something that says Comcast?  Mine says Yahoo - Windows Internet Explorer, but that's because of the fact my laptop was a demo model and the place I got it from was using AT&T Yahoo and I'm lazy and haven't done anything about it, mostly because I rarely use IE.

--- Lao Tzu ---

Connection Expert
EG

Again wrote:

When you go to Control Panel/Add Remove programs, do you see Desktop Doctor and/or Install Wizard installed, as EG asked in post #7?  If you see those, then yes, he probably installed some software, but if not, then he probably didn't install any Comcast software.

Good question Again. I was just about to bring this up again as this poster never acknowledged it either way...

Contributor

"At the moment, there's no real evidence that you have any Comcast software installed.  That Comcast search isn't software that anyone installed; it's just a URL that points to a search engine.  Changing it to Google didn't install any Google software  - again, it just points to the Google search engine.  If you WANT to muck with the registry, then I can give you the URL to the instructions for doing so, but it's up to you."

Well, that is just not true.  On December 13th the technician used my computer and installed software, it was very obvious and I contacted Comcast immediately about it.  At that time, in December, I did remove something from the Add/Remove programs area in my computer as per instruction by an official Comcast representative (if I dig around some I'm sure I'll find the email with those instructions).  When the software was installed so was this additional search engine toolbar and for months it was set to search the Comcast.net site.  Although I construed this to be a vestigial component of the installed toolbar (and it could be argued as such despite that it is clear this isn't software) I was incorrect in describing this as the "Comcast Toolbar."

"When you go to Control Panel/Add Remove programs, do you see Desktop Doctor and/or Install Wizard installed, as EG asked in post #7?  If you see those, then yes, he probably installed some software, but if not, then he probably didn't install any Comcast software."

I removed something in December.  Most likely, it was the Comcast Toolbar.

"And, once again, I ask, in the very upper left of your Internet Browser, does it say Internet Explorer, or Comcast - Windows Internet Explorer, or something that says Comcast?  Mine says Yahoo - Windows Internet Explorer, but that's because of the fact my laptop was a demo model and the place I got it from was using AT&T Yahoo and I'm lazy and haven't done anything about it, mostly because I rarely use IE. "

At the very top?  At the moment it says, "Reply to message - Windows Internet Explorer"   The prefix is dependent upon the site currently visited. I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

The search window bar is a standard component of IE7.  It is not hidden on any installation of IE that I have seen.  Anyway here is an online application you can download and use to automatically make the registry change to hide it.  I have not used this and can't vouch for it, you would be using it at your own risk.  http://www.intelliadmin.com/IESearchBarRemove.exe
Contributor

"The search window bar is a standard component of IE7.  It is not hidden on any installation of IE that I have seen.  Anyway here is an online application you can download and use to automatically make the registry change to hide it.  I have not used this and can't vouch for it, you would be using it at your own risk.  http://www.intelliadmin.com/IESearchBarRemove.exe "

If the search window is standard then I probably only noticed that it was updated to say Comcast rather than whatever the prior default setting was (Live Search?).  

Thanks for the link, but I think this is a good place to stop.  I'll consider this problem solved.  Thanks again for your help.

Service Expert
Again

This is what I'm talking about here.  See where it says "Yahoo! - Windows Internet Explorer" ?  Does yours say "Comcast - Windows Internet Explorer" ?  [sorry about the blown margins, but I want the whole thing to be visible/readable]

Okay, so in December you removed software, but again, the Comcast search that remained behind is NOT software, it's just a URL that points back to Comcast search, and it's not a toolbar, just a pointer to a search engine just like Google search is.  As lead5alpha mentioned, it's a standard component of Internet Explorer.

--- Lao Tzu ---

Service Expert
Again

Believe it or not, silver_mica, we're glad that we could help you.  If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to come back and ask.  We'll make sure, too, that the right people see your complaint, but it sounds as though you quickly followed up on it at the time in December and were able to remove whatever software was installed.  We agree that if you expressly admonished the tech to NOT install any software on your computer that he should have listened and not done so.  For the  most part, you don't need any extra software to connect to the internet after Comcast provisions your modem.
--- Lao Tzu ---

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
Wonder if it was typical third party browser branding.
Message Edited by EG on 02-22-2009 08:53 PM
Contributor

"This is what I'm talking about here.  See where it says "Yahoo! - Windows Internet Explorer" ?  Does yours say "Comcast - Windows Internet Explorer" ?  [sorry about the blown margins, but I want the whole thing to be visible/readable]"

Mine says <site name> - Windows Internet Explorer

where "<site name>" is dependent upon the currently visited URL

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

EG wrote:

That was my first thought when I read the thread. Based on what silver_mica said,

an installer set up some equipment. And he probably used an install disc.

Those of us who have been around for a while know that

1) it isn't necessary to use the set-up disc  and

2) the disc installs the branded IE, and I think it installs Desktop Doctor

also. Not sure about the toolbar, maybe it does.

silver_mica uninstalled something Comcast so that must have gotten

rid of all things Comcast that came from the disc.

And since there was nothing Comcast listed in Add/Remove programs,

there was NO Comcast

"junk" on the computer at the time the first post was made.

Just a default search engine that said Comcast, and a mistaken belief that it

was a toolbar. 

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 02-22-2009 10:56 PM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor

EG wrote:

That was my first thought when I read the thread. Based on what silver_mica said,

an installer set up some equipment. And he probably used an install disc.

Those of us who have been around for a while know that

1) it isn't necessary to use the set-up disc  and

2) the disc installs the branded IE, and I think it installs Desktop Doctor

also. Not sure about the toolbar, maybe it does.

silver_mica uninstalled something Comcast so that must have gotten

rid of all things Comcast that came from the disc.

And since there was nothing Comcast listed in Add/Remove programs,

there was NO Comcast

"junk" on the computer at the time the first post was made.

Just a default search engine that said Comcast, and a mistaken belief that it

was a toolbar. 

The Comcast Software (or junk) originally placed on my machine inserted the link to Comcast.net as the default search engine as well as setting my browser's home page to Comcast.net. 

I'm not sure what is meant by, "typical third part browser branding," but IE existed on my machine well before the technician visited.

There is one thing I never said.  The tech only came to change my modem to install a phone.  All else was working prior to his visit (internet and TV).  

Now, that reminds me of yet another thing.   I have two digital receivers for two TVs.  At that time (On Dec. 13) he deactivated one of the boxes in some way so that when you attempted to watch TV you couldn't.  I now remember waiting all day for the channels to come back because there was a blue screen telling me to wait and that it may take a while.   I waited about five hours before calling Comcast and eventually it was realized that the box was deactivated by mistake.  

Well, the TV receiver was a bit unrelated. I just wanted to mention what the tech was at my house to upgrade my package to include a phone - he brought a modem that allowed a telephone to be hooked up and prior to this I had already been using the internet as well as watching TV for months (since May).

Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

Yes it does sound like the tech who did the instal set up your home page as comcast.net.  However on the comcast.net site it has a search bar which is linked by google.  This does not mean that he downloaded or installed any software onto your machine at all.   The only thing he did was change your home page over to the .net site.   He probably should have asked you if that was ok, but that's the only thing that was changed on your computer from the sounds of it.
Recognized Contributor
titusmckieus

[ Edited ]

Just for general Information not saying you did this

One thing to mention here. Is that it's very important to read thoroughly whenever installing legitimate software.

A lot of times there will be included somewhere on the page asking if you would like to download a toolbar.

The thing is, that sometimes these boxes are already checked marked  yes by default .  And if you dont  pay attention you will be also downloading a tool bar that you didn't want. Apple for the Ipod and QuickTime updates love to do this.

Message Edited by titusmckieus on 02-28-2009 10:00 AM
New Visitor
PattyRaye

I got rid of Comcast for similar reasons, AND I uninstalled the toolbar, but it persists.... Scary.

New Visitor
PattyRaye

Thank you, will try.

Connection Expert
EG

Three year old thread closed.