Visitor
12johnharvey

annoying popups

i keep getting annouyin pops as soon as home page load or i open my mail

Email Expert
Latoque

Re: annoying popups

What are you using for a home page?  What browser are you using and which version?  Do you have the pop-up blocker enabled in whatever browser you use?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Visitor
12johnharvey

i am using chrome, but i use ,xfinity for my home page that were the problem was, but currently whatever was done it appears to be working thank you

Contributor
hankdrew

Did anyone find a resolve for these pop-ups that continue no matter what? example; pop-up ads, random new tabs and even a Comcast tab that ask you to participate in a survey! 

Any help out there??

Email Expert
Latoque

Where are you getting the pop-ups?  On your homepage or what?  Do you have the pop-up blocker in your browser enabled?  Which browser are you using?  What kind of ads are they?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor
hankdrew

Usually the pop-ups can be triggered when the cursor is on a part of the page not assciated with a hyperlink and just click on that part and a new tab would open up to a Mozilla page requesting to download a PLV video player. The pop-up blocker was enabled via the tools option, however didn't seem to have an effect. Thus far we've only used Firefox as the primary browser with previous Windows versions and PC's. Since replacing the previous PC which ran on Vista, we're now operating on Windows 8.  

Email Expert
Latoque

[ Edited ]

OK I just looked in Firefox, and I can't duplicate whatever it is you're seeing.  Was the cursor on something or just a blank piece of the page?  I'm on a Mac, but I don't know that that would make any difference.  Just as a test, try it with IE or Chrome to see if you get the same thing.

Contributor
hankdrew

This problem began shortly after we purchased a new laptop PC. It has Windows 8 and once things were established such as all the programs we were comfortable with, all the sudden pop-ups were becoming frequent and the ademant ads to download a FLV Player won't stop. The fact that you're running on a Mac I'm sure makes a huge difference. It's my understanding that Macs are almost immune to all these issues. I'm currently running on Chrome and at least the majority of the pop-ups aren't present, however the FLV Player ads still are. Any suggestions?

Email Expert
Latoque

New Windows machines typically come with a lot of rubbish trial programs and other stuff loaded on them depending on what vendor or manufacuturer you are dealing with.  Could it be the pop-ups are originating with one of those?  Have you cleared a lot of that pre-loaded junk off the machine?

Contributor
hankdrew

That certainly could be possible.  If I were to remove any more programs at this point not sure how the machine would function.  Didn't come with much in the way of trial programs. We purchased a Dell laptop from QVC not knowing how this version of Windows 8 would operate compared to the last machine running Vista. Didn't care much for Vista and really wouldn't say anything good about this version.  Having way too many issues from the start. 

Bronze Problem Solver
DoubleG

Look in your windows add / remove program for FLV player and also Applian technologies the company that makes the player and uninstall them from your computer.

Contributor
hankdrew

Unable to find any such company or FLV Player in the menu.  Any other possible suggestions?

These pop-ups are non-stop.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Hankdrew, do you have the adobe flash player in your control panel?

control panel adobe flash player.png

Just taking stabs in the dark..

ciao, bj

Contributor
hankdrew

Yes, it's there.  What suggestions do you have?

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Hi Hankdrew,

I was just over at dsl reports and saw this thread:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28551962-Issues-with-pop-ups-adware .

It appears similar to yours, have you resolved your problem yet?

If not it might be worth your time to read the mandatory steps for help and go through the process.   They've helped me more than once..

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13616.

Good luck, ciao, bj

Contributor
hankdrew

All in all, turns out the underlying issue was the pc was infected with perhaps a virus or worse, not sure!

Ultimately, the pc was reset and windows re-installed to resolve the issue.  Not what I was expecting but that's what happens with computers.  A lesson well learned.

Thanks for all the assistance offered.