Contributor
amy68

Internet explorer keeps crashing

Hi, we keep getting messages that internet explorer has cause the "web site " to stop working & will shut & and reopen. It first started on facebook the past few days it happens all the time. We disabled our add on & toolbars reinstalled internet explorer & no virus's. My husband & are are having issues on both laptops, we have different operating systems & the only thing we have in common in Comcast/Xfinity.....Tech has been out & did their ping test no issues and ideas???Please...Thank you

New Visitor
tmelton697

Re: Internet explorer keeps crashing

There's something going on with the Xfinity toolbar. I disabled it and there's no problem. I also did the same with my laptop.

Contributor
amy68

Thanks for the info, I disabled my xfinity toolbar & all my tool, bars several weeks ago, that didn't help.  I believe it"s a comcast issue but they can't find anything.  My neighbor is having the exact same issues as us.

Visitor

April 14, 2012

We are on the Comcast “Triple Play” program. My desktop with Windows 7, my husband’s laptop with Windows 7, an HP printer all-in-one, and a WD external hard drive are all working on the same wireless network via the router.

A few days ago I noticed that the cursor keep changing to the “waiting circle” at 12 second intervals even while I’m in a program, such as MSWord or FreeCell. Then it circles for 5 seconds and changes back to the arrow. The intervals are very regular.

I’ve checked to see whether any programs were running that I didn’t know about, but I couldn’t find anything. I suspected that the Norton Antivirus is automatically scanning, but also that it could be something else. I try hard to keep only the program I’m working on open and close any others. I’ve manually also run the Norton Insight scan to find the problem.

I restarted the computer several times to see whether that would stop the annoying circling curser, but it continued to circle for 5 seconds every 12 seconds.

I checked my Comcast home page (I’m using the Internet Explorer) and found that I could install the Constant Guard. I thought perhaps that that would stop the continuous circling and make my computer safer.

After I properly downloaded and installed the Constant Guard program, the circling continued as before, but now a NEW recurring problem has come up. Now, whenever I click on the IE button, my Comcast homepage comes up as before, but when I try to type a request in the search bar or try to sign into my Comcast e-mail, a message pops up at the bottom that the browser has stopped working. Sometimes, if I wait for 15 seconds or so, this problem does not happen, but soemtimes even if I wait, it happens anyway.

When I click the “Restore Webpage” button the problem persists, I might have to click it two or three times, and then I get another small dialog box telling me that Comcast.net has stopped working. Sometimes, if I wait, the webpage settled down and I can get into my e-mail, but this is unreliable. Sometimes, I have to go through this rigamarole three or four times before I can actually get the Internet Explorer to work properly.

At this point I need to say that my Google Mail, my Facebook, and my Skype icons function perfectly. As soon as I click on any one of those buttons, the webpage comes right up. The problem occurs only with my Comcast.net homepage.

The cursor continues to circle at the intervals I’ve mentioned above.

Contributor
amy68

That stinks, I'm wondering if there is a compatiability problem between Xfinity & internet explorer. Our neighbor has never had problems before Thursday, we've been having problems for months. I really wish someone had a clue as to what is going on....

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Helicar wrote:

April 14, 2012

We are on the Comcast “Triple Play” program. My desktop with Windows 7, my husband’s laptop with Windows 7, an HP printer all-in-one, and a WD external hard drive are all working on the same wireless network via the router.

A few days ago I noticed that the cursor keep changing to the “waiting circle” at 12 second intervals even while I’m in a program, such as MSWord or FreeCell. Then it circles for 5 seconds and changes back to the arrow. The intervals are very regular.

I’ve checked to see whether any programs were running that I didn’t know about, but I couldn’t find anything. I suspected that the Norton Antivirus is automatically scanning, but also that it could be something else. I try hard to keep only the program I’m working on open and close any others. I’ve manually also run the Norton Insight scan to find the problem.

I restarted the computer several times to see whether that would stop the annoying circling curser, but it continued to circle for 5 seconds every 12 seconds.

I checked my Comcast home page (I’m using the Internet Explorer) and found that I could install the Constant Guard. I thought perhaps that that would stop the continuous circling and make my computer safer.

After I properly downloaded and installed the Constant Guard program, the circling continued as before, but now a NEW recurring problem has come up. Now, whenever I click on the IE button, my Comcast homepage comes up as before, but when I try to type a request in the search bar or try to sign into my Comcast e-mail, a message pops up at the bottom that the browser has stopped working. Sometimes, if I wait for 15 seconds or so, this problem does not happen, but soemtimes even if I wait, it happens anyway.

When I click the “Restore Webpage” button the problem persists, I might have to click it two or three times, and then I get another small dialog box telling me that Comcast.net has stopped working. Sometimes, if I wait, the webpage settled down and I can get into my e-mail, but this is unreliable. Sometimes, I have to go through this rigamarole three or four times before I can actually get the Internet Explorer to work properly.

At this point I need to say that my Google Mail, my Facebook, and my Skype icons function perfectly. As soon as I click on any one of those buttons, the webpage comes right up. The problem occurs only with my Comcast.net homepage.

The cursor continues to circle at the intervals I’ve mentioned above.

Uninstall ConstantGuard, then restart your computer. Note that this will not remove Norton.

If the original problem still exists, then post back here.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Contributor
amy68

Thanks, uninstalled Constant Guard & restarted my laptop  & still having a problem..

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

When you get the 'spinning circle', open the task manager and check which processes are consuming CPU time. Specifically check for ccsvchst.exe (Norton) to see if it is the culprit.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Contributor
amy68

Hopefully that info helps the other person with issues, I'm still crashing any ideas?

Bronze Star Contributor

my wife and I both have Lenovo laptops - I've experienced the same issue as has been previously described and discussed in these threads but she hasn't .

I've noticed issues over the last 2-3 weeks - what typically happens is I have a few different windows open at the same time & then all of a sudden they all freeze and the windows are blank ; I then close IE9 & reclick it .

Both our computers receive automatic updates from Windows and I keep both our computers up to date with Lenovo updates which I manually invoke - I usually accept Adobe's calls for updates but she defers them indefinitely - this could be a clue ? - on a Norton user forum that I go out to someone pointed out possible compatibility issues with Flash Player ?

The other possibily as has already been mentioned is Comcast/Xfinity .

Something in my opinion is conflicting with IE - we've both had IE9 since April of 2011 but have only experienced issues ( me ) recently - in addition to the freeze ups , I've had many messages saying that IE will close , cannot print due to an IE problem , & I get an alert from Norton pointing to heavy memory load from IE9.

And so in summary I think it's one of the many various updates or Comcast/Xfinity  - I've brought this up on the Norton and Lenovo forums and will try to see if there's an Adobe forum as well.

The more we discuss this and share our experiences I think we stand a good chance of solving this .

Contributor
amy68

Thank you for your input. I true believe it's a conflict w/internet explorer & Comcast/Xfinity. My husband's laptop is a few years old & mine was new at Christmas. We first started back in Feb with periodic issues, then it was every time we left facebook, then it was every time we switched pages in facebook, & for the past week it's been all the time.  Comcast keeps saying there's no issue on their end, but my neighbor is having the exact same issue, I guess I'll keep researching.  Good luck

Bronze Star Contributor

at this point I don't agree conclusively that IE9 , or IE in general, is in conflict with Comcast/Xfinity - as I mentioned in my previous post, my wife has absolutely no issues and, except for the Adobe updates which she defers , we have identical computers with all the same Lenovo and Windows updates.

you never summarized your specific issues with examples - it would be helpful to myself and others in this situation if you could do this ; otherwise , your issues may be totally different than everyone else ???

Contributor
amy68

We've been getting internet explorer has caused the website to close & will try to reopen. Started when on FB & we would  try to leave FB. Then it also happened overtime we switch from page to page in facebook. Then  the same "crash" started happening when ever we  switched between websites, (not just FB anymore). We've spoken with Comcast several time, had a tech come out & ran a test on our router, plus a bunch of other things as mentioned in my previous posts.  My neighbor is having the EXACT problem, but Comcast says it's not them. My husband & I are running 2 different Operating Systems & my computer is only 3 months old,my husbands a few years older.  Any information from anyone would be most helpful..Thanks

Bronze Star Contributor

so that's the only issue you have ? no total website freeze with blank screen ? no problem printing with a message saying something about IE ?

do either of you have Win7, IE9, Norton Internet Security , and Adobe ( Reader & Flash ) ? 

Contributor
amy68

The only problem we are having is the internet message, we do not get a blank screen when it freezes, just keep getting the "crash message" & then the page we were on comes back up. No error messages when printing.  We both are using Norton & Constant Guard. I installed Constant Guard since this in know to cause issues & it did not help. We both have adobe reader & player. I have IE 9 & Win 7. He has Vista & I think he has 8 not positive. We are both having the exact same issues.

New Visitor
KT2020

I am having Similar issues starting on April 15. Depending on what website I go too when I click on links provided by the page, the command will stall then I get a text box that tells me IE has stopped working a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Then it will continue to open the command but go into a loop of endless fails until i just close the program. It also never gives me a solution. 

Im sorry If I am not explaining it well enough.  However I did switch to Google Chrome and I haven't had any issues.

Contributor
amy68

I have started using google chrome on & off with no problems as well. It's strange we are all having IE problems & are on Comcast. I 've spoken with friends that are on other providers & they haven't been experiencing problems so far.

New Visitor
KT2020

Amy, I just tried the first step of these solutions and it helped me. I hope it helps you.

Let’s take a look at what could be causing Internet Explorer to be giving you these messages. First step will be to reset Internet Explorer, you can do this by:

·         Close any Internet Explorer windows

·         Click Start

·         Click Control Panel

·         Open Internet Options (you may have to switch from category view to icons to find this)

·         Click the Advanced tab

·         Click Reset…

·         Click Reset

·         Click Close

·         Click OK

·         Open Internet Explorer

If you are still having problems, then next thing to look at would be another program causing a conflict with Internet Explorer. You can test this by doing a clean boot: (if you have Windows Explorer crashes, test these with a  clean boot as well)

·         Click Start

·         Type msconfig into the search field (if using Windows XP you will need to click Run… then type in msconfig)

·         Press Enter on your keyboard

·         Click Continue on the User Account Control (If prompted)

·         Click Selective startup

·         Uncheck Load startup items

·         Click the Services tab

·         Check the Hide all Microsoft services box

·         Click Disable all

·         Click OK

·         Click Restart Now

Once your computer has finished restarting, test to see if you still get the same error in Internet Explorer. If not then you just have to identify which service/startup item was causing the problem.

·         Click Start

·         Type msconfig into the search field (if using Windows XP you will need to click Run… then type in msconfig)

·         Click the Services tab

·         Check the Hide all Microsoft services box

·         Check (Enable) the top half of the service boxes

·         Click OK

Once your computer has restarted, again test to see if the problem is still gone. If so, then the services you enabled are good to stay. Repeat the enabling process for half of the remaining disabled services and continue this process until the problem returns or all services are enabled. If the problem returns then you will need to test the last batch of services you enabled one by one to find which was causing the problem to occur.

If you enable all services and the problem still hasn’t returned:

·         Click Start

·         Click the Startup tab

·         Check (Enable) the top half of the service boxes

·         Click OK

Follow the same process as before, with testing after each restart. If the problem hasn’t returned, go back and enable half of the remaining list of startup items and continue the process until the problem has returned. Then you will need to test the last batch of startup items you enabled one by one to find which causes the problem to occur.

Once you have identified which service/startup item causes the problem in Internet Explorer you will need to either disable/uninstall/update the program to avoid further problems.

Bronze Star Contributor

KT2020, excellent problem solving approach in my opinion !!! reseting IE was also suggested by another forum member & on the Norton site someone suggested disabling add-ons & then enabling them 1by1 to isolate the culprit which is similar to your suggestion with the start-up items .

In my case alot of the evidence does point to IE but is it the lone culprit or an interaction with other programs ?

I started to use the old job networking approach & posted my issue on several forums.

I haven't used msconfig in awhile but I'll give it a shot ! Thanks for the write up !!

Bronze Star Contributor

Just wanted to mention that there's a message that accompanies the "reset" option that says only use if your browser is unusable , and also it might make sense to take several screen shots of the current settings b4 trying a reset .

New Visitor

I disabled the Xfinity Tool Bar and it's been working great for the past three days. I read on the forums that many people are having this same problem. You would think Comcast would have a fix for this. If their tool bar doesn't work do something about the problem !

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems like many of us have different issues with out connectivity and so the following may or may not solve your specific problem but I called Comcast's security area yesterday and was given some suggestions that I thought were good :

tools/internet options/advanced/restore advanced settings - apparently not as drastic as a reset .

go to microsoft.com & search for "malicious software removal tool" - it's free - download & run a full scan.

if you have a Norton product that includes a startup menu cleanup routine, use it.

switch browsers, e.g. Firefox , Chrome

Visitor

I've been having a problem with with Internet Explorer 9 crashing for months, also; it appears that this is system-wide problem judging from the number of  messages shown here. I tried changing to Google Chrome, but after a few days, it stopped loading Comcast - so i'm back to Comcast and the crashes. Anyone have anything not already tried?

Thanks

Contributor
amy68

I've tried everything listed here & more. I'm using Google Chrome now, Comcast told me they haven't heard of any problems & the tech I s/w said he sent out an email to 300 + techs when I was on the phone with him & nobody else has heard  of any issues. Supposedly IE 9 is having MAJOR issues per Comcast tech, but they are stating it hasn't t  affected  them.  I give up with Comcast I told them to read all our posts & also google problem & I was told again there isn't a problem & that I needed to go back to where I bought my Laptop & have them fix it since they are to blame.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

yesterday I used the first two tips I got from Comcast noted in my earlier post , restore adv. settings & download/run the Microsoft malicious software removal tool - not a single tthreat was found out of a scan of more than a million files - then for the entire day I just kept one window open , the Comcast homepage - if I went to another website , it was by going to favorites from the homepage - only 1 website was ever open at one time - I normally have 6-7 websites open at the same time and go back and forth - my specific problem didn't occur the entire time

the curious thing as I mentioned b4 is that my wife & I have pretty much identical everthing & she doesn't have any issues - and we're on the same network.

Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

You could try uninstalling IE9, reboot and see if you get the same problems with your earlier IE version,   OR ... do the above and reinstall IE9.

I went back to IE8 mainly because IE9 did not block ads nearly as well as with the InPrivate Filtering.  Does IE9 offer the Compatibility View?   I have to use the compatibility thing on some websites.

For really clean uninstalls, I like "Revo Uninstaller" which was recommended by a Microsoft tech rep.  There's a "pro" version which can be used free for 30 days.   It removes tons of remnants (including registry items) that program uninstalls miss.

amy68

Already did the uninstall & reinstall, did just about everything listed here. I'm just plugging along & seeing what happens. Have a great day

Email Expert
CCCarole

Amy,

I am notifying the Forums Administrator.  He can contact the Xfinity Team and have them review your entire thread.  However, since it is already the end of the business week, he may not see my request until Monday, so hang in there.

I know this doesn't help you, but I do use Internet Explorer version 9 without issue, and also use Firefox Version 11.  Until this is fixed, maybe switch to one of the other browsers and use it instead? 

I THINK you said you uninstalled the Comcast toolbar?  If you haven't- i would definitely uninstall it and uninstall Constant Guard too.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Star Contributor

last night my wife got the message that Amy originally described , IE has caused a webpage to stop working & will shut down .

good to know that maybe more resources will be directed at this - see what happens next week .

Contributor
amy68

So sorry your wife got that message.  I spoke with Comcast supervisor & she was very adamanit that it is not a Comcast problem & therefore they would not be addressing the issue & that I needed  to contact people who handle IE issues. It's definetly a compatiablity issue but Comcast won't address it.  Have a great day!

Bronze Problem Solver
DoubleG

I read a post here that someone else was having a problem with IE crashing when opened to Xifinity home page and discovered that turning on IE's compatiablity mode solved the problem.

Contributor
amy68

Did that was well as disabled add on's didn't work...I think I've done it all & still no luck...I'm still checking other options.. Have a good day

Contributor
amy68

Thanks for info, I did that was well as disabled add on's didn't work...I think I've done it all & still no luck...I'm still checking other options.. Have a good day

Contributor
lensimms

have to keep reopening the webb page

Bronze Star Contributor

I'm keeping my fingers crossed - it's been 4 hours with 4 websites open at the same time and not one has frozen grey/white with swirlie blue guy in the middle - things are looking up or at least encouraging .

Contributor
clink770

AMY  i'm having the same problem.  i think it's a problem with comcast.  this all started for me about 7-10 days ago...windows freezing when you click on a link for 2-4 minutes.  it's very frustrating.  i can tell you...it's not an explorer problem because i have multiple laptops with multiple OS...they're all doing the same thing as long as they're linked to COMCAST.  I run here at 54 MPS on high speed but lately it's been feeling like the old dial up connections from long ago.

Contributor
amy68

Hi, sorry too hear about the problems you're having. My husband was out of the state last week & took his laptop, using hotel wifi & still had problems. Not sure what is going on, I have en email out to Microsoft to see if maybe they have answers..Good luck

Contributor

I started having the same problem last week. After looking around and trying different fixes, this is what fixed it for me. I uninstalled IE9 and reinstalled it. When I went to reinstall my flash player, I discovered that the latest flash update isn't compatible with the 256-bit IE9 but it is compatible with the 64-bit IE9. I had to install an earlier version of flash on my 256-bit and now both versions are working fine. I don't know if this will work for anybody else but it did work for me. The problem isn't with Comcast or IE, I believe it's in Adobe's newest flash version. I also set Adobe to prompt before installing so I can see what I"m getting and if it's compatible.

Regular Contributor

No reason to use IE anymore. It's problem plagued & slow.

Firefox is the best browser period.

Life is to short to waste time with problem causing software.

There are to many free choices!

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Editors choice:

http://download.cnet.com/mozilla-firefox/?tag=lst--5

Google Chrome is also very good! Some ways better than Firefox.

https://www.google.com/chrome

http://download.cnet.com/Google-Chrome/3000-2356_4-10881381.html?tag=dropDownForm;productListing;pop

Opera is a Browser that's been around forever.

I really like using it some times.

http://www.opera.com/browser/

http://download.cnet.com/Opera/3000-2356_4-10005498.html?tag=dropDownForm;productListing;pop

Contributor
clink770

kimi...i'm not using IE9.  my laptops use XP, 7, and linux.  same problems on all three.  has to be with comcast.  and, doing the same thing at two different locations.

Contributor
clink770

bobb... one laptop using linux and firefox as a brouser.  same problem.

Contributor

The browser you're using doesn't matter. A friend of mine who is an IT specialist had the same problem and he doesn't use Comcast. He found it to be the flash player.

Contributor
clink770

Contributor
clink770

I declne flash updates, kimi. Haven,t updated my flash in forever. I disabled the auto notices for flash updates last month. Appreciate the suggestion though.
Security Expert
CajunTek

clink770 wrote:
I declne flash updates, kimi. Haven,t updated my flash in forever. I disabled the auto notices for flash updates last month. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Bad idea... Not updating flash that is, there are security vulnerabilities in older version of flash. I suggest you change

what you are doing.

TANSTAAFL!!

Contributor
amy68

Hi in reference to flash player causing the problem, I uninstalled flash player & the problem persisted... So in my case the problem isn't flash player... I think it's an IE problem. My husband was away & he still had issues & was not using Comcast.

New Visitor
dbishamb

Disable any Shockwave objects in IE add-ons (...settings..manage add-ons)

Contributor
amy68

Hi, I took your advice & disabled the schock wave, still having issues. I did notice that some days IE doesn't crash as often. The latest thing as soon as I log on I get logged back off it just happens the 1st time I log on. I did get info from Microsoft telling me to uninstall Norton & reinstall it & that might fix problems & if not I'm supposed to let them know....So here I go>>>>>> wish me luck... 

Bronze Star Contributor

well it's over a month since the thread began & a week since the last post - could that mean that issues have either been resolved or diminished for many of us in this community ? my issues seem to have diminished . 

Contributor
amy68

Somedays there is definitely less of a problem. I'm also on Microsoft forum, I've done everything I've been told to do by them & it hasn't helped in fact it has caused a problem with Adobe flash player now.