Visitor

Xfinity X1 Surround Sound Problems

I have several X1 boxes, both DVR and non-DVR, and they all have the same problem.  If I watch something that has been recorded (the only way I watch regular TV), or from On-Demand, the minute I pause or fast-forward, I lose the surround sound and it reverts back to stereo.  This happens with both a Pioneer Elite receiver and a high-end Denon receiver.  I have to go back to the X1 menu and toggle back and forth between surround and stereo audio output to get surround sound back.  Xfinity sent a technician who called the company while at my home.  The Comcast rep. admitted that it has been a known problem for sometime (as is evident from the numerous mentions of this problem on the internet for many months), but had no solution.  Incredibly, at first, they wanted to charge me for this service call and tried to blame my equipment, as opposed to theirs.  Nonsense.  This is very deceptive on Comcast's part, to knowingly sell a DVR that has such a fundamental problem, without disclosing the problem to customers.  Very disappointing.  If anyone has the same issue and has solved it, please let me know.

Regular Contributor
dougkinzinger

Re: Xfinity X1 Surround Sound Problems

I have a similar issue. The x1 companion boxes simply will not play surround sound when viewing recorded programs from the main x1 DVR. Live tv is fine. Very very frustrating, and disappointing.
Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

[ Edited ]

Similar problem here - I have 3 networked X1 DVR's and they'll play surround sound from live TV and from recording made on the individual DVR.  But they won't play surround sound on recordings made from one ot the other DVR's.

Regular Contributor
dougkinzinger

Wow - finally - some other folks are speaking up on this issue. Maybe it will finally get fixed, soon.

Regular Contributor
dougkinzinger

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

dougkinzinger wrote:

Wow - finally - some other folks are speaking up on this issue. Maybe it will finally get fixed, soon.

There have been many complaints on the forum regarding problems with surround sound.  Comcast has said that this is on their list of bugs to be fixed.

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

doug,

I don't think it's a matter of people finally speaking up. I think it's more a matter of it's been brought up enough times that the people who need to know already know. We have heard you loud and clear on this issue my friend but you are far from the first person to bring it up.

RG in MSP

dougkinzinger wrote:

Regular Contributor
dougkinzinger

Squeaky wheel = grease (my friend).

New Visitor
grosscs

I just got my X1 box this month and I am having the same problems.  It keeps switching from surround sound to stereo, although when I go into the settings it says it is in surround.  Each time I have to switch the settings on the X1 to stereo and then switch it back to surround.  This seems to snap it back into surround sound.  It is easy to fix, but extremely annoying because it happens several times a day.  It almost always does this overnight or anytime I have turned my receiver off.  I talked to the support team on the phone today and they said it is still an open issues, and will hopefully be resolved in a firmware update.  This seems unlikely as they have known about it since at least last September.  They also tried to tell me that I need plug my HDMI cable directly into my TV from the X1 box and not connect through my receiver.  This made it clear that they don't have a good understanding of how surround sound systems work as my house it wired for surround and all of the wires don't connect into the back of my TV or the X1 box, but rather a receiver.

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

grosscs wrote:

I just got my X1 box this month and I am having the same problems.  It keeps switching from surround sound to stereo, although when I go into the settings it says it is in surround.  Each time I have to switch the settings on the X1 to stereo and then switch it back to surround.  This seems to snap it back into surround sound.  It is easy to fix, but extremely annoying because it happens several times a day.  It almost always does this overnight or anytime I have turned my receiver off.  I talked to the support team on the phone today and they said it is still an open issues, and will hopefully be resolved in a firmware update.  This seems unlikely as they have known about it since at least last September.  They also tried to tell me that I need plug my HDMI cable directly into my TV from the X1 box and not connect through my receiver.  This made it clear that they don't have a good understanding of how surround sound systems work as my house it wired for surround and all of the wires don't connect into the back of my TV or the X1 box, but rather a receiver.

Many users have reported good luck by running HDMI directly from the STB to the HDTV and then using an optical audio connection from the STB to the receiver.

New Visitor
gregmax2

Is there a fix for the problem instead of work arounds?

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

gregmax2 wrote:

Is there a fix for the problem instead of work arounds?

Unforftunately no.

New Visitor
chiefster

I was going to do this (HDMI cable directly into TV) but then I lose on of the main benefits of having a receiver.  I would no longer be able to easily switch between inputs (X1, PS3, Chromecast, ...).  Plus my receiver has an on screen menu that I wouldn't be able to access without messing with diffeent input settings on TV and receiver.

New Visitor
mrTV

I'm in the same boat. Just had X1 installed today and was very dissapointed with this issue. It seems the X1 box trying to be too helpful. It doesn't just output the signal you've requested. Instead, it outputs the signal it thinks the receiving device can accept. In may case, I have an AV receiver between the TV and the X1 box. When the TV is powered off, the reading on the AV receiver is Dolby Digital 5.1. As soon as I turn on the TV, the receiver reads LPCM 48 and outputs stereo. If I turn the TV off (but leave the receiver on), it auto switches back to Dolby Digital. The only way I've been able to get surround to work is to go HDMI direct to the TV and then optical from the X1 to the receiver. So now changing sources a multi-step proccess involving multiple remotes. Comcast Fail. 

New Visitor
Atjoeh

Same exact problem… I have to toggle between stereo and surroundsound. What's worse is that the little remote boxes won't play surround sound when watching recorded shows....
Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

There is a fix. In the case of the X1 DVR you need to get your hands on an Arris built X1 DVR (XG1-A with blue power light) and get rid of the Pace built X1 (XG1-P with either blue or green power light).

In the case of the Companion boxes the only fix is to not use HDMI. They work much better (but not perfectly) when you use component video connections.

I would list more details and reasons why this is but there has already been so much written on this issue that I don't want to write it again...

New Visitor
mrTV

[ Edited ]

Thanks Rick. I have an Arris box with the blue power light and I have been able to get the surround sound to remain stable through HDMI. My AV receiver up-converts to 1080p and the picture quality going direct to the TV was terrible by comparison. So I did some additional experimenting and it turns out that the "Cable TV" input on my receiver supports HDMI pass-through - the idea being that you can watch TV without having the receiver on (and have sound through the TV speakers). Although I had this feature disabled on the receiver, it seems that the "Cable TV" input on the receiver is just a "patch through" to the output. I switched to an alternate HDMI input about 2 weeks ago and the surround sound has been stable since.

As for the companion box, I do not have surround sound in my other TV room. I plan to at some point and when the time comes I will buy an AV receiver that supports the ability to assign the optical or coax audio to an HDMI input.

New Visitor
tlcincal

Wow.  So I am not going crazy after all.  I have had my X1 since Labor Day 2013.  It does NOT play well with my Pioneer Blue-Ray Home Theater system.  It is incredibly frustrating.  I get decent sound on the recordings, though not the true Surround. On live TV it will switch from all 5 speakers to only 2 (one front and one rear).  Every time they do programming tweeks, I can tell as it will switch from stereo to NO SOUND at all!.  I have to go into settings select stereo, save it, exit and then go back in and set it back to surround. So disappointing to find I spent $400 on a new sound system that I cannot enjoy.  Calling customer service is useless as they are not equipped to even deal with the situation.  This is a known issue they have been "dealing with" since 9/2013. Judging from my experience, they are not dealing with it at all. I think they should have been honest and launched the thing as a Beta Test instead of a new service. :-(

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

tlcincal wrote:

Wow.  So I am not going crazy after all.  I have had my X1 since Labor Day 2013.  It does NOT play well with my Pioneer Blue-Ray Home Theater system.  It is incredibly frustrating.  I get decent sound on the recordings, though not the true Surround. On live TV it will switch from all 5 speakers to only 2 (one front and one rear).  Every time they do programming tweeks, I can tell as it will switch from stereo to NO SOUND at all!.  I have to go into settings select stereo, save it, exit and then go back in and set it back to surround. So disappointing to find I spent $400 on a new sound system that I cannot enjoy.  Calling customer service is useless as they are not equipped to even deal with the situation.  This is a known issue they have been "dealing with" since 9/2013. Judging from my experience, they are not dealing with it at all. I think they should have been honest and launched the thing as a Beta Test instead of a new service. :-(

Did you read any of this thread? Your answer is two posts above. If you are talking about the X1 DVR you need to get your hands on the Arris made (XG1-A with blue power light). If you are talking about the Companion boxes you need to stop using HDMI connections and switch to component.

New Visitor
whetagg

How do you get your hands on the Arris box? Is that available through Comcast or do you have to purchase from a retailer?

Bronze Problem Solver
RickGr4

whetagg wrote:

How do you get your hands on the Arris box? Is that available through Comcast or do you have to purchase from a retailer?

You can't purchase them and the Comcast stores still don't stock them. Usually when you call in for service you cannot request one. However a few members of this forum have reported that once they were able to get their trouble ticket escalated to Tier 2, they were then able to request an Arris box.

Be ready for a few long and frustrating phone calls to Comcast. It's all ya got... 

New Visitor
whetagg

Thanks much RIck. I appreciate the feedback. Long and frustrating calls to Comcast are the norm. I never expect quick resolution and am never disappointed by getting it. LOL

New Visitor
KaneM7

I have just started having this issue. This also includes a lip sync issue.

What Changed:

Purchased and installed a new Sony 65 4K TV(HDMI 2.0)

Replaced Samsung 52LN650(HDMI 1.4a)

I believe it is becasue of the the TV responding to the audio call over HDMI. If I go into the X1 DVR and flip between Stereo/Surround.. The lipsync and surround are restored to acceptable conditions.

I have confirmed the PCM signal on the receiver(Marantz SR5006) for the selected input.

Based on reading previous comments I have the Green Power Light Unit.

Are there any other suggestions?