Contributor
cw122

X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

hey so my issue is that ill go to watch a recording and find out that my x1 dvr deleted it and i have no idea where it went or how to get it back. it deletes at least 3 or 4 of my recordings and i dont know why. also it doesnt show up on the usage meter either. the options are set to save until i delete and the meter is at 75% so if anyone else has this issue and knows how to fix it it would greatly help me thanks. p.s if anyone has any ideas as to why this is happening and how to make it stop i would greatly appreciate it thanks :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
crp55

Re: X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

My X1 also deletes my recordings without my permission. I've had it for several months now and I think it deletes my older recordings without asking or telling me. I just noticed that I'm missing recordings, all of them recorded months ago. So I manually changed saved settings to save recordings until I delete. A pain to do, but hopefully it corrects this.

Can anyone confirm this auto-deleting and if so maybe explain how to fix this? Thanks

New Visitor
jgriff127

I have this same issue.  I discovered it about a month ago and went in and marked some movies that I recorded and wanted to keep to not delete until I say so (rather than "when space is needed")... well sunavabeech I just lost one of my favorite movies!!  I am so frustrated.  On hold waiting to speak with technical support.  I'm certain they will not be able to "fix it" ... but I at least need to be sure this on their radar.

If any employees / mods monitor these threads, it would be nice to be able to see a "known issues list" that we can add to or monitor to see when things have been resolved.  I see so many issues with this X1 platform, but don't have the patience to be on hold for an hour waiting to report them.  HELP US HELP YOU fix this carp!

New Visitor

I have the same issue.  Extremely frustrating. 

Regular Contributor
adam_WM

Yup, same thing with me. Deleting older recordings... It appears anything beyond 30 days?

Regular Contributor

As I had mentioned in another message thread, I have experienced the automatic deletion of certain types of content, newer movies and current season tv episodes.  After 6 weeks or more, the 3 Matrix movies disppeared unwatched, and all but the last 3 current season episodes of Suits disappeared unwatched.

However, childrens' shows and long syndicated tv episodes have remained for months watched or unwatched.  For example Criminal Intent, Peppa Pig, Word Word never go away.

What types of shows are you losing? I am unsure that this is a "bug" to be fixed, but rather may be a "feature" of X1.  Is anyone from Comcast available to respond?

New Visitor

It does appear to depend on content - I've had childrens' shows last for several months, then disappear.  However, newer things that are "on demand" or could be coming to "on demand" seem to disappear in short order (2-4 weeks).

This is annoying but seems to go along with the general instability of the X1 platform.

Bronze Star Contributor
RobertCoplin

I have had this problem for quite a while as on Monday morning i have had 6 episodes of Haven dissapear at the same time plus a movie and that was the latest time this happened plus i had plenty of other shows disappear in the past.One time i had over 30 shows reappear at the same time that the X1 deleted on its own as my percent full went from 39% to 55% at one time.

Regular Contributor
baabamall

I've had this problem as well. I, too think it is related to the content, as the items that disappeared were sporting events and older content (masterpiece) were retained.

In this case, losing the recordings was no big deal. Still, it would be good to get a warning that a recording will be deleted.

Bronze Star Contributor
RobertCoplin

The shows that are dissappearing are not being deleted but are just not being listed on your X1 for some reason but may show up again in the future as i was just looking again at a topic that i started in 10-3-2013 called Deleted Shows Reappear.

Bronze Star Contributor
RobertCoplin

Comcast Cable has come out with a patch today that seems to have worked as i restarted my X1 and a whole lot of shows that were missing reappeared today.

Contributor
thejuice1254

How do I get deleted shows back?
How do I reboot?
If I look In deleted shows on my dvr will I find them and can I put them
Back on my list of saved shows to watch?
Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

thejuice1254 wrote:
How do I get deleted shows back?
How do I reboot?
If I look In deleted shows on my dvr will I find them and can I put them
Back on my list of saved shows to watch?

Unplug your DVR for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

Regular Contributor
Mike150

I unplugged my X1 from it's power source for about 10 seconds and plugged it back in. After it came back live I checked my saved rercordings and 14 movies that I had recorded in August/September and had dissappeared two weeks ago suddenly returned.
Regular Contributor

An update to my earlier post.  My recording from August 16 forward have reappeared.  I am pleased with the response from ComcastThomas and his carrying the ball from our foruns to the development team.  I am still missing July recorings, but if this is fixed I am satisfied.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

Regular Contributor

I also just noticed the first 2 or 3 episodes of new fall tv shows I recorded have vanished from my X1 dvr!

Plenty of space. Set to, When I delete. I also noticed that they are not available On Demand or on line. Even at the the major networks web sites. It seems as though the networks are controlling things now.

Oh, but I can purchase those episodes. Isnt that funny?

New Visitor
PaulaHall19

I am having this same issue. Very frustrating. I have updated my DVR, I have unplugged my DVR from the power source for a reset and my shows are still gone! My deleted folder keeps losing shows too! Did the patch from Comcast not work for anyone else or just me?
Contributor
cw122

yeah im having the same problem i've tried all that stuff and still it doesnt work i dont know what to do anymore
everyone's saying to unplug it for 30 sec and plug it back in and it'll work but it hasn't for me so i have no idea what to do so if anyone comes
across a working solution please post it here. Thanks:smileyhappy:
Contributor
Evilive69

I have been having the issue Since Oct 24 and none of the firmware updates or patches has fixed it.  The reason why...Comcast does not think that this is an issue.  I have made over 40 phone calls and gotten 30 some different stories about the problem, and they all end with me being the only to have this issue.  That was until 2 Comcast techs came to look at it...according to them it is a well known and documented issue.  One of the techs has the exact same problem at his house.  They have been instructed to tell customers that there is no fix and no ETA as to when it will be available...if ever.  They told me to hold out until January when X2 is released.

New Visitor
Bostob

[ Edited ]
Just happened again to bowl week programs...how hard can it be to at least post a "days remaining" so you know paying customers are at least notified. Must be very very difficult.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

At some point about 2 months ago, I had 187 programs recorded. The next morning, 70+ recordings were gone.  They weren't moved to the Deleted section.  THEY WERE GONE.  They have never come back.  I continue to occassionaly lose recordings. I always set the save option to "I Delete".

I am currently at 53 recordings and 52% full.

I am randomly getting notices that I have too many recordings.  It says I'm 100% full.  If anything is recording when this happens, it stops recording and completely deletes the program.  I don't even get to see a partial.  I either have to delete something or reboot the box.

No one is able to fix this.

Another annoying problem is the box is randomly giving notices that it needs to reboot. No explanation.  This usually happens about 3a-4a.

I don't think X1 should ever have been released.  I don't remember signing up to be an unpaid beta tester...

Official Employee

187? Really? There's only 500 GB of space

The boxes do updates between 2am and 5 am
Bronze Star Contributor
RobertCoplin

Its quite possible to have 187 recordings if none are HD programs as right now i have 147 programs and its 74% full now and that includes 9 football games,1 3 hour wrestling program,3 2 hour wrestling programs,5 college basketball games,22 2 hour movies and most of the rest of them are 1 hour programs except for 3 half hour programs all in SD.If i tried to record all of the shows in HD TV i would have gone way over 100% full.

Contributor

I still have this problem.  It seems it has stopped deleting old programs.  But, it still won't let me have more than about 50 recordings or about 50% full.  Also, I get notices saying I need to delete recordings because it's 100% full.  I look at the list. It either says it's 100% full, or is only about 50%. When I get these notices, the X1 will stop recording or delete what it was recording.

I'm told a strong reset signal could be sent that might solve the problem. It would also most likely wipe out all the recordings.  Or, I could take it in and swap it for a new one.  Our local Comcast location no longer takes outside calls.  So, I can't check ahead to see if they have a unit to swap. 

And, there doesn't seem to be any help here....

Official Employee

In another thread someone suggeted because of so many scheduled recordings the DVR is thinking it needs to make space to fit the new recordings. Whether that is a fact or not I have no idea. I would try the initialization first, if you lose your recordings you lose your recordings. The service centers don't swap out x1 boxes a tech has to come out and do it and you will lose your recordings. So either way....
Contributor

Interesting idea.  I'll have to test it.

New Visitor
astute1

I was very disappointed to see my recordings disappear and I am looking for an explanation...the old Comcast NEVER did this.  X1 is painful to use.  My son is in college and I tape our shows to watch when he comes home on break....since we have this "X1"...no joy...not all the recordings.  I'm pretty mad.  I would prefer my old Comcast back.

New Visitor
astute1

Just a side note...ComcastAndrew...not really a customer friendly employee...I don't see where you offer solutions.

Official Employee

Sorry you feel that way, the only reason I didn't offer a solution was I didn't have one. Hopefully your x1 works out for you.
Visitor

This problem just happened to me starting yesterday (4/13/2014).  My X1 was 75% full yesterday morning, and now a little over a day later, it is only 25% full.  I had the entire season of CSI and Grey's Anatomy saved (about 15 shows of each), and now there are only 2 CSI and 3 Grey's left; they are the latest episodes.  There are other missing shows as well.  Re-initializing did not work for me.  There are a few of the shows available OnDemand, but not the entire season of either CSI or Grey's. 

I've had the X1 for about 6 months now, and in general, I have liked it.  There are lots of little things I don't care for, but mostly it has been an improvement over the old Comcast DVR.  But this problem makes me not trust the X1 box. 

Please, Comcast, listen to these forums and fix this problem.

New Visitor
tbirdsong

We have 2 X1 boxes that every week as of late decides to dump all (regardless of the recording date) of our recordings into the deleted folder. Does anyone know what would be causing this?

And before you say it, yes I am aware that I can just restore the recordings but it is getting frustrating!!  

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

@ComcastAndrew

Could it be that recorded series are removed simply because the series is available on demand?

Personally, I don't see any reason to record series when each episode is available on demand the next day.  The only slight advantage is that you can skip over ads.

Official Employee

Could be but I haven't seen it myself, I still have CSI and SVU from last week on my DVR.
Another theory I'll throw out there is I you don't have a POE filter at your ground block outside, theoretically it's possible for your recordings to bleed out to a neighbor who has the same service. So it's possible that neighbor can see your recordings and go " I didn't record those and start deleting". Just a theory
Official Employee
ComcastThomas

Mudvilleman and tbirdsong - I just sent each of you a personal message if you wouldn't mind responding.  

ComcastThomas

Contributor
Vortexx

Same issue here.  Older shows just randomly deleting.  Says only 80% of dvr space is used.  Every week a few older shows disappear.   Really annoying.

New Visitor
Herbcules

I have the same thing happening to me.  It seemed to happen more when I was over 70% so I made an effort to stay below 70%.  Since Monday I have lost about 12 hours of shows and I was only at 61%.  It's very annoying when you have been saving stuff to watch and it just disappears.  The thing that doesn't make since is that I have about 16 shows in the recently deleted folder.  Wouldn't you think those would go away first if the dvr needed to make space.  Total fail Comcast!

New Visitor
charlie2012

Good Morning:

Yesterday all of my recordings that were recorded before the first of April were just gone. These were recordings that I was saving because I liked them and wanted to save. Why

Official Employee
ComcastThomas

Looks like we have a trending issue.  I sent a private message to the last three posters to try and gather some addition info.  Thanks in advance for replying.

ComcastThomas

New Visitor

I too am having this problem.  I recorded the season opener of Mad Men Sunday evening and now it's gone.  Tonight I recorded Survivor, I see that it's there, go to play it and it's blank.  I played something else from the DVR, then went back to play Survivor and it was gone.  None of these shows are in the Recently Deleted area either.  Arghhh...  This is as good as not having a DVR.  You can't count on the show being there later.

New Visitor
New Visitor

The X1 disappearing DVR problem has reoccurred here in Houston as well. I haven't determined a rhyme or reason to the problem. Missing recordings are not in the deleted folder. I would appreciate a notice if a fix is found. By the way, a reboot doesn't fix the missing DVR recordings.

Regular Contributor

Yes my recordings are also being deleted again in Bucks County PA area.
So much for the fix they supposedly did earlier this year and corporate apologizing.
Gone from on demand too and on Internet.
New Visitor
Cenpant

After just updating my service 2 days ago when the message popped up on my screen, a couple episodes from a couple different series as well as 5 of my movies have been deleted. I have plenty of space on my dvr so there is no reason for them to just drop.

My question is are these shows being deleted because they have been on my DVR for over 2 months? Also the couple episodes that were lost have also not on demand anymore either, could that be why they were deleted?
Official Employee
ComcastThomas

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.  I think the engineers have identified what is going on here and we hope to get a fix out soon.  Thanks for all of the help in getting to the bottom of the problem and I am sorry that there was a problem all.

ComcastThomas

Regular Contributor

How are we getting our programs back?
Its pretty ridiculous.
New Visitor
MNCableDude

I have been having the same issue starting earlier this week, I am aware there is an issue and a fix is in the works; but are we going to get our recordings back?
Regular Contributor

After many months without issue, the deletion has started again.  I have had 67 episodes of a show saved going back to September 2013.  A few days ago, it became 65, then 53, and now 60.  The only episode prior to December 2013 is one that I had marked to keep until "I delete" (a feature available on the web's DVR Manager).

Is this a new feature?

Contributor

X1 is so unstable and unreliable that I can't believe that comcast implemented it. And ours can and does update at any time day or night. No one has been able to correct the issues we have or offer any assurance that it will improve. Shows disappear, don't record when scheduled,  freeze while playing, just to list a few of the problems. The experience has been disappointing to say the least. 

New Visitor
MNCableDude

My deleted folder had over 70 recordings in it, dating back to the 8th of April, I removed all of the deleted items, now I wonder if any more recordings will disappear. None of the shows that have disappeared were in the deleted folder. I have lost so many episodes of my favorite shows that it is not even worth watching the episodes that are left, and most of them aren't available on the OnDemand anymore.
Regular Contributor

Corporate called me today and issued me a credit abd an apology. Said its due to the move to the cloud.
But there goes my lost shows and no guarantee of stability as its a work in progress it seems.
Still only 500gb of cloud storage which is terrible.
At least they are responding.
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.  I just realized I lost about a dozen shows.  I have not really seen that there  is a solution yet, other than rebooting. I'm going to try that now but that doesn't seem to work in all cases. If Comcast comes up with a fix, please let me know. Thank You.