New Visitor

Why are many web pages suddenly not loading?

Starting last Saturday, most web sites will not load a web page and produce only "this page will not load" message. Complicated sites like Comcast homepage, Google, NW Airlines, Delta, etc load fine, but most other web sites do not load even though they worked fine in the past. The problem happens from the Favorites menu and from Google or other search engines. It is happening on machines running Win 98, Win xp, and Mac 8.6. All are using IE. They are connected to a D-link router to an RCA cable modem that Comcast provided about 2 years ago. The problem seemed to develop after the system in our area was "upgraded" but several neighbors are not having the same difficulties. Need help as we are almost cut off from being able to use the internet.
Most Valued Poster
Naddie1

Re: Why are many web pages suddenly not loading?

Call 1-800-COMCAST or 1-888-COMCAST

Naddie D
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Bronze Star Contributor

From the brief description of the problem, you may find the answer in the post located in the following "Connections" Forum:
"Router no longer working"

Note the post in that topic where users have D-Link Routers and are able to surf some sites but not all.

I'd also Comcast, as suggested, too.
New Visitor

Thanks. Will check router. I called Comcast and did not get any useful info other than other people have had the same problem, will call back, and no f/u.
New Visitor

I'm having the same problem....noticed it last weekend too. It's driving me crazy. I've tried just about everyhing. Did you come up with a solution yet?
Terri
Most Valued Poster
Naddie1

Have tried any of the suggestions listed?

Naddie D
New Visitor

I also have a DLink Modem & Router and am having the same frustrating problems. I tried deleting SP 2 thinking it was the problem but it wasn't. I still continue to get the error message saying "the page cannot be displayed DNS error". My settings and configurations are really messed up now. Has anyone discovered a solution to this problem? Also, Is there a place I can check my settings to see if they're ok? I have windows XP and am running Internet Explorer 6. Please help, my computer is stressing me out!!!! I can't even access these help pages or most info on the comcast site.(I'm using my computer at work right now) Are there any tricks to accessing these forum pages with the problem I'm having?
THANKS
Most Valued Poster
Naddie1

Go to the security forum, and read, READ THIS FIRSTpaying particular attention to the first five. I would e-mail this to your home so that you will have it. You may have to do this the long way around, I would also suggest that you Post this problem on that forum. There are a lot of really savy guys and gals that hang out there.
Lots of luck

Naddie D
New Visitor

Thanks for the quick response and great info. I can't wait to go home and try it.
Much appreciated.
Bronze Star Contributor
cinderstella

Go to the D-Link website and chose your router model and upgrade the firmware to the latest. Or call them at 1-800-326-1688
Visitor

I've had this same problem as well. I can reach MSN, Google, etc... but 90% of the sites/links I can't get to. But this is not 100% consistent either - occassionally I can get to a site that was inaccessible. It started a few weeks ago.

I have an SMC router. I thought my PC was being hijacked and after running 6 spyware removers I gave up and reloaded XP. After going through all that, I still have the problem. Interesting note, If go through my AOL account browser (still routed through comcast), I don't have the problem - or at least it's not as bad. Doesn't AOL use IE? This is driving me nuts. I've seen this problem posted in a few places, but no one actually reporting a fix.
New Visitor

I had a similar problem starting early this week. I could travel through pages, but would produce a blank window (with no address in the address bar) for any NEW window.
The only error I could find was a supposed script error in the source page when it attempted to open the NEW window.
Since the source line did not look in error, I upgraded my service packs; this failed to fix the problem.
Then, I re-installed Internet Explorer and the problem disappeared immediately.
Hope this is of some help.