Regular Contributor

Mozilla Firefox Problems

I have only had my computer since 9/2008, so I am by no means knowledgeable of all these technical terms I see here on others questions. (had to get that out of the way so you didn't waste your time using all that gibberish on me. haha)

I had originally gotten IE, but after about a year or little more I got so fed up with the constant crashing that I moved on to Mozilla Firefox. within this year I have been having SO many problems with Firefox I'm ready to throw my computer out the window.

My question is...is there any way to either, uninstall back to the older version of it before all these problems started or just uninstall Firefox all together?

And, if I do get rid of Firefox, will I lose anything I've saved (ie:history, favorites, bookmarks, etc)??

And, if I can get rid of it w/o losing anything, is there another one that has good reviews as to quality,customer support, etc that you would recommend??? (I'd really rather not go back to IE)

I would Sincerely Appreciate ANY Help or Advice you could give me on this.

THANK YOU & GOD BLESS

PattiT

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: Mozilla Firefox Problems

[ Edited ]

Which version of FIrefox do you have? The latest is 7.01. Also, what add-ons does it have? I've been using FF for a long time, and it's been very stable. Do you keep your Flash player up to date? Is your Antivirus software and definitions up to date, and have you run a scan recently?

Regular Contributor

Hi andyross:  TY for getting back to me SO quickly.

If 7.01 is the one that's just come out in the past couple weeks or so, then yes, I have the latest one.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what Addons, Plugins, etc I have. I do know that just recently my Adobe was updated & my Java, but now something came & said the new Java updated is not compatible with this new version of Firefox.

My Security is Norton & I assume they update regularly or it wouldn't give me the green "secure" everyday.

p.s. ((Like I've stated in other posts--I can't get into Firefox b/c for some reason they say my user name/password is wrong - even when they "successfully" did a password change for me, I Still can NOT sign in to them!))  AND, they have me Some Where there or they wouldn't be able to Email Me Constantly like they do!

I'm Very Sorry, but I'm not Real good with computers. I just know enough to get in to the things I do & that's pretty much it.

So if there is ANY way at all you could Help Me I would Greatly Appreciate It!!!!!

Thank You & God Bless

PattiT

Regular Contributor

...Also (sorry) - Is there a way to find out what addons, plugins, etc. I have & if I need the ones I have and if they are up to date?

Someone had asked me about that & I can't even figure out how to find them let alone know if I need them all & if they're up to date.

I know I ask a lot & I Truly Am Grateful For All Your Patience With Me.

Thanks Again

PattiT

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Click on "Tools" at the top of the browser bar, then click on "Add-ons". You will see the "plug ins" and the "extensions" there.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

FF is updating so fast that some add-ons are having trouble keeping up to date. 99% of the time, it's just a tested limit and it will actually work. As far as Java, it's just the Java Console that shows as not compatible, and it's not a problem unless you are a programmer or want to debug Java programs. The main Java itself should work. You can double-check it at http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

For Flash issues, you can double-check the version and if it works here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

As mentioned, you can look at your add-ons by going to Tools/Add-Ons. I think FF defaults to auto-updating add-ons. You can also click the little gear icon to force an update check. You can also see about getting FF help on the Firefox forums: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/home

Regular Contributor

Hi andyross (you are just an angel for putting up with me-lol)

It says in my adobe & java that they are up to date...YET -- in tools/addons, my java is 'incompatible' with my version of firefox (btw-I uninstalled the new 7. version of ff back to the 6.---but it was incompatible in all versions).

Went into contol panel/programs&features & uninstalled all that I don't have anymore or don't want.

Don't know what else to do.

Thanx

Regular Contributor

Oh....Now you KNOW I can't get on FF for help andyross....remember, they don't 'recognize my user name/password to sign in?

(oh & I did click on little gear-no new updates)

Service Expert
Again

Patti, I have a few questions for you.

1. What version of Windows are you running?
  2. When was the last time you ran a virus scan and a malware scan on your computer?
  3. Did you ever uninstall the Comcast toolbar?
  4. How much hard drive space do you have left on your computer?
  5. When was the last time you cleared your browser cache?
  6. When was the last time you cleaned your computer of temporary and unnecessary files?
  7. You keep saying "they" - "they" who?
  8. You also say you "can't get into Firefox".  Firefox is a browser and just opens; you don't need a password.  What is it you "can't get into"?
  9. Who is changing your password and what is the password for?
  10. Please tell us what error messages you're getting and exactly what they say.

I know, these are a lot of questions, but answers to them will help us begin to understand what is going on with your problems.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---

"I am you and you are me. Teach me about you and I will teach you about me, and we'll find we aren't so different after all."
--- © James Scott 2012

Regular Contributor

I will attempt....

1. I have Windows Vista Home Premium (if you mean Windows 6, 7, etc--not sure, but I believe 7 or 8)

2. I just ran ALL scans, updates, Everything that could be run on Norton Security Suite, I ran today.

3. no

4. not sure what u mean (in start menu under computer it says-OS(C:smileyhappy:327GB free of 455GB & RECOVERY(D:smileyhappy:8.20GB free of 9.76G:smileycool: is that what u mean?

5. within the last week

6. part of all the scanning, etc I did in Norton today (I remember that was one)

7. sorry, 'they' are firefox.

8. What I meant was I can't into firefox's site (you know,clicking on ff icon & it brings up the M.FF page-but to do anything you have to register or sign in?).

9. I requested a change when I tried to 'sign in' I clicked on the little sentence under the sign in boxes that says 'Forgot your password?'  Just so the password I would put in would right. FF did send me an email stating that my "password was changed successfully" via email.

10. When I put in my 'user name & password'  I get--In Red:  "Please Enter the Correct User Name & Password"

WHEW! (lol)  I answered them to the Best of my Knowledge kind sir.  If there is any additional info from these answers, you will unfortunately have to ask in Real Real Laymans terms & let me know where to go in my computer to find the exact answers you're looking for. (again, I'm sorry)

Service Expert
Again

You did good!

You really need to uninstall the Comcast toolbar.  For some people it really does cause more problems than what it is worth.

I'm going to guess here, but it sounds as though you registered at the Firefox forums so you could post and answer questions there, but for some reason your login isn't working, even after a re-set.  Is that correct?  Did you write the password down that they gave you?  Could you be typing an uppercase letter where a lowercase letter should be, or visa versa?  Did the email they sent you contain the new password?  If so, did you try doing a copy/paste of it in the password box at FF?

As far as Java goes, I would go to the java.com website and download the current version of Java for Firefox.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---

"I am you and you are me. Teach me about you and I will teach you about me, and we'll find we aren't so different after all."
--- © James Scott 2012

Regular Contributor

Ah (*sittin up straight smilin*) Gosh, Thanx

(now for the goofy questions)

When I went to uninstall the comcast toolbar it said something about also 'removing personal toolbar files' with uninstalling comcast toolbars.

What is that?

And, Yes I registered with FF when I first got (downloaded) them. Yes, believe me I write EVERYTHING down. I Always make Double Sure when I'm signing in Anywhere that caps are off (as 99% of my name/pswds are lower case).

No, I am the one that changed it. You know how when search for a site & when it comes up it asks for your email/user name AND password?  And under the spaces to type those in, is usually,in blue letters, written "Forgot Your Password?" & you can click on that, then you get sent an email with a link to go back to their site & change your password?  --  That's what I did.  Only that didn't work either, even though FF sent me an email right back saying "password change was successful".  Go Figure!

NOW, for Java-do you mean they would have a separate version for FF?  B/C when I checked they (Java) said I had the updated version-so is it different fro FF then?

Regular Contributor

p.s.  I just went back into Java & it says I have the latest version - hope it means the FF b/c I'm not paying some so-called expert $50. to tell me it is or isn't.

Oh, I have another silly question:  (you are just lovin me huh?-lol)

When I was nebbin around in my windows help box today, one of the things it said was to 'run' my device manager-I could not figure out for the life of me where to do that from.  But one thing I did read was that my 'user' on my computer should be "standard"(recommended)  and not "administrator". Well it seems I've been using "administrator" this whole time. So I added the "standard" user, but when I switched over to it, I noticed that my screen saver was gone & when I hit my 'Start' button at bottom-very Few things came up. Like, my file folder for documents,etc was "folder is empty" . So am I to understand that ALL the Stuff I've accumulated on my computer while its been under "administrator" is NOT also on my "standard" user?

WOW--there is just too much Stuff to know here, I'm drowning. (haha)

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH THOUGH FOR EVERYTHING YOU'VE BEEN DOING-YOU ARE AN ANGEL!

Regular Contributor

Me Again:

>I have double-checked & I do have the latest Java for Firefox

>>I have uninstalled the 7. Firefox version & re-installed the last one (I Think 6.something)

>>>NOW, when I am in Facebook & click to play my FB game, I will be right in middle of playing & all of a sudden screen goes all gray and in the center it says "Adobe Flash has Crashed" then everything disappears and has to be started over from beginning (I mean loggin to computer!) --- BUT when I check under tools & go to Adobe & check, it says I have the lastest version installed successfully!?

((THEN, to make matters worse, I got my bill today & for all the problems I keep having my bill keeps going up & up--I may have to look in to other webs-just can't afford comcast anymore on disability!))

Thank You for ANY & ALL feedback, advice, suggestions, ANYTHING you help me with!!!!!

God Bless

Patti

New Visitor
tracelc

hi Patti,

from what i read i don't know if you ever got this figured out, but i

can tell you that i tried for months to play certain shows (most shows really) on the computer and they wouldn't play.finally, i thought i'd see if it's a browser issue so downloaded IE since i only had FF. lo and behold it worked!

you can have both FF and IE on the same computer and go back and forth between the two if you like. if something failes in one browser, go try it on the other and see if it works.

i think Comcast needs to work on this browser issue.