Visitor
Meechiej

Turning OFF X1 Equipment with remote

For weeks I have not been able to turn off my X1 cable boxes with the remote. I was told several weeks ago that it was an issue with the firmware. When will this issue be resolved? It's been about 3 weeks since I talked to some one your office about this issue. So much publicity about this new platform and I can't turn my boxes off with the new fancy remote. It worked when I got it installed.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

Re: Turning OFF X1 Equipment with remote

This wasn't a bug of some sort, it was changed by design in a somewhat recent software update for the X1 boxes.  There are number of threads/posts that cover it, like http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Remote-does-not-turn-off-cable-boxes/m-p/172264... where you can find more information about it.

Visitor
Meechiej

Ok, lots of information about the issue. WHAT IS THE RESOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE? Why would you do something by design like this? This does not make any sense to have a remote that can't turn off the box anymore.
Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

Meechiej wrote:
Ok, lots of information about the issue. WHAT IS THE RESOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE? Why would you do something by design like this? This does not make any sense to have a remote that can't turn off the box anymore.

It's not really an issue per se, it was done by design to simply usability--it seems that quite a few customers would sometimes end up in a state where they would have the cable box on and the TV off or vice versa, and pressing the All Power button would simply reverse that instead of getting them into a state that they would want (which is basically a state to watch their TV, with both the TV and cable box on).  So, to avoid issues of that sort (out of sync type issues) the change was made so that the All Power button would only turn on the cable box but not turn it off if it was already on.

Will this be changed to work differently (like it was before or some other way) in the future?  Hard to say, but perhaps, maybe even probably.  However, even that will actually happen, no one really knows when that might happen.  So, for now to turn the box off someone can press the physical button on the box and/or use the power saver feature.

Visitor
Meechiej

Logically and technically this change does not make any sense at all. Seriously! Whoever made this decision needs to revisit it.
Regular Contributor
Vickig46

Turning OFF X1 Equipment with remote-NEW

We have one X-1 Box with the DVR and one without.  Both have been replaced numerous times due to numerous problems and we have also had many different techs out (like 10).  It appears that all the  problems have been resolved other than the ability to record scheduled programs.  In total frustration one night my hubby turned off the power button and it recorded the scheduled program during the night.  So now we use the remote to turn all of, except of course, the power button which we now turn off manually and all works as it is supposed to.  We have been told by MANY of the techs NOT to turn off the power button, so why does the recording only work when it is off? 

Vicki

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

this could be solved by reintroducing some clutter to the remote with  separate cable and tv buttons like the old remote. I understand how it could get out of sync-you hit power off and go to bed ,the tv shuts off but the box doesn't because your taping a show then in the morning you hit the all power button and the reverse happens but I imagine most people could figure this out and the complaints about the box not shutting off outweigh those who couldn't.

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

cldlhd wrote:

this could be solved by reintroducing some clutter to the remote with  separate cable and tv buttons like the old remote. I understand how it could get out of sync-you hit power off and go to bed ,the tv shuts off but the box doesn't because your taping a show then in the morning you hit the all power button and the reverse happens but I imagine most people could figure this out and the complaints about the box not shutting off outweigh those who couldn't.

Right - but there's really no reason to shut the cable box off - unless the green light bothers the user.  In that case just change the brightness level.

Contributor
strahd9X1

Doesn't it use more energy if it is on constantly?

drew

Contributor
Contributor
K_S

Turning off means Turn of off Audio

My Green light is OFF. However my receiver was left on. The Audio goes from X1 Optical to Receiver. Sometime at 4am the thing started talking - most likely becasue some scheduled recording started.. Green light not withstanding...

Its not a the Green light bothering. A few decades ago the remote was invented. Among other things it turned off a device. The ask is to implement that feature. Not to turn off a light. 

The idea is to use one remote not multiple

I dont think this is such a big deal to implement either - it has been done before!

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

[ Edited ]

From the Comcast web site:

The All Power button will turn off your TV; however, it will not turn off an X1 Platform set-top box. To turn off the device, you must press the Power button on the front panel, configure the set-top box to go into Power Save automatically or simply leave the set-top box on while turning off the TV.

The remote communicates with the TV and set-top box using two different signaling technologies which would cause one device to sometimes get turned off while the other was turned on. Therefore, we disabled the ALL Power off functionality on the set-top box in an effort to keep the devices synchronized. We realize disabling the set-top box off button on the remote control isn’t ideal, and we are looking into options to address this issue.

Official Employee

K_s , that box you turned off probably did an update in the middle of the night and turned itself on after restarting
Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

[ Edited ]

Cable boxes are still more than 90% on even if you turn them off. I read somewhere that one particular cable box drew 37 watts on, 34 watts off.

People why are you so worried about leaving a cable box on? Are people really that a**l about power consumption? The X1 IS CLEARLY DESIGNED TO STAY ON 100% OF THE TIME. The difference in power draw is less than a typical night light.

Leave the d**n thing on and relax. Besides the start up time that X1 takes is so long you would realize very quickly it isn't worth and you would begin to leave it on.

PEACE ALL.

Rick G. in MSP

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

A few days ago I posted this in another thread and I believe it applies here:

These are pretty cheap remotes... I would not expect miracles from them. The XR2 remote for my loft system will control the volume and mute on my HK receiver but it DOES NOT turn it on or off. The XR2 remote I use in my master bedroom DOES control power and volume on the older Denon receiver I use in there.

On the other hand I rarely use the Comcast remotes. I have a collection of Harmony remotes and I now have a URC remote also. For those of you that are trying to run full A/V surround systems with the Comcast remote you are making things much harder on yourselves than it needs to be. A well programmed universal remote such as a Harmony can make running a system soooo much easier for yourself and your families. Go out and buy a Harmony 650. Regular price at Best Buy is $79. They occasionally have them on sale at $69. Last year on Black Friday BBC had the Harmony 650 at $39. I bought 3 of them. A Harmony 650 at $39 is an absolute steal. For that price nobody should be trying to run a full system with a Comcast remote. Your families will love you for it... IMHO

Rick G. from MSP

Contributor
Adent

There's a big difference between power on/off.

When the box is on it maintains a pause buffer for live tv, constantly recording the last 30m-1hr of tv. This involves writing to the hard disk, cleaning up etc.

When its off there's no pause buffer.

This is the way most STBs work and X1 is no different. It's not just about the power draw.

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

Adent wrote:

When the box is on it maintains a pause buffer for live tv, constantly recording the last 30m-1hr of tv. This involves writing to the hard disk, cleaning up etc.

This is the way most STBs work and X1 is no different. It's not just about the power draw.

Agreed but DVR's should be designed to stay on all the time and tolerate that use. Also your statement would not apply to X1 clients. My reason for not turning X1 off is very simple. The boot up time from stand by is unacceptably long. Unless Comcast was able to shorten the boot up time, I would not turn them off from remote control even if I could.

Rick G in MSP

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

Adent wrote:

I don't believe this is correct - if you turn the X1 off from the front panel power button while recording it will continue to record without interruption which would suggest there is a pause buffer.  

This question came up in another thread as a solution to a user who's recordings weren't appearing in his "Recorded" folder timely.  ComcastThomas wrote:

"We are looking into this issue but you are correct, programs are getting recorded but we are missing an update from the back end servers.  Because of this, the recordings don't show up in the list.  Pressing the front panel power button and then back on forces a "reconnect" to the servers and the programs do show up.  A hard power cycle (pulling the power cord from the box) will do this as well but I don't recommend this as it will interrupt any recordings that are in progress."

Thomas' response would suggest that the front panel power button will not interrupt a recording - I've tried this and he is correct.

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

Not that this is related but I recall having my X1 lock up and become unresponsive during a recording. I had to unplug it. The DVR completed the recording without any intervention from me. Obviously I missed a couple minutes of the recording but it did complete in two parts.

Contributor
Adent

Pause buffer = temporary area used to pause/rewind live tv. It is NOT the same as a recording.

Therefore if a recording continues after the box is turned off from the front, that doesn't mean its using a pause buffer. People are confusing the 2, and are confusing what 'off' means.

'Off' here means turned off from front, not unplugged and plugged back in. When you turn it back on, its instant, like waking from standy, there's no reboot. And when the box is off, it will continue to record shows, wake up at scheduled times for a recording, guide update etc.

The difference between 'off' and on -

1. there's no pause buffer maintained. You can test this yourself - turn it off, then back on, and you can't rewind live tv.

2. there's no signal sent over audio/video.

Everything else continues to work in the background.

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

[ Edited ]

Adent,

Thank you for clarifying that -- I appreciate the info.

Take care...

Contributor
Adent

You are welcome!

Another thing Comcast changed - in the old boxes before X1, if you had a recording going on and tried to power off (via remote), you got a warning, with an option to 1) cancel recording and turn it off, or 2) keep it on.

With X1, power off via front panel means a lot less (basically the 2 things I said above). Thus they let you turn it off. I still think its good practice to do so, you don't want the hard disk in the box constantly in use for the pause buffer.

New Visitor
EricLevinson

Same issue here, didn't realize there was a forum message on this topic.  Issue happens on both the DVR box and the terminal boxes as well.

It would have been nice if the technician at Comcast told me this was a known issue and was being taken care of instead of having me go through reboots, reparing, etc process, would have saved me 30 minutes of time.

Eric

New Visitor
stevedatt

Glad I found this thread...  my issue is this...   I have a sound bar that gets the sound via the optical out on the X1.  So when I hit the power off button the TV goes off, but the sound continues through the box to the soundbar.  it would be nice to power down/standby the X1 so that I dont have to worry about the sound bar getting a signal 24/7 and have to turn that on and off separately.  Need to have ease of use in this deal for the wife and having to get up and push buttons to physically turn off the sound bar, or the x1 doesnt really cut it.

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

You will need a programmable 3rd party universal remote to do that. What you are asking is well outside the XR2's capabilities.

stevedatt wrote:

Glad I found this thread...  my issue is this...   I have a sound bar that gets the sound via the optical out on the X1.  So when I hit the power off button the TV goes off, but the sound continues through the box to the soundbar.  it would be nice to power down/standby the X1 so that I dont have to worry about the sound bar getting a signal 24/7 and have to turn that on and off separately.  Need to have ease of use in this deal for the wife and having to get up and push buttons to physically turn off the sound bar, or the x1 doesnt really cut it.

Regular Problem Solver
gotpizza

stevedatt wrote:

If your sound bar is connected to the x1 than how are you adjusting the volume? are you using the sound bar remote for that? If so would the same remote turn off the soundbar ?