Regular Contributor
Dillinger

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Kara, okay, so, the inability to turn off the cable box via remote is a feature and not a bug... And the workaround is to simply get up and turn the cable box off manually if I actually wish to turn it off. My preference is to allow the remote to turn off the cable box. I understand how the power all function works. If the development team is going to make this option as an enhancement, how include it in the set top options and let the use decide.
Bronze Star Contributor
HD-Tech

ComcastKaraT wrote:

rbcarns wrote:

I have the same problem which started about the same time.  I have 3 X1 boxes but only one has the DVR.  No issues with the 2 non-DVR boxes at this time but the DVR box acts just as HD-Tech described.  Thought is might require re-pairing but that didn't change anything. 

HD-Tech wrote:

My latest issue... 

Whatever update was pushed this week has cause my boxes not to be able to turn off from the remote.  Both of my DVR boxes do this.

Well maybe I should say that the green light stays on.  Veterans of these threads will remember that these boxes dont really turn off... Same power profile, same fan noise, audio out is still active when its "off."  Just video out and the green light are all the only changes when its "off"

Seriously, where is the quality control from these software updates??  I really hope there are people in the engineering group or in the management of those teams that are losing their jobs over the execution of X1.  I work in tech and these results would not fly at all.

The XR2 remote, used with the X1 Platform, is designed to get your TV and set top box powered on in sync.  The remote's set top standby functionality has been been disabled to keep the power functionality as simple as possible – just press "all power" when you want to watch TV and your devices all turn on – no more turning your TV on while making your set top turn off by mistake.  At the end of your session if you want the power light off you still can still do this by pressing the power button on the front of the box.  

Wow, just wow!!  Comcast has decided I am not smart enough to handle the remote.  A new LOW in the "X1 experience."

Recognized Contributor
RobertWy

Re: X1 Fan is LOUD, any way to turn it off?

HD-Tech wrote:

reggiedavid wrote:

a few months ago, you stated.....Our product management team is currently looking into ways to reduce energy consumption and noise levels.  Well it is now June 2013 and the noise level is still unbearable for a bedroom unit.

I think we should start to get the hint.  When the report is that they are looking into it, we should read between the lines as "No."  I havent seen one thing that wasnt a pure bug actually addressed.

On the brightside, the box stays on like it always has and at least now the power LED is matching the box behavior! :smileyhappy:

Concerning the STB power light, I wish a techie among us would check the power usage at the wall outlet and let us know if it makes any difference to turn off the box.

One thing I haven't seen mentiioned, is if you have an X1 DVR, if you have a recording set for some time after you go to bed and you have turned off the DVR, the DVR has to turn itself on to record that late program and it doesn't turn itself off when the recording is finished. 

It doesn't seem necessary to turn off the DVR to me.  I don't always know when a recording is going to start after I've turned it off, including during the day when I've gone somewhere and just automatically turn the DVR and TV off before I leave.

Bronze Star Contributor
HD-Tech

[ Edited ]

RobertWy wrote:

HD-Tech wrote:

reggiedavid wrote:

a few months ago, you stated.....Our product management team is currently looking into ways to reduce energy consumption and noise levels.  Well it is now June 2013 and the noise level is still unbearable for a bedroom unit.

I think we should start to get the hint.  When the report is that they are looking into it, we should read between the lines as "No."  I havent seen one thing that wasnt a pure bug actually addressed.

On the brightside, the box stays on like it always has and at least now the power LED is matching the box behavior! :smileyhappy:

Concerning the STB power light, I wish a techie among us would check the power usage at the wall outlet and let us know if it makes any difference to turn off the box.

One thing I haven't seen mentiioned, is if you have an X1 DVR, if you have a recording set for some time after you go to bed and you have turned off the DVR, the DVR has to turn itself on to record that late program and it doesn't turn itself off when the recording is finished. 

It doesn't seem necessary to turn off the DVR to me.  I don't always know when a recording is going to start after I've turned it off, including during the day when I've gone somewhere and just automatically turn the DVR and TV off before I leave.

Its been done by myself and at least one other that I remember from the original closed "X1 Forum" thread.  I used my Kill-A-Watt tool and there is absolutely no change in power profile.

With the rest of your point, I dont get what you mean.  Yes, the box needs to be able to awake to record things.  It should also be allowed to wake to do things like maintanence.  But it can handle these things without issue, and should know that if it needs to be awake for 30min overnight, it wake for that short period of time and be off for the remaining many hours.   I would think that over the course of the year, especially with multiple boxes, you could easily hit >$100 of extra electricity. 

The point is the old box could handle all this without issue.  Surely the X1 is capable of doing it.  Why Comcast chooses not to is another issue.  As I mentioned previously, only outright bugs have been addressed in X1.  Not a single feature has been added that the customers have really pushed for.

Bronze Star Contributor
bradbortner

I have, and posted my results, using a killowatt a couple of months ago. The X1 box uses about 30-35 watts, whether it is off or on.

New Visitor
RRehman

hmm last night my remote the "x2" quit turning the box on and off it operates all the other functions.. I changed the batteries today but still have same issue.. Should I try to pair them again? If so how...

Regular Contributor
LostAlias

When will the x1 be available to exisiting customers? I am told only new customers can get it

Regular Contributor

That's not accurate. Existing customers can get the X1, you just need the Triple Play bundle.
Regular Contributor
LostAlias

Please tell that to Comcast every single time i have called in I am told no I cannot upgrade to the box. I have HD Premier Bundle Xf :manlol:

Regular Contributor

What area are you in and who are you calling?
Regular Contributor
LostAlias

Southern NH ,  called number on my bill , is there a magic number. tried going both the billing people route as well as the sales side 

Regular Contributor

No magic number that I know of :smileywink:

I'd try 1-800-COMCAST or (877) 896-8678.

Good luck.

They list:
"The X1 Platform is currently available to customers in areas of Atlanta; Augusta, Ga.; Chattanooga, Tenn.; Greater Boston; Philadelphia; New Jersey; Washington D.C.; Independence, Mo.; Colorado Springs, Colo., and the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, Fresno, Stockton and Santa Barbara, Calif. More major markets will be launched soon."
Although its been available in Houston for at least a month.

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/x1-platform-expands-now-available-in-10-markets
Bronze Star Contributor
HD-Tech

RRehman wrote:

hmm last night my remote the "x2" quit turning the box on and off it operates all the other functions.. I changed the batteries today but still have same issue.. Should I try to pair them again? If so how...

Oh, you didnt hear?  Its a new "feature"

Contributor
frankb3

FYI, "turning off the box" using the remote does not stop the box from recording scheduled programs.  

When I first got Comcast X1 installed on  5/31 my remote did turn off the box.  It must have been a subsequent update that changed this behavior.

BTW, is there a changelog thread that tracks software updates?

Recognized Contributor
RobertWy

HD-Tech wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

HD-Tech wrote:

reggiedavid wrote:

Its been done by myself and at least one other that I remember from the original closed "X1 Forum" thread.  I used my Kill-A-Watt tool and there is absolutely no change in power profile.

With the rest of your point, I dont get what you mean.  Yes, the box needs to be able to awake to record things.  It should also be allowed to wake to do things like maintanence.  But it can handle these things without issue, and should know that if it needs to be awake for 30min overnight, it wake for that short period of time and be off for the remaining many hours.   I would think that over the course of the year, especially with multiple boxes, you could easily hit >$100 of extra electricity. 

The point is the old box could handle all this without issue.  Surely the X1 is capable of doing it.  Why Comcast chooses not to is another issue.  As I mentioned previously, only outright bugs have been addressed in X1.  Not a single feature has been added that the customers have really pushed for.

My RNG200N would turn on when recording a show after I went to bed and it wouldn't turn itself off when it was finished recording.  I don't remember what it did with software updates in the wee hours of the morning before I woke up.

Are you saying that my two X1 DVR's will use more power in a year than the two RNG200N's they replaced?

And now I read about the X2 boxes.  They are smaller and might use less power.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4418868/comcast-xi3-dvr-ditches-hard-drive-puts-your-recordings-in...

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/cable-show-2013-comcast-offers-sneak-peak-%E2%80%9Cx2%E2%80...

Sounds like X1 is just an interim step.

Bronze Star Contributor
HD-Tech

RobertWy wrote:

Are you saying that my two X1 DVR's will use more power in a year than the two RNG200N's they replaced?

I dont know the power profile of those boxes.  Its certainly possible they burn more power. 

My quick and dirty math says that if you are paying $0.15/kwh, at 35 watts per box and on 24/7, 1 box consumes $46 in electricity per year.  Lots of people have multiple boxes.   So you can do the math from there as to what it costs.  It my house, the box is "on" probably ~6 hours per day on 1 box and then just a measily 2, sometimes 3 hours on in the bedroom.  Not sure how normal of a usage pattern that is.

Contributor
FATHERFORD

When typing in the remote to go to a direct channel, lets say 601, a search list comes up and you have to press "ok" for it to switch channels. 

Is there a to turn this feature off? So I just press 601 and the box changes instantly to the channel?

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

ramskickbutt13 wrote:
Having problems keeping my favorite channel on. I use the filter to set my favorites but everytime I turn off the tv I have to reset again thru the filter. I have the xfinity x1 box. Is there a way to keep it set?

Thanks, Ramskickbutt13, for your comment. The Filters remain active for up to 4-hours and then reset to default, and there is no way to make them permanent at this point. I've passed along your suggestion along to Product Management for consideration.

Bronze Star Contributor
HD-Tech

Dillinger wrote:
Kara, okay, so, the inability to turn off the cable box via remote is a feature and not a bug... And the workaround is to simply get up and turn the cable box off manually if I actually wish to turn it off. My preference is to allow the remote to turn off the cable box. I understand how the power all function works. If the development team is going to make this option as an enhancement, how include it in the set top options and let the use decide.

The new "feature" gets even better!  If I press the power button manually, the next time the box is "on", the LED intensity resets to maximum even though the menu shows the value I have preset (I use 1 as that thing is very bright).  In this case, I have to change it up to 2 and back to 1. 

Kara - Please help to spin this as the intended behavior.

Recognized Contributor
RobertWy

With my X1 DVR always on, I no longer need two Power button on my remote.  I just use the TV or All power button to turn my TV off and on. 

Visitor
rene-mauricio

I have 4 X1 boxes in my home - all of them non-dvr. A few days ago, one of them ("Den" if it matters) no longer turns off using the included remote. I am now having to turn it off by hand. Oddly enough, once both TV and Box are off, I can turn them both on using the remote but the remote will only turn the TV off. Every other function works.

Using the hidden menu, I am able to tell you that the Firmware date on that box is dated 6/5/13.

Regular Contributor

It's new "feature" not a bug.

"The XR2 remote, used with the X1 Platform, is designed to get your TV and set top box powered on in sync. The remote's set top standby functionality has been been disabled to keep the power functionality as simple as possible – just press "all power" when you want to watch TV and your devices all turn on – no more turning your TV on while making your set top turn off by mistake. At the end of your session if you want the power light off you still can still do this by pressing the power button on the front of the box." -ComcastKaraT
Regular Contributor

Both my DVR's seem to be stuck downloading firmware. They've said dL 06, and dL 07 since 4AM this morning.

New Visitor
Duard53

[ Edited ]
Cap: Same problem. Did a soft reboot. Wonder if this was a download hang? If so, how does one go about a re-push?
New Visitor
musicaldrummer

Looked at the front of my X1 box and it shows dL92. What does dL92 mean?

New Visitor
Shan77

Xr2 remote problems

[ Edited ]

I hit the tv button on the xr2 remote and now it wont work with the box.

Recognized Contributor
RobertWy

captainvideojw wrote:

Both my DVR's seem to be stuck downloading firmware. They've said dL 06, and dL 07 since 4AM this morning.

JW,

Dd you try rebooting one of them to see what happens?

Regular Contributor
dL 92 would mean firmware download at 92% complete.
Depending on how long it shows that or if it progressed. Mine was stuck for over 4 hours.

There's no way to make it re-download after a reboot that I can find.
New Visitor
Duard53

[ Edited ]
Robert: did a reboot which takes you back to previous mode. Everything seems okay. My concern is there was a push that got hung up and I am not getting. Is there some Comcast notification board as to what downloads they are pushing, where geographically they are pushing them, and how to get a re-push if it wasn't successful? Probably way too much to ask. :smileyhappy:
Regular Contributor
CountYorga

My X1 DVR box has ED90 in the display and has for some hours now. The odd thing is the box seems to be operating normally as I have full remote function and two preprogrammed records went off as scheduled. Any idea what Ed90 means. Since all seems to work I will leave this awhile longer and see what happens before trying to clear with a boot.

Contributor

X1 Lost my surround option

In the last week or so I have lost the ability to select surround on my X1 DVR.  The recent software change seems to be involved.

Before I could select Audio Surround, then exit the menu. When I returned it would still be checked as Suround. Now when I go the Audio, I am always in Stereo no matter what I select. It seems the option has software glitch?
I use an optical cable right from the X1 box to my Samsung receiver, and until this recent update, it worked fine.

I have seen at least one other complaint on this issue and am waiting on Comcast to contact me (Right....;-(

Any ideas from the peanut gallery?

P.S. same issue when I use HDMI.

Bronze Star Contributor
HD-Tech

Re: X1 Lost my surround option

timmyd wrote:

In the last week or so I have lost the ability to select surround on my X1 DVR.  The recent software change seems to be involved.

Before I could select Audio Surround, then exit the menu. When I returned it would still be checked as Suround. Now when I go the Audio, I am always in Stereo no matter what I select. It seems the option has software glitch?
I use an optical cable right from the X1 box to my Samsung receiver, and until this recent update, it worked fine.

I have seen at least one other complaint on this issue and am waiting on Comcast to contact me (Right....;-(

Any ideas from the peanut gallery?

P.S. same issue when I use HDMI.

Its probably another new "feature".... Sorry I couldnt resist.

Contributor
frankb3

I'm having this experience too, as I posted above.  My sense is that while the menu says "stereo" I think surround is working.  I know that my rear speakers are working for most broadcasts. Annoying new feature though!

Contributor
Zamboni411

Re: PA PR150BNM cable box problems

Did you ever get a resolution to your issue? I just had everything installed this morning and I'm ready to throw it out the window and go back to my old boxes. I'm so sick of the delay and the fact that it just gets stuck. SO ANNOYING!!!
Contributor

I may be wrong, but the rear speakers can still work in stereo mode I believe?

True Surround must be transmitted or decoded by the X1 box to the reciever.  If any of you having this issue can fill us in on this? The whole Dolby, DIgital, LPCM, Stereo thing is a bit confusing...but I know when I am hearing a different sound track in the rear speakers....

Cheers...

Contributor
frankb3

[ Edited ]

ya, that may be true. However, my receiver displays "dolby digital" in the little screen, so I believe it is still receiving a surround signal.  ...just sayin'

Frequent Visitor

If you select surround from the drop down list then you will be using surround. If the box reboots it might go back to stereo, but for now just ignore what ever it displays in the Device Settings. Until they fix this bug, it will always show Stereo regardless of what it's actually outputting.

New Visitor
CurfmanMilford

Sorry for the long wait. I have this thing where it'll say that "xfinity service is not available at this moment. Please...". What makes me furious about tho is even when there is a picture and sound playing in the background, it'll pop up but without the black screen. And I noticed that sometimes when it seems to be working, il press the guide button or a number and then the message pops up again. Idk if this helps but when it's working properly it has dim green and yellow and no red. However when it freezes like that it'll have solid bright green and yellow and a bright blinking red. What's weird is that the speed of the blinking can vary. I know it's not the box itself because they've replaced it twice already. I'm so frustrated. I'm paying so much for tv service that I can't even use. And when I have a problem they act like its my fault and put me through the same loop of indifference. I don't want to sound whiney but its really making me mad that they still won't do anything.
Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

FATHERFORD wrote:

When typing in the remote to go to a direct channel, lets say 601, a search list comes up and you have to press "ok" for it to switch channels. 

Is there a to turn this feature off? So I just press 601 and the box changes instantly to the channel?

thanks, Fatherford. Currently, pressing numbers on the remote triggers a combined channel tune and search query. At this time, you cannot turn off the search list. I've shared this comment with the Search product manager for future consideration. 

Contributor

>>X1 audio selector stuck in stereo mode no matter what you select.<<

Talked to Comcast tech last night. He replicated my problem on my box and several other updated boxes he had access to. It is definitely a glitch and likely many have not discovered it yet.

The real question remains is it actually putting out Surround or stuck in Stereo.

Tech was not sure but reported it to the engineers.

To those who think that selecting surround still works, this seems a logical move. I know my receiver is Dolby Digital capable and I am using an optical cable which should be carrying the signal. I will get into my reciever and see if I can decipher the indications.

Does anyone know a good comcast channel, or program, to check to validate the surround sensation from the X1 box?

How can you tell using the X1 if the program is dolby digital or just stereo. Seems they used to display this on the program guide of the old mortorla??

Contributor
texascavediver

The real question remains is it actually putting out Surround or stuck in Stereo.
Tech was not sure but reported it to the engineers.
To those who think that selecting surround still works, this seems a logical move. I know my receiver is Dolby Digital capable and I am using an optical cable which should be carrying the signal. I will get into my reciever and see if I can decipher the indications.
Does anyone know a good comcast channel, or program, to check to validate the surround sensation from the X1 box?
How can you tell using the X1 if the program is dolby digital or just stereo. Seems they used to display this on the program guide of the old mortorla??"

All of the HD channels broadcast in 5.1. Your receiver should display which channels are receiving signal from the X1. 

Contributor
Ncad0220

There's a new feature for X1s it's called send to TV. U can send webpages or web content to your tv.
https://sendtotv.x1.comcast.net/send-something.html
Regular Contributor

I read about that yesterday in the press release.
Doesn't work with my boxes yet. DVR'S didn't update and are still on 5/23/13 firmware.
Regular Contributor
CountYorga

OK an update. Went to bed last night box still read Ed90. Got up this am and box was showing the time normally. After checking settings I discovered that the box got a firmware upgrade last night. Firmware level went from May 23 to June 4th. Based on this I suspect the Ed90 was an incomplete update that finished overnight.

Regular Contributor
Dillinger

@Ncad0220, thanks for sharing. Pretty cool. I have a smart TV so nothing new but still cool nonetheless.
Regular Contributor

I've been pretty patient as this platform evolves. But this issues makes me mad!

It's been doing this on different programs, channels. Recording the SD version when I specifically set a recording on a HD channel. It shows the HD program in scheduled recordings. Then it just does what it wants and records SD. I have to sit there and monitor it if I want HD. Unacceptable
Contributor

It appears that the surround is indeed working when the audio selection is made. Although it will continue to display stereo, it is putting out a pure Dolby Digital signal for surround.  Another bug in the bed until it's fixed.

I did notice that I got different audio outputs when using HDMI versus Optical. Optical direct from the X1 to the receiver was the best choice for pure digital surround.

Contributor

Re: X1 Platform remote

[ Edited ]

ComcastKaraT wrote:

hsokphilly wrote:

I recently upgraded to the Xfinity 1 platform DVR. The older remote has a "Swap" button to go back and forth between the 2 tuners, I don't see that button on the new remote. Is there a way to change tuners the way there is on the older DVRs (6412)?

Thanks for your post hsokphilly. The 'swap' functionality is not supported on X1. 

Hi Kara,

As a workaround for the swap feature, for things like watching two games at the same time, I've been recording both events. However, on our bedroom tv, we would frequently put one tuner on a channel of my choosing, and the other on my wife's, and we'd switch back and forth when we wanted too. While we really like the X1 interface, we're seriously considering going back to the older service since the lack of this feature has really disrupted our routine. Any chance that we can add this to the requested enhancements list? With what, 5 tuners available now, it seems that this would be a popular feature that wouldn't be too hard to deliver.

Recognized Contributor
RobertWy

cherrybronco wrote:

ComcastKaraT wrote:

hsokphilly wrote:

I recently upgraded to the Xfinity 1 platform DVR. The older remote has a "Swap" button to go back and forth between the 2 tuners, I don't see that button on the new remote. Is there a way to change tuners the way there is on the older DVRs (6412)?

Thanks for your post hsokphilly. The 'swap' functionality is not supported on X1. 

Hi Kara,

As a workaround for the swap feature, for things like watching two games at the same time, I've been recording both events. However, on our bedroom tv, we would frequently put one tuner on a channel of my choosing, and the other on my wife's, and we'd switch back and forth when we wanted too. While we really like the X1 interface, we're seriously considering going back to the older service since the lack of this feature has really disrupted our routine. Any chance that we can add this to the requested enhancements list? With what, 5 tuners available now, it seems that this would be a popular feature that wouldn't be to hard to deliver.

Hmm.  Maybe I don't understand what you say.  If my wife and I want to swap back and forth between the channels we watch, it takes to two button presses to accomplish it.  (Last, then Enter.) I seem to remember the old interface only required one button press.

Bronze Star Contributor
HD-Tech

RobrtWy wrote:

Hi Kara,

As a workaround for the swap feature, for things like watching two games at the same time, I've been recording both events. However, on our bedroom tv, we would frequently put one tuner on a channel of my choosing, and the other on my wife's, and we'd switch back and forth when we wanted too. While we really like the X1 interface, we're seriously considering going back to the older service since the lack of this feature has really disrupted our routine. Any chance that we can add this to the requested enhancements list? With what, 5 tuners available now, it seems that this would be a popular feature that wouldn't be to hard to deliver.

Hmm.  Maybe I don't understand what you say.  If my wife and I want to swap back and forth between the channels we watch, it takes to two button presses to accomplish it.  (Last, then Enter.) I seem to remember the old interface only required one button press.

This is a feature that has been asked for numerous times in the past 6 months.   The better way to describe this is having 2 tuners buffering.  This way you can flip back and forth between the 2 tuners, rewindeither if necessary, pause one,etc.  The current X1 implementation only has 1 tuner buffering. As soon as you change the channel (without flipping back within ~5sec), the previous buffer is gone.

I think it should be noted that not a single feature request that has been asked for in these threads has been introduced.  The features that have been added are ones that havent been requested like the power light staying on all the time, the sendtoTV feature (which is pretty cool BTW). We just hear that the product team is looking into it.  I wish someone from the product team would come on the forums to engage with us about these features.  Maybe they wont ever make it to the X1 but to make the same mistakes in X2 wont fly.