New Visitor

Internet Explorer won't load

I was trying to hook up a different computer than the one that my internet was installed on, and I did the powercycle that was mentioned in a Forum, and I got my AOL Instant Messenger to work, but when I open Internet Explorer the page won't load.  I configured my computer and did another powercycle and it still doesn't work, any suggestions...
Most Valued Poster
Naddie1

Re: Internet Explorer won't load

kep7 wrote:
I was trying to hook up a different computer than the one that my internet was installed on, and I did the powercycle that was mentioned in a Forum, and I got my AOL Instant Messenger to work, but when I open Internet Explorer the page won't load.  I configured my computer and did another powercycle and it still doesn't work, any suggestions...

Check out your settings for connection under tools, IE options. Make sure that it si set for Cable/DSL
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Bronze Star Contributor
sjrv3

This thread is a bit old but I have another possible solution for anyone that cannot get IE to work but other browser do.  This would be for people with a new Comcast install mostly.  Though I didnt realize I had this issue on my second computer until about 3 months after it would have originally been put there.  It is the installers fault.  What happens is if they start by putting in that disc that comes with the cable modem but never finish on that computer you have a stuck IE until you fix it yourself.  What happens is that IE has been set up under the proxy server to the Comcast setup page, something like 10.25.8.233 which will not resolve.  I didnt realize this since when the tech guy came to my place when I moved I just had him connect to the second computer since I didnt have my desk and computer set up where I was going to put them yet.  I do not use IE but Firefox or Opera and they worked fine right away, though he had insisted on putting that disc which I know they dont need to do but whatever I dont use that comptuer much to go online anyway and it was working fine.  Anyway the other day I went to do a manual windows update and it would not connect (since it forces you to go through IE and the auto updates do still work) I found that nothing would work in IE, I noticed it was trying to connect to a ip address that I could see was not MS or to any other page I tried to go to but (I think) 10.25.8.233. 

I did a google of that ip and did come up with a post in a security forum for some virus/malware protection site and they had posted almost exactly what happened to me.  So I went into "Tools" picked "Internet Options" then the tab on top "Connections" went to the bottom button "LAN Settings" and sure enough the "Proxy server" was pointing to a Comcast address.  I unchecked it and IE works again for any page, or in my case all that I cared for it to work for, the windows update page.
Most Valued Poster
-SIG-

I did a google search for the IP that you listed just to see what happens and I got the result: "Sorry, No information is available for the URL 10.25.8.233".

-SIG-