Contributor
cs27

X1 Issues & STB Noise!

I've been a Comcast customer for over 10 years and I have to say that I'm disgusted by the performance of the X1 STB which I've been using for a little over a month now.

Let me begin by stating my biggest issue with the X1 STB and why there is no way I will be keeping it in the long term. I have my X1 in my bedroom. I have 4 total Comcast STB's in my home however the X1 resides in my bedroom because that is where I prefer to watch my DVR content, usually before bed. I previously had a Comcast Motorola HD DVR in my bedroom for several years. I decided to upgrade to the X1 once I switched over to the Triple Play package. The larger HDD space was very alluring. 

Now, for my biggest issue. The noise that emits from the X1. This noise is most likely the fan. Or perhaps the HDD. Regardless it is simply loud and distracting. I went to my local Comcast location for another matter and put my ear to their X1 box in the lobby. It emits the same noise, so I'm certain that my X1 does not have an issue. This is simply the sound that comes from the box. My previous HD DVR along with all the current STB's in my home are dead silent. Someone in another forum suggested I unplug the box at night and plug it back in in the morning and I'm doing just that, but I don't want to do this every day. 

My hope is to upgrade to the X2 STB when it becomes available in my area. I'm hoping it will not have this same issue regarding noise. I've already read in several threads in this forum that other Comcast customers are really unhappy with the noise coming from their X1 STB's. This is an amazing oversight in my opinion by the team that created the X1. 

Now, here are the bugs I have with my X1. Yes, I am running the latest software. 

- Recording light never turns on in the appropriate times during recordings and always stays on long after the recording has finished. 

- Deleting a program isn't always immediately recognized. Sometimes it will take several minutes for the deletion to appear.

- There is no setting to prevent the same show from recording if it airs on another program. I set my DVR to record SNL, new episodes, and it will always record re-runs aired on VH1.

- Overall delays/lag when operating throughout menus. This is always happening but enough where it's frustrating. 

Let's also discuss the issues I have with the remote/operations. 

- Required to hit 'ok' after entering in a channel. This drives me nuts. No option to disable this. 

- Must hit 'ok' after hitting the 'last' button each time. Ditto, this drives me nuts. 

- You see a flash of the channel logo before it appears. 

- Poor placement of many buttons. I find myself often looking down, which is troublesome at night. I know a backlit remote exits but I'm not keeping my X1 down the road and I don't want to give Comcast more of my money. 

The X1 has it's positive elements. I love the modern look of the menus. The larger HDD. But that's really it. There are way more negatives than positives at this point. I was warned by most the Comcast phone rep and technician who installed the X1 that it is very much an unpolished experience at this point. However this goes beyond that. I feel like a beta tester of something that will eventually hit the market. I'm planning on calling Comcast to have my installation fee waived and perhaps see if some credit can come my way. (I also needed to have a rep resend a signal because no on-demand program was working for me initially.) 

I would greatly appreciate some feedback from a Comcast employee that works on this forum. Thank you very much.

Bronze Problem Solver
BellevueBob

Re: X1 Issues & STB Noise!

[ Edited ]

I'm not a Comcast employee, but I have a few comments.  Because you listed so many different issues, I bet it will be hard for someone to answer them all.  If you don't get the help you you need from this post, consider makeing a new separate post for each question (if you really have a question).  Anyway:

• X1 box noise - I personally do not have this problem.  I watch from about 8 feet from where my box is installed, and when I mute the TV, I hear nothing. So if your box is really making a loud noise, you should return it.  If you went to the cable store and had to put your ear on the box to hear the noise, that doesn't seem very loud to me.  In any case, I do not think it's a good idea to unplug the box at night.
  • I'm pretty sure that there is not going to be a new "X2 STB"; from what I understand, what people are calling X2 is going to be a software update.  Most of what I hear about X2 is rumor.  If Comcast has made any official announcement about what is in the update (or even acknowlege the name "X2"), I have not seen it.
  • When you schedule a "series recording", you have the option to record "Only New Episodes" and "This Channel, Any Time".  If you are saying that using both settings it still records the duplicate broadcasts of the same episode, that indeed sounds like a bug and deserves a separate post for help.  I can say that the feature works for me; I record The Walking Dead this way and only the new episode is recorded once a week.

I agree with many of your other points, especially about the rather sluggish response with the remote and having to "click" more than one button to do one thing and the poor key layout and (for me) the size and shape of the buttons.  My fat fingers are always pressing more than one button and must look at the remote to be sure I'm pressing the button I want.

Hope this helps, but remember that this is really a customer-to-customer discussion forum.  To get direct help you need to plug into the Comcast support people.

Bronze Star Contributor
RobertCoplin

I am going to contribute my 2 cents to this conversation

1.I have never heard a noise coming out of my X1 cable box

2.95% of the time any delay from the remote to the X1 happens now at the top of the hour or at the botttom of the hour say at 9:30 and that happens for between 10 and 15 seconds at the most but it was a lot worse when i got my X1 back in July.

3.Now for the X2 i am hearing conflicting stories one of which is it will be a major software upgrade and the other is that the X2 is a new smaller cable box that has more functions then the X1 and the X2 is suppose to come out around the same time as the 2014 Winter Olympics.I really dont think the Comcast technicians i talked to really know much about the X2.

Contributor
cs27

[ Edited ]

I need to clarity what I mean when I say 'noise'. The sound is an operational one. It is similar to that of a video game console while it is running. The sound emitting from my X1 is clearly either the fan or the HDD. My guess is that it is the fan. I also do not believe this sound is a sign of any issue within my X1. Like I said in my initial post, the exact same sound was coming from the X1 at my local Comcast location. 

To Bob saying that the sound must not be loud if I had to put my ear to the X1 at said location. I had to do so because the television was on at this location and there were people inside conducting business. (Dealing with customers, etc.) This noise that I speak of essentially fades into the background if you are watching a program or have people in the room, etc. However in my bedroom it is dead quiet while I am sleeping or getting ready for work, etc. So the sound is much more obvious in these situations. If I had my X1 in my living room it would probably be a non-issue but I am not going to move said box for this reason. I prefer to have it in my bedroom and my last STB in my bedroom was dead silent. I'm also younger (early 30's) so there is a chance that my hearing will pick up on this sound more so than someone who is say in their 50's or older. 

But mark my words, the X1 does emit an operational noise. You may not hear it, but it's there. And I've come across this sentiment on other posts with this forum. 

The X2 was announced this past summer as a separate STB. You can watch the keynote on YouTube on Comcast's official page. I have linked it below along with a news item regarding this STB. It's a smaller STB with no internal HDD that stores all your recordings in the cloud. Whether it has a fan or not I do not know. The X2 will be available as both a separate STB or a software update to the X1 STB. Obviously with the X1 STB  you will retain the hardware of said box however you will gain the UI of the X2 along with potentially the option to record in the cloud. That part I'm not so sure about. When announced this past summer the X2 was expected to hit the market by the end of 2013 however I've read recently that Comcast is gearing up to promote the X2 heavily during the upcoming winter olympics, so perhaps we will not see it in homes until then or perhaps even next spring. 

My plan, for now, is to hold onto the X1 and simply switch it out for the X2 when it becomes available in my area. I am forced to unplug the X1 every night from the power source because the noise really does bother me that much. 

It's a shame that this forum appears to be a place for Comcast customers to discuss things rather than a source to contact Comcast employees. In my 10+ years as a Comcast customer I have to say that the X1 is the first time that I've seen this company truly fail me. It's clear that the X1 is not ready for prime time just yet. 

X2 Comcast keynote. 

X2 News item.

Bronze Problem Solver
BellevueBob

cs27 wrote:

I need to clarity what I mean when I say 'noise'. The sound is an operational one. It is similar to that of a video game console while it is running. The sound emitting from my X1 is clearly either the fan or the HDD. My guess is that it is the fan. I also do not believe this sound is a sign of any issue within my X1. Like I said in my initial post, the exact same sound was coming from the X1 at my local Comcast location. 

Thanks for the links; reading the article and watching the video makes things a bit clearer to  me.  However, there is still a bit of ambiguity about X2.  I understand it to be a software upgrade that will be done on for the existing X1 boxes (which have the built-in DVRs).  The XI3 box seems to be a completely new box, where recorded content is stored "in the cloud"  The video also shows a new voice-activated remote, but it's not clear to me that it would work with both the new and "old" boxes.  This I'd like to know more about before purchasing that new XR5 back-lit remote (a feature I'd find very useful).

If you hang in there and wait for this new XI3 box, I'd think the absence of any DVR hardward would make it significantly quieter.  However, concerning you existing box, if I mute my TV and put MY ear next to the X1 box, the noise it barely noticable.  My refrigerator is much louder.  But my box is sitting by itself in a media center.  Perhaps yours is contacting something and causing a vibration.  Try moving the box to another part of the room, or reposition it where it is, making sure it's not pushed against the wall.  Again, if you still think its too loud, I'd go back to the Comcast store and listen again, but mute the TV there as well.  If you hear a difference, you really might have a bad box.

Regarding these forums:  I agree, I first came here two weeks ago after accepting an offer for the new X1 during a toubleshooting call with my old box.  I was also under the impression that Comcast technical people actively worked these forums, but that appears not to be the case.  To "engage" Comcast support, you must use the "chat" tool or call their support line.  I really, really wish they had a way to work on problems by email, because describing problems by voice or chat is really hard.  Plus, when problems re-occur (as they often do), you have to start all over fromm scratch,

Now that I've used it a while, I really don't mind the "customer-to-customer" nature of these forums.  It's to bad Comast does not emphasize that point more clearly when you sign up.  If you can ignore all the trolling nonsense, you can really benefit from the experience of others.  There really are some very helpful people here.

Contributor
cs27

[ Edited ]

I think there is value in having a forum where Comcast customers can help each other out. At the same time it would be much more beneficial if we had direct contact with Comcast employees on here. To be honest I was browsing the forum before I joined and it appeared that it was very possible to get in touch with a Comcast rep on here. But perhaps that isn't the case. It appears they have the power as to who they want to respond to with regard to forum members. 

I can of course call Comcast and see where that leads me. I don't think there really is much they can do now. The X1 is installed and I believe it's performance is exactly as should be expected. The sound I am hearing is identical to what I heard at my local Comcast location. It's an operational noise. My guess is the fan operates 24/7 seeing that the X1 does not technically ever shut off. But this noise is very noticiable during quiet moments in my bedroom. Unlike my previous Motorola HD DVR or the other STB's from Comcast in my room, which I would label as dead quiet. I've even read posts on this forum where customers said they had Comcast replace their X1 box with a new one and the noise remains. I truly believe it is just a function of the box itself and the customer will decide if it bothers them or not. As I said before if I had the X1 in my living room it would be a non issue but again I'm not moving my DVR of choice out of the bedroom. And no, the issue is not due to the placement of the X1 in my bedroom. 

I am essentially banking on the potential fact that the X2 will be dead silent as it does not have an HDD from what I gather. Perhaps it too will have a fan but I'll see for myself when and if the time comes. The X2 is both a software update to current X1 box's and a completely different STB in itself. These are certain facts. The roll out of the X2 will either happen at the end of this year or sometime early next. 

I could return the X1 and get my Motorola HD DVR back but I'm going to stick it out with the X1 and simply unplug it every night until I can get my hands on the X2.

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

[ Edited ]

CS27,

Just as I did when I first joined this forum, I think you are overthinking things a little. I have heard the fan running on my X1 but only when there seems to be some other issue going on. Last Thursday morning when I received the xcl-88 error message for a couple hours I could hear the fan running. Previous to that there was a "national outage issue" and when that was happening I could hear the fan running. When I was having problems with outbound signal issues I could hear the fan running. Once I solved my outbound signal problems the fan shut off. I am suggesting you have another issue going on and your X1 is in some sort of protection mode and is activating the fan. I would suggest you set up a service visit and have your signal levels checked. I think you will find there is something not right and your X1 is protecting itself. I also believe that if your signal levels aren't improved your X1 issues and bugs will escalate just as mine did until I solved the outbound signal issues.

RG in MSP

PS. I was told by a very good source that X2 is a software/firmware update but not new hardware.

Contributor
cs27

I would be happy to have a tech look at my X1 just to confirm if my noise is normal or not. However they will most likely charge me for said visit. Perhaps I'll call and ask if I can have someone swing by for free. Not sure if that's even an option. I'm still pretty certain that my X1's noise is normal. I heard the same thing at my local Comcast location. 

The X2 is a STB in addition to a software update for X1 owners. I've already linked the keynote in this thread. The only way the X2 will not be a STB is if Comcast scrapes it's original plan for the X2. I don't see that happening. 

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

[ Edited ]

I sit roughly 7-8 feet from my X1 DVR. It is SILENT unless there is an outside issue going on. The only time I have heard the fan is when an outside issue/problem is taking place. cs27 I have read a some of your posts here and you sound like you are upset by this. I truly believe a service visit is needed to resolve your issues and I would never let the specter of a service charge stop me. Have a tech out, get the problem solved and get yourself in a good place. Then call Comcast and complain if you need to have charges removed. Since I got X1 a month ago, I have had charges removed from my bill twice. Once because I called and complained, the other time was simply a courtesy credit from Comcast and I didn't even request it.

Sometimes you need to play along with the man in order to beat the man in the long run... X1 has it's issues but it's improving rapidly. I like mine and am willing to pay a small price to be an early adopter.

cs27 wrote:

I would be happy to have a tech look at my X1 just to confirm if my noise is normal or not. However they will most likely charge me for said visit. Perhaps I'll call and ask if I can have someone swing by for free. Not sure if that's even an option. I'm still pretty certain that my X1's noise is normal. I heard the same thing at my local Comcast location. 

The X2 is a STB in addition to a software update for X1 owners. I've already linked the keynote in this thread. The only way the X2 will not be a STB is if Comcast scrapes it's original plan for the X2. I don't see that happening.

Contributor

I just got an X-1 box on Saturday and here's how it sounds from ten feet away:

http://soundcloud.com/user88916468/monday-04-13-pm

First impressions — definitely not good. I have to unplug it in order for it not to sound like a diesel truck is in my living room.

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

Does this mean you thoroughly read this thread because your answers are contained within this thread...

0000000001 wrote:

I just got an X-1 box on Saturday and here's how it sounds from ten feet away:

http://soundcloud.com/user88916468/monday-04-13-pm

First impressions — definitely not good. I have to unplug it in order for it not to sound like a diesel truck is in my living room.

Contributor

I wasn't asking a question — thanks though.

Contributor

I took a closer look at the box that was provided by comcast, and lo and behold I discovered that my box came with about 3 inches of caked dirt, dust and grime throughout the inside of it. No wonder it sounds likes it's about to explode — the fans can't even turn properly with the amount of filth layered on the blades. Apparently there is no such thing as maintenance or checking equipment over before releasing it to the customer.

This box is so disgusting inside that it's going to more than a comcast technician to resolve this. Just one more bad experience to add to list of many others — no surprise there!

Recognized Contributor
RobertWy

0000000001 wrote:

I took a closer look at the box that was provided by comcast, and lo and behold I discovered that my box came with about 3 inches of caked dirt, dust and grime throughout the inside of it. No wonder it sounds likes it's about to explode — the fans can't even turn properly with the amount of filth layered on the blades. Apparently there is no such thing as maintenance or checking equipment over before releasing it to the customer.

This box is so disgusting inside that it's going to more than a comcast technician to resolve this. Just one more bad experience to add to list of many others — no surprise there!

If I got one that bad, I would have Comcast replace it at no charge to me.

Regular Problem Solver

And they will do it if you just call!