New Visitor
dbuttero

x1 deleting recorded shows

HI,  Im a new x1 customer, my x1 DVR keeps deleting my recorded shows even though i  have plenty of room on my DVR and i have the settings set to keep recordings until i delete.  then after it deletes my recordings all my Scheduled recordings disappear and i have to go in the guide and set them all up again.  this happens once a week like clock work.   

what the heck is going on?

New Visitor

Re: x1 deleting recorded shows

Same here.They fix it or i try Fios

Recognized Contributor
RobertWy

I've never had that happen to me since I got X1 last July.

New Visitor

First 6 months,no problem.The last 3 weeks 30 times.

Recognized Contributor
m45warrior1

sportscaster wrote:

First 6 months,no problem.The last 3 weeks 30 times.

I haven't had that happen either. What software levels are you at? Have you reported to Comcast. Keep in mind that this is a peer to peer forum so your message may not be seen by Comcast and they may not be aware of the problem.

New Visitor

Yes.Had the box reset and it still deletes on it's own,hard drive is showing 50% full.Although if the content is in the cloud how does local hard drive capacity matter.16 Mia and Me episodes that your 6 yr old saved disappearing 6 eps. then 10 eps.  over a 3 days period.Some series recording skips episodes.Tired of paying $200 a month for Beta.

New Visitor
wapitipoker

My X1 is deleting a bunch of my older recordings too. It is completely aggravating. I have room, but it just erases a bunch of shows that are slightly old. I lost the whole season of Deadliest Catch and it isn't available on demand. I travel a lot and count on being able to catch up on shows when I am home. I did a search and it is a known problem that supposedly was "fixed" back in April... Guess not.

Regular Contributor
mike4466

What the OP is describing happens to me if the DVR reaches 75% capacity.  However, I have not had it happen otherwise.  Since the posters are saying their DVRs are no where near 75%, could this be a localized issue with a recent release?

Mike

Recognized Contributor
m45warrior1

mike4466 wrote:

What the OP is describing happens to me if the DVR reaches 75% capacity.  However, I have not had it happen otherwise.  Since the posters are saying their DVRs are no where near 75%, could this be a localized issue with a recent release?

Mike

Does anyone know where the deleted files folder is stored? I am wondering if when the DVR shows 75% full it may be much fuller than that if there is a bunch of stuff in the deleted file folder. Even if compressed the files in there must be taking up some amount of space. So I am wondering if those files are taking up space on the disk but not used in the calculation for the percent showing (your 75%)... but then are used in the calculation to determine if shows need to be deleted... Just a thought.

Recognized Contributor
gotpizza

I am with you on the 75% thing. no problem on the pace dvr , but the arris goes ape s#%t when it hits that mark! it just will skip recording random things altogether. i think it has something to do with the solid state hard drive vrs the regular one in the pace. I am wondering if they are using more page files with the arris and when there is four tuners going at once it needs that space for temp memory...just my thoughts here!

Regular Contributor
mike4466

If I'm not mistaken, when the DVR is approaching 75%, it's supposed to start deleting things from the Deleted Items folder first before it starts trashing other recordings.  I could be wrong here, and my experience shows it isn't that easy.

I have the Arris DVR and as gotpizza stated, it goes over-the-top crazy when the magic 75% number is reached.  Random, weird things start happening, such as shows not recording, recordings disappearing, etc.  It's painful, especially when my wife's Young and the Restless recordings are some of the casualties.

Mike

Recognized Contributor
gotpizza

mike that is why I have a pace box too. much better box for recording stuff.....if it only worked well with my sound all the time I would put it in the media room. Also the pace is so much faster than the arris moving around the menus..

Recognized Contributor
fpirelli

When recording shows I use the option to keep for 1 year.  Haven't had anything deleted since.

Fred

Regular Contributor
mike4466

I used to have a Pace box, but when it went belly up a few months ago I insisted on an Arris box when the tech came out.  I had read here in the forums that the Arris box was the way to go.

Fred:  I also use the option to keep for 1 year on all of our series recording.  When the box reaches 75% all bets are off and the "keep for 1 year" option means nothing...

Mike

Recognized Contributor
fpirelli

Thanks I didn't realize that.  Good to know.

mike4466 wrote:

I used to have a Pace box, but when it went belly up a few months ago I insisted on an Arris box when the tech came out.  I had read here in the forums that the Arris box was the way to go.

Fred:  I also use the option to keep for 1 year on all of our series recording.  When the box reaches 75% all bets are off and the "keep for 1 year" option means nothing...

Mike