Visitor
dennisbailly

Remote does not turn off cable boxes.

Initially I had the X2 boxes (4 of them) installed. Only the box with the DVR can be sync to the remote. The cable boxes and tv would turn on, when activate by pressing the "All" power button. When pressing the "All" power button to turn off only the TV turns off, not the cable boxes (all four). The initial 4 boxes were replaced today and the same problem exists on the new ones. Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem. Tech person doing the installation doesn't know and indicated they were having the same problem elsewhere. The Comcast representative that signed us up does not have an answer either.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

Re: Remote does not turn off cable boxes.

The more recent updates to the X1 boxes have made it that way--turning off the box doesn't really do much one way or another, so leaving it on isn't really that big of a deal.  If you really need to turn it off for some reason, you can still do it by pressing the power button on the box itself.

It would be good to get it back to a state where you can turn it off or on from the remote, but I guess given various sync issues people were running into here and there Comcast decided this would be a better solution for the time being.

Visitor
dennisbailly

Thanks. Too bad the support people aren't made aware of this issue. I've wasted a lot of time, not mentioned Comcast has replaced the original four boxes. By leaving them on, they are still using electricity (I'm sure a very small amount per each), and over time it mounts up. Enough for a good dinner in San Francisco :smileyhappy:!

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

dennisbailly wrote:

Thanks. Too bad the support people aren't made aware of this issue. I've wasted a lot of time, not mentioned Comcast has replaced the original four boxes. By leaving them on, they are still using electricity (I'm sure a very small amount per each), and over time it mounts up. Enough for a good dinner in San Francisco :smileyhappy:!

As far as the X1 boxes are concerned, with the standby mode that you can put them into before and even now (using the actual power button on the box) doesn't really use up less power than if the box is left on.

Contributor
spector54

Are they ever gping to put it back to where you can turn off both the TV and the X1?

Visitor
dennisbailly

Just spent another two hours with 2 Comcast technicians. Frankly, they really don't know what the problem seems to be. They replaced two more cable boxes, one having the dvr and another w/o dvr. The one w/o dvr is now functioning as should. The one with dvr doesn't work, on shut-off the tv goes off but not the cable box and now you can't turn the box off manually. A supervisor is coming with more boxes to exchange, later this afternoon. So far that makes 10 boxes that have been installed, with only one functioning correctly. ( I haven't gone into the other issues that have been addressed and now seemed to be corrected. I hope:smiley grin:smileyhappy:

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

spector54 wrote:

Are they ever gping to put it back to where you can turn off both the TV and the X1?

Probably, but no one really knows until they actually do it.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

dennisbailly wrote:

Just spent another two hours with 2 Comcast technicians. Frankly, they really don't know what the problem seems to be. They replaced two more cable boxes, one having the dvr and another w/o dvr. The one w/o dvr is now functioning as should. The one with dvr doesn't work, on shut-off the tv goes off but not the cable box and now you can't turn the box off manually. A supervisor is coming with more boxes to exchange, later this afternoon. So far that makes 10 boxes that have been installed, with only one functioning correctly. ( I haven't gone into the other issues that have been addressed and now seemed to be corrected. I hope:smiley grin:smileyhappy:

So what exactly is the issue?  Is it that you can't turn off the X1 DVR box with the remote?  If so, then that's by design now (at least for now).  Or is it something else?

Visitor
dennisbailly

I question that it is by design. One of the two boxes they replaced yesterday does turn off with the remote. Also, spoke with the supervisor of NthConnect, the installing company, and he says he questions it is by design because they have installed several that have turn off with the remote. Go figure! Somebody is giving out the wrong information

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

dennisbailly wrote:

I question that it is by design. One of the two boxes they replaced yesterday does turn off with the remote. Also, spoke with the supervisor of NthConnect, the installing company, and he says he questions it is by design because they have installed several that have turn off with the remote. Go figure! Somebody is giving out the wrong information

It has been confirmed that it is by design--the firmware was in fact changed to this behavior.  Customer support and installers can question things, but since they don't really decide anything in relation to firwmare releases, and often don't even really know anything about them, it's unfortunately much easier to question what they are saying.

Contributor
spector54

BUT NO ONE HAS ANSWERED THE QUESRTION WHY HAVE AN ON/OFF BUTTON AT ALL THEN IF IT IS MEANT TO BE LEFT ON???

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

spector54 wrote:

BUT NO ONE HAS ANSWERED THE QUESRTION WHY HAVE AN ON/OFF BUTTON AT ALL THEN IF IT IS MEANT TO BE LEFT ON???

If the cable box is off, for whatever reason (on purpose or not) then the all power button would be a one button solution to turn everything on at the same time.

Also because on a lot of the remotes it can also control a receiver as well, so in those cases that button can turn the TV and the receiver on (and if needed the cable box, if it was actually off) at the same time, and turn them (TV and the receiver at least) off at the same time.

That's why that button is not a cable box on/off button, but an "all" on/off button.

Contributor
spector54

AGAIN HAVE NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTION AS TO WHY IT DOES NOT TURN IT OFF WITH THE ALL POWER BUTTON ON THE REMOTE IT DID WSORK FOR AWHILE WHEN THEY CAME AND PUT IN THE SECOND BOX THEN YOU GUY'S DID A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO THE BOX AND DOES NOT WORK AGAIN?

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

spector54 wrote:

AGAIN HAVE NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTION AS TO WHY IT DOES NOT TURN IT OFF WITH THE ALL POWER BUTTON ON THE REMOTE IT DID WSORK FOR AWHILE WHEN THEY CAME AND PUT IN THE SECOND BOX THEN YOU GUY'S DID A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO THE BOX AND DOES NOT WORK AGAIN?

Seems like it's been explained earlier in the thread already.  Recently in one of the firmware updates the functionality of the All Power button has been changed so that it won't turn off the cable box.

It's hard to really know the full details for the reasoning behind the change, but at least part of the idea is to essentially make sure that whenver a customer uses the All Power button to turn on their TV, the cable box will definitely be on (instead of possibly being out of sync with the TV and turning off when it turns on, and vice versa).  It's essentially to simplify things for a lot of the customers who don't really realize or know what to do when the power state of the TV and cable box migth be out of sync.

That's all there's to it for now, until it migth be changed again in the future perhaps.

(Also, typing in all caps isn't very useful--in fact it makes things harder to read for the most part.)

Contributor
spector54

Yes and I also notice if its on a long time you get a must restart notice on TV whats that all about?

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

spector54 wrote:

Yes and I also notice if its on a long time you get a must restart notice on TV whats that all about?

More than likely there was a software/firmware update that was pushed to the box and in order for it to be fully installed the box needs to be restarted (which is likely when a message like that gets pushed to the box).

Contributor
X1_Has_problems

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the responses I am glad that it isn't just me. If it truly is by design though it would be nice to be able to turn the green light off, seems a bit redundant if the unit is on all of the time. I know you can reduce the brightness but if it has no purpose you should be able to turn it all the way off if you want to. Never mind I see that it does....

Contributor
spector54

Yes but the Box was off last nite by me pressing the green button and you guts send an update through and the green power light came on it seem all I am getting for answers are guess's.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

spector54 wrote:

Yes but the Box was off last nite by me pressing the green button and you guts send an update through and the green power light came on it seem all I am getting for answers are guess's.

So what is the issue again (beyond what's been covered earlier in the thread)?

Contributor
spector54

YOU KNOW WHAT I DON'T THINK ANY OF YOU GUY'S NO WHAT THE PROBLEM IS I CALL TOUR HOME OFFICE AND GET A DIFFERENT ANSWER THE YOU GIVE, SO YOU TELL ME!

New Visitor

Honestly what's the big deal? Its designed to stay on (power) until Comcast sends a firmware update that changes that. Also, when you get a restart message then you received an update. No big deal. Questions answered.
Contributor
spector54

YES IT IS A BIG DEAL YOUR BOX GETS EXTREMELY HOT WHEN IT IS ON ALL THE TIME AGAIN I'LL REPEAT WHY HAVE AN ON/OFF BUTTON IF IT IS OF NO USE DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO YOU???

Contributor
Contributor
K_S

Yes this is a big deal
I have audio going to a receiver from the STB and video to TV
The XR2 can't turn off the receiver nor the STB which means the sound keeps playing and only the video is turned off at the TV
Not exactly my idea of turning off the TV
Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

spector54 wrote:

YES IT IS A BIG DEAL YOUR BOX GETS EXTREMELY HOT WHEN IT IS ON ALL THE TIME AGAIN I'LL REPEAT WHY HAVE AN ON/OFF BUTTON IF IT IS OF NO USE DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO YOU???

It used to do it, but they changed it to simplify usability (while giving up some functionality), it seems.  It won't work again until there's an update to change that, and it's unknown when that update will happen.

As far as the box getting hot, it was pointed out in some of the X1 threads, that even when the remote did turn the box off (well, it sort of put it in standby at best) the power the box used was pretty much the same as when it was on (and the fan(s) were working just as much and just as hard too).  So, the whole part about power usage or box getting hot shouldn't really be affected by this change.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

K_S wrote:
Yes this is a big deal
I have audio going to a receiver from the STB and video to TV
The XR2 can't turn off the receiver nor the STB which means the sound keeps playing and only the video is turned off at the TV
Not exactly my idea of turning off the TV

There's is definitel that inconvenience.  Have you tried to see if the XR2 remote you have can be set up to turn on/off your receiver (as some certainly can be)?  Other than that, you'd unfortunately have to turn off the receiver separately yourself, at least for now.

Contributor
RamonUribe

You can turn the Green Light OFF and the Clock, you can also dim the light... In the "Settings" menu
Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

It looks like the latest firmware update now has a power save option along with a screen saver option (both can be found in device settings section of the menu).  So, you can set the power saver option to turn on after a set time, and that will turn the box off on its own after that period time (since you last used the box) passes.

Contributor
Contributor
K_S

I want to turn the STB off so it doesnt spew audio thru the optical out into my receiver in the middle of the night and do it WITH my remote.

Turning the light off doesnt accomplish this...

Contributor
Contributor
K_S

I havent yet got the latest firmware. I on the Jun 22 build. Powersave isnt really the same though...

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

K_S wrote:

I havent yet got the latest firmware. I on the Jun 22 build. Powersave isnt really the same though...

I believe it should be in that one, under screen saver options.  Power save will end up turning off the box, so it at least does that (although not immedately).  The other alternative, at least for now, is to press the power button on the box itself.

Contributor
Contributor
K_S

Yes. Agree. Not the best option though :smileyhappy:

Contributor
RamonUribe

[ Edited ]
Sorry KS, my response was to the person way above X1_Has_Problem ? Not sure why the "" didn't show in my reply sorry
New Visitor

Yes it's that way with both of my boxes. I have a tech coming on SUNDAY? to repair the issue. 

I also spent most of one evening with their very professional and courteous people to no avail.

We'll see if it work correctly after SUNDAY?

It's a mess and we are their test mice....

We are the test for them for correction of a system that was not ready to be launched. My question is why we are paying for it. I think they should give us a stipend for our timeless hours and efforts to help them!

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

nack wrote:

Yes it's that way with both of my boxes. I have a tech coming on SUNDAY? to repair the issue. 

I also spent most of one evening with their very professional and courteous people to no avail.

We'll see if it work correctly after SUNDAY?

It's a mess and we are their test mice....

We are the test for them for correction of a system that was not ready to be launched. My question is why we are paying for it. I think they should give us a stipend for our timeless hours and efforts to help them!

There's really no correction to be made, this is how it works now by design, as mentioned in a number of replies earlier in the thread.

New Visitor

Then why are they sending out a tech on a Sunday?

There's also another issue with feezeing of the different screens.

New Visitor
BGee10

All, I just had 3 boxes installed and facing the same "All" power button issues. My thoughts were the same "ALL" means everything; press once and everything turns off. My thinking was electricity consumption with the box running all day and night but I've read something that even though the box is visually turned off vs being either on or stand by mood (tv off and green light on?) it's utilizing the same electricity consumption, hmmm doesn't sound correct but OK; I guess. I think to simplify things, have the All power button as most consumers believe what an All button is supposed to do; either turn everything on or everything off. We'll see.

New Visitor
masangerman

I too have the "problem" with the big green dot (power button) not turning off by using the remote. It's just one of those things, I guess, that works the way it's supposed to but should have been designed to work another way. There's nothing to do about it but wait for Comcast, or whoever makes the boxes and software to make a change. 

New Visitor
mika-el

This would be a fine answer, if I were in fact able to assign the remote power buttons to toggle power on both my TV and Receiver.  I see this option nowhere in the instructions.  Further, the light on the front of the unit is bright and distracting.  When I want the bloody electronics turned off, I want them ALL turned off!!!

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

masangerman wrote:

I too have the "problem" with the big green dot (power button) not turning off by using the remote. It's just one of those things, I guess, that works the way it's supposed to but should have been designed to work another way. There's nothing to do about it but wait for Comcast, or whoever makes the boxes and software to make a change. 

This is normal - the box is designed to stay on so it does not get out of sync with the TV when using the "all on" remote button.  There is no difference in energy usage with box on or box off according to Comcast

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

mika-el wrote:

This would be a fine answer, if I were in fact able to assign the remote power buttons to toggle power on both my TV and Receiver.  I see this option nowhere in the instructions. 

Version 2 of the XR2 Remote can be programmed to control both a TV as well as an additional audio device, such as a sound system. To determine what version of the XR2 remote you have, look at the bottom of the back of your remote. It may say Version P2 or R2.

To program version 2 of the XR2 Remote to control the volume of your audio device, first follow the instructions to program the remote to control the TV set. Then, follow the same steps and enter one of the audio device manufacture’s codes found on the Codes list below. Once the remote is programmed to control both the TV and audio device, it will control the power of your TV and the power and volume (including mute) of your audio device.

If you attempt to enter a code for a third device, your remote will no longer be programmed to control the first two programmed devices.   

Below are the codes for audio devices:

Setup Codes for Audio Devices

Manufacturer

Code

ADC

Aiwa

30158, 30189, 30405

Bose

31229, 31933

Capetronic

Carver

Denon

31360, 31104

Harman/Kardon

30110, 30189

Integra

JBL

JVC

Kenwood

31313, 31570, 30027, 31027

Linn

Magnavox

30189, 30531

Marantz

Onkyo

30135, 30842

Optimus

31023, 30531

Panasonic

31308, 31518

Philips

30189, 31266

Pioneer

31023, 30014, 30531, 31384

Polk Audio

Proscan

RCA

31023, 31254, 30531

Sansui

Sanyo

31261, 31469, 31801

Sony

31759, 30158, 31758

Stereophonics

Sunfire

Technics

31308, 31518

Victor

Wards

30158, 30189, 30014

Yamaha

30176, 31176

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

mika-el wrote:

Further, the light on the front of the unit is bright and distracting.  When I want the bloody electronics turned off, I want them ALL turned off!!!

You can adjust the brightness of the lights in "Settings".

Visitor

It is really amazing to me that with everything there is to complain about everyone is so worried about whether or not their remote turns off the cable box. Mine doesn't either and it most certainly doesn't keep me up at night. I love the new platform and have no complaints. We have become so lazy these days that we can't even walk up to wherever our cable box is located and push a button. How sad that we may have to get off our butts to turn something off instead of pointing a remote at it. Ugh
Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

I'm thinking it may be by design for now because sometimes when I turn mine off manually when I turn it back on it reverts to 720p and I have to reset it to 1080p (my TV is 1080p as its only 2 months old)and it forgets I want the green power button dimmee . So maybe rather than deal with the complaints those 2 issues would generate they decided to program the remote to not shut the box of until they fix i, who knows.

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

pontiac04 wrote:
It is really amazing to me that with everything there is to complain about everyone is so worried about whether or not their remote turns off the cable box. Mine doesn't either and it most certainly doesn't keep me up at night. I love the new platform and have no complaints. We have become so lazy these days that we can't even walk up to wherever our cable box is located and push a button. How sad that we may have to get off our butts to turn something off instead of pointing a remote at it. Ugh

This is normal - the box is designed to stay on so it does not get out of sync with the TV when using the "all on" remote button.  There is no difference in energy usage with box on or box off according to Comcast.

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

cldlhd wrote:

I'm thinking it may be by design for now because sometimes when I turn mine off manually when I turn it back on it reverts to 720p and I have to reset it to 1080p (my TV is 1080p as its only 2 months old)and it forgets I want the green power button dimmee . So maybe rather than deal with the complaints those 2 issues would generate they decided to program the remote to not shut the box of until they fix i, who knows.

This is normal - the box is designed to stay on so it does not get out of sync with the TV when using the "all on" remote button.  There is no difference in energy usage with box on or box off according to Comcast.

Contributor
spector54

Why have a power button then at all??/

Contributor
Contributor
K_S

If you have audio thru the optical out instead of HDMI, the green light keeps the audio playing all night
Its not just an issue of energy
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

This post was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

That would be a prroblem, I bought a refurbished harmony one remote when I hit the power button it shuts off the receiver and the tv but not the x1 box

Contributor
NorthPt_X1_User

Absolutely incorrect. For the second time (mods deleted my first post in this section). There is a button on the X1 remote specifically for powering on/off the TV by itself, so if ever you were out of sync with the button that cycles everything on/off- all you need to do is hit the TV power button once. I find it interesting that nobody from Comcast has officially addressed this thread. Is there some other actual legitimate reason why the power button has been purposely changed so as not to power off the box? Out of sync is absolutely not acceptable for this inconvenience. It would seem pretty obvious that you have customers hear asking to have the ability to power off the X1 box turned back on- so either accommodate our request or explain why you cannot.