Contributor

X1 - 2nd day with the new guide experience.

Two days ago I switched my two perfectly working DCXs for new X1 (both DVR’s) setup and I already developed love/hate affair with the system.

I realized that I am a very light user after reading many comments about X1 and its issues (advanced features/setup etc.), but still found several annoyances that make my want to throw these X1 boxes out the window.

-          I can’t seem to find a way to access a diagnostic/setup menu (does it even exist) where 4:3 override could be setup – out of box 4:3 override is off and many channels will show black bars – I know this is the optimum setup to preserve programming aspect, but I care less about that and more about my longevity of my plasma TV. Also my kids do not care about the aspect and enjoy the programming when it fills in whole screen since their TV is fairly small.

-          Navigating live TV is a misunderstanding – only 3 filters – only 1 set of favorites – I can’t believe that 5-10 years old guide had multiple favorites - I had one set for myself and another for my wife – now this is gone along with tons of preconfigured search filters. How can I filter kids only programming for a given time? Let's say my kids go to bed at 8:30 pm and I want to tune in something for them - on my old box, I would just go to search and kids and only relevant kids programming would be shown - now that is gone. 

-          Browsing on-demand is also a frustrating – filtering is very limited and for example, I can’t seem to find a way to filter all comedy movies on premium channels – my only option is to navigate to each network i.e. HBO, Showtime and scroll through all the selection that includes all genra, or go to the root of Movies and navigate by Genre, select Comedy and then browse through 2200+ titles accross every single network – how crazy is that? Would be nice to have an option to filter by price – or at least Free and Paid and by release year.

I hope that these are way too obvious omissions and they are on the Comcast radar for future software updates.

Thank you

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

Re: X1 - 2nd day with the new guide experience.

Thanks for your post, marcins78. We appreciate your feedback regarding the channel filters, favorites and on demand browsing experience. Your comments will be shared with the product management team. 

re: 4:3 comment - I believe you are referring to the zoom setting. this can be adjusted in the Settings area. ( "Settings > Device Settings > Video Display"). Let us know if this is not what you are looking for.

re: filter comment - At this time, there is no "kids" filter available 

Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for the information regarding 4:3. I quickly tested it and it appears to be what i was looking form which is great relief As it saves me from constantly adjusting the aspect.

regarding the filters and in particular kids filter, any eta when this feature will be implemented?

Thank you

Marcin

Bronze Star Contributor
bradbortner

I'm actually liking the new X1 for the most part. The unified search is really nice, as is the GUI.I also like not having to plug another internet feed into it, as I did with my old Tivo. The RF remote is also really nice.  Some areas for improvement, however::

1. No easy way to set up favorites at a top level
  2. No input key on remote, so I have to grab another remote to say play Wii U with my kids
  3. The fans run constantly, and there is now way to find its actual run and rest energy consumption. If I run the math based on the max 15v 4.3 amps on the bottom label, I get a hair raising 65 watts. I hope its not pulling that much 24/7. That would be amazingly bad in this day and age. I'm buying a killowatt and will post my findings later.
  4. The "last 9" function occassionally goes crazy and shows a blank. Rebooting the box fixes the issue, but kind of annoying.

Still, all in all I like the box. I'm sure most of the above will be fixed with firmware updates, but I really find myself disliking the fan noise and the likely higher energy bill I"ll be facing.

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

marcins78 - Unfortunately, I dont have a definitive answer when a Kids filter will be implemented on the X1 platform. We do, in the interim, have extensive parental control options in the Settings menu. 

Thanks!
comcastkarat

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

thank you bradbortner, for your feedback. I've shared your comments with the product management team. 

Re: Last 9 - when you see "blank" - are all 9 tiles blank, or just select ones? Sometimes certain programs do not have poster art available for us to use, so there are some cases where blank posters will appear. 

Thanks!
comcastkarat

Bronze Star Contributor
bradbortner

with the last 9, what happens is that it works fine, and then (during the same watching session), all the last go blank. No empty slots, just empty. If I reboot the device, all is fine. Sometimes, if i let it go overnight, its fine in the morning. Unforutnately, an intermittent problem....

By the way, I just tested energy usage of this box with a killowatt meter. It uses about 30 watts, on or off. Kind of amazing no one has figured out an energy saving mode for these types of boxes yet.

Regular Contributor

IMO, Comcast should have started with the abilities and features of the old box.. Then modified and advanced from there.

The way the X1 has turned out, it feels like you're trying to reinvent the wheel. It's like you guys started with nothing and are rediscovering features one by one.

At this it'll be 2018 before it gets to the level the other boxes were at in terms of usability in 2010!

What were you thinking?!?