Regular Contributor

Xfinity keeps hijacking my browsing.

I keep getting Xfininity interfering with my browsing.  I'm using Firefox 4 and if I type in the name of the website I want.  ie.  I type buniness name instead of .com name, it sometimes gives me this xfinity search page instead of a google page or just not going to the website.

Also, when I print my email messages I get this Xfinity Connect with my email address across at the top of my print out and it over writes on top my messages making hard to read or unreadable.

Is there a setting somewhere to keep xfinity from overtaking my browsing?

-=Mark=-

ps, I just reinstalled windows and it does it still.

New Visitor
susaroun

Re: Xfinity keeps hijacking my browsing.

Same hijacking is happening to me too.  Very frustrating.

Email Expert
CCCarole

MarkJohnson wrote:

I keep getting Xfininity interfering with my browsing.  I'm using Firefox 4 and if I type in the name of the website I want.  ie.  I type buniness name instead of .com name, it sometimes gives me this xfinity search page instead of a google page or just not going to the website.

Also, when I print my email messages I get this Xfinity Connect with my email address across at the top of my print out and it over writes on top my messages making hard to read or unreadable.

Is there a setting somewhere to keep xfinity from overtaking my browsing?

-=Mark=-

ps, I just reinstalled windows and it does it still.

You are not current with Firefox yet- The current version is now version 5.0

After updating to the latest version, clear your browser cache & let us know if that helps you at all.  Do you have the same issues if you switch over to Internet Explorer?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert
CCCarole

susaroun wrote:

Same hijacking is happening to me too.  Very frustrating.

Please post back which browser/version you are using.  And discribe your problem in detail please.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

It happens randomly for me.  I just installed Mac OS X and it happened in Safari (5.0.5).  I'll try to post a pic.:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/screenshot20110720at112.jpg/

Service Expert
Bartleby

Regular Contributor

Bartleby wrote:

I believe you just need to opt out of the redirect.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/08/comcasts-dns-redirect-service-goes-nationwide.ars

More info here, though dated.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Simplifies-DNS-Redirection-Opt-Out-104334

Thanks for the links.

I went into customer central (my account from email) and turned off domain helper, but it still does it anyway.

so much for giving us options :smileysilly:

Thanks again

-=Mark=-

New Visitor
susaroun

Doesn't work for me either and now I've wasted time trying to take care of something I didn't want in the first place...very frustrated - 

Service Expert
Bartleby

Note that supposedly you also need to powercycle equipment for the opt-out to work, at least per the comments around it.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

You can also point your router to Comcast's opt-out DNS servers. Log into your router and put 75.75.75.75 for a primary DNS and 75.75.76.76 for a secondary DNS.

Regular Contributor

Bartleby wrote:

Note that supposedly you also need to powercycle equipment for the opt-out to work, at least per the comments around it.

I did that as well with no luck.

as for:

You can also point your router to Comcast's opt-out DNS servers. Log into your router and put 75.75.75.75 for a primary DNS and 75.75.76.76 for a secondary DNS.

Can you post links to verify this, it just doesn't sound right.

-=Mark=-

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Google found that this is actually a opt-in for stopping redirects.  They call it dnssec.
I haven't read much about it yet, but it will be fully enforced soon.

Here's what they sayit is.

What is DNSSEC?

DNSSEC is an enhanced level of Internet security that allows Websites and ISPs to validate domain names to ensure they are correct and not tampered with. This prevents hackers from injecting false information (aka DNS cache 'poisoning'), to attempt to re-direct people trying to access a real website to a fake, phishing or criminal site.
    An informative video can be found here.

Here's a link to the video:

http://www.dnssec.comcast.net/dnssec-video.htm

Here's a link from comcast's website.

http://www.dnssec.comcast.net/faq.htm

It kind of ironic that this Comcast service is suppose to protect us from Comcast!

Also, at the end of the video it implies if you have Comcast's Constant Guard installed you will be protected.  we'll see.

Service Expert
Bartleby

I don't know where the DNSSEC servers might have been identified as "opt-out" servers related to this issue, other than in the earlier post here.  I think that's just a mistake.  They weren't created to allow opting out of the redirection.

Another alternative would be to use OpenDNS.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Just a bit of background....The domain helper service was brought in by Comcast some time ago, all user accounts were automatically "opted in" to the service.

It was due to be phased out earlier this year, but Comcast has put that date back a little, it is now due to be phased out by the end of 2011. Then all users will be on the DNSSEC servers:

75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76

As has been mentioned, you can opt out of the domain helper service, by visiting your account as the primary user, then under "users and settings" switch off the domain helper service, then power cycle your equipment.

Or, set the DNSSEC servers manually in your router and powercycle to achieve the same thing. (you can use any DNS server you choose of course).

Regular Contributor

I finally  installed Constant Guard lst night and it seems to enable the DNSSEC.  It is atleast giving me errors instead of giving me comcast redirects.

I wish they would fix the domain helper so it will disable itself like it's suppose to.  I hate installing unneccasry software. 

It may also be my  router box.  I installed Untangle on my spare machine and made my own router.  It works wonderfully and tons of extra protection a store bought router has.  You'll just need an extra PC and a little bookshelf Atom system will work great.

anyway, it seems to be working properly now.

-=Mark=-

Connection Expert
EG

Paraniod wrote:

Or, set the DNSSEC servers manually in your router and powercycle to achieve the same thing. (you can use any DNS server you choose of course).

In addition, if one is not using a router, this would need to be configured in to the computer's network adapter *Connection Properties* dialog.

New Visitor
bitcoiner

Over a year later and I'm getting the same problem. Changing to google's DNS servers didn't help.

Visitor

I am not a tech guy but something is blocking my access to websites I always look at.

I'm in Colorado and have Comcast broadband and a Mac. I can't get certain websites to open with either my laptop or my iPod touch but I am here at a coffee shop and with their wifi it works fine. Comcast is doing something, any help is appreciated.  I have cleared cookies and the cache and tried safari and foxfire. Still no go. Comcast said there is no problem on their end......
Regular Contributor

diegotralfaz wrote:

I am not a tech guy but something is blocking my access to websites I always look at.

I'm in Colorado and have Comcast broadband and a Mac. I can't get certain websites to open with either my laptop or my iPod touch but I am here at a coffee shop and with their wifi it works fine. Comcast is doing something, any help is appreciated.  I have cleared cookies and the cache and tried safari and foxfire. Still no go. Comcast said there is no problem on their end......

You should start a new topic.  This is unrelated to this original post and you will not get the right help here.

Try resetting the router.  If that doesn't work, start a new post.

Luck
-=Mark=-