New Visitor
mpcdl

uninstalling the xfinity toolbar and/or xfinity search home page

Since I just wasted the better part of an hour on this problem, thought I'd share the solution I found.

In the process of setting up comcast service, I had to install software that added a very unhelpful Xfinity Search toolbar to firefox.  At least that's what I thought happened.  When I typed a search in the location bar (as I'm wont to do for a lazy shortcut), the search redirected to an Xfinity search page.  How annoying!

Worse yet, even after I removed the Xfinity search engine from the browser (very easy to do with "Manage Search Engines"), searches continued to be redirected to the Xfinity page.  I tried looking for Xfinity or Comcast add-ons in the browser and in the Windows Control Panel - nothing!  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox, but that didn't fix it.  Aaaaargh!  Then I tried Chrome, and the same thing happened there - Screeech!

Eventually I figured out that comcast - bless their hearts - does not return a "no-such-domain" error when you type a search in the location box, which is typically what tells your browser to redirect to your default search engine.  Instead, comcast automatically redirects your search, via so-called DNS Assistance, to their own search page.  (It was probably meant well, but it drove me bonkers.)

So - if you find yourself unexpectedly landing on the Xfinity search page when don't want to, here's what to do:

-- In Firefox, you have to update one of the advanced defaults using the following directions:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/searches-take-you-to-wrong-search-website

-- In Chrome, go to your Settings (chrome://chrome/settings/); under Search, you can specify the default search engine for input in the 'omnibox', plus you can remove any search providers you don't want with Manage Search Engines :smileylaugh:

Problem solved, for me!

New Visitor
mpcdl

Re: uninstalling the xfinity toolbar and/or xfinity search home page

Forgot to specify:  to make the Firefox location bar work redirect to a search provider of your choice, you need to go to about:config in Firefox (type that in the location bar), then update the keyword:URL value to the search terms corresponding to your search provider.  For example, to use Google web search as your default, set the keyword:URL setting to:

https://www.google.com/search?q=

This automatically gets prepended to any search term you type in the location bar, and Google correctly interprets the result as a search rather than a malformed domain name.

New Visitor
barbasr

Re: uninstalling the xfinity toolbar and/or xfinity search home page

I had to reset this entry too

browser.search.defaultenginename

Cheers