Contributor

Motion sensor help

Hello - we've had the system for almost two weeks now, and for some reason, the motion sensor in my Kitchen area trips, when we have armed the system "away", and when I enter the home and disarm it via the keypad, which is in the kitchen, my keypad will show "Kitchen motion motion".  I had a tech out for this issue last week, he said it was a faulty motion, and changed it.  Today, the same thing happened.  I am concerned that if the panel is showing a motion trip all the time, that when I reset it to leave again, I don't know if it is going to pick up if there really was a motion trip.  Now, instead of  keypad saying "Ready to arm" - it just stays at Kitchen motion motion.  Beyond frustrating.  Anyone have any ideas?   There should be a delay when I come in from Arm away - so the motion should not even be looking yet - unless I misunderstood the tech.  Thanks for any advice. 

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Re: Motion sensor help

marclav-

The motion sensor will always be looking because it detects any movement within that area. As for you sensor that keeps going off, we really need to look in the cause of this to see why this is happening.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor

Thanks, Comcast Larry.  When a tech was out last Friday, he changed the sensor, and said that my touch screen should go back to "ready to arm" (or whatever the exact words are), but mine is in red and says "kitchen motion motion".  Obviously changing the motion didn't help - unless the touchscreen is bad, or something else.  My concern is that I want to be able to arm my system, and have that motion ready to pick up real motion if there is some.  I don't know if it can given that it is showing as if it is already tripped.  I will call them back out, but this is frustrating. 

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Marclav-

Has the support team contacted you about this issue yet?

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor

Hi, yes they have - there is a tech coming out on Monday.  They offered sooner but we had a family funeral today and just needed a few days.  Thanks for asking!

Administrator
ComcastLarry

I'm truly sorry to bother you and your family during this time. When you have time please let me know if I can assist with this matter further.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor
Daye

Motion sensors do not function by looking for " motion " per se,  they look for a change in a heat signature.

This is why a motion sensing light switch in the garage has a hard time turning the lights on in the summer time.  The ambient air temperature is close or exceeds your own body temperature, thus blinding the sensor.

A potential cause for your problem may be a heat source. 

I once had phantom sensor triggers with another system I had until I realized it was the central heat kicking in and blowing a blast of hot air right into the sensors scanning zone :smileylaugh:

The quick change in temp caused the sensor to trigger.  Since the Xfinity sensors don't have sensitivity settings, try moving the sensor and see if it helps.

Contributor

It looks as though that is my only option, although we placed it where it was so it is in full site of a window and doorwall in that area.  There is an xfinity camera right above it - but I don't think that is causing any problems.  It happens still, not every time I enter the house, but most.  For now, I just reboot the touch screen, and it goes back in to ready mode - and the Kitchen motion motion will be gone.  We may think to move it - just not sure where to!  Thanks for your help.

Contributor
tfabriz85

I seem to have to opposite problem. My motion sensor never seems to indicate that it sees motion. I can walk across its sight line with the touch screen in my hand and it never indicates motion. Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thanks,

Tom

Contributor

One thing I know from our system is that I rarely see the red light.  I am not sure if that is what you are referring to - but I don't see ours light up either - where my old system, that is how I knew the motion was working, a red light would come on.  With Xfinity - I don't see that light - but it is working and seeing us.  I like the capability of the system, just not sure it's worth the extra money at this point.  I reset my touch screen 2-3 times a day, but moving the motion really will defeat the purpose, so we'll just reset the touch screen. 

Contributor
tfabriz85

I hardly see the red light either, but install tech said it doesn't light up often to help conserve the battery. My touch screen does not even indicate that there is motion when someone walks in front of the sensor. Does it only indicate motion when the alarm is armed?

Contributor

I think so.  For us, the alarm is armed and when I enter my house to put the code in, it picks up the motion and then the touch screen will say Kitchen motion motion.  Now, as of yesterday, I was able to download the Xfinity home security app on my Droid 4, so I can disable the alarm before entering the home, so it should alleviate the issue.  They assured me that even though the motion was showing that it tripped on the touch screen, it was still ready to pick up real new motion if needed, but I feel better knowing that it is armed and ready - without showing the motion as tripped. 

New Visitor
mtbroadie

Had my system installed Tuesday (10/23) and am now experiencing this issue after taking the dog for a walk today. Scenario: armed the system in "away" mode. Opened front door, exited, closed and locked it. About an hour later, came back, opened door, heard alert beeps from Xfinity system, crossed the room (with motion sensor), disarmed the panel and all seemed well. Then I noticed the alert banner in the top left of the touchscreen reading "main floor motion motion." I tapped on the banner but saw no way to dismiss it. Figured it would reset after the next few arm/disarm cycles. It has not. Frustrating. Hope someone from Comcast might reply with an answer; seems like a potential software bug in the touchscreen.
Contributor

That sounds like my exact issue - just different motion.  I had 2 or 3 techs come out, and was basically told we can move the motion sensor.  The installer is the one who chose that spot in order to capture all windows/doors, so it really is the best spot.  In case they haven't told you yet, you can go into advanced settings on the touch screen, and there is an option to reboot touchscreen.  I would do that 2 to 3 times each day - just so I was comfortable that the motion would be ready to pick up real motion should it need to.  It may be a software issue, who knows.  We changed out one sensor thinking it was bad, only to have the new one do the same thing.  Good luck !

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Is your system armed in the away status when you try this or are you referring to arm night/stay?

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor

This happens when it is in the armed away status.  Now that the android app is available, I have been disarming from outside, and the issue doesn't happen. Now it only happens when someone else that doesn't have the app comes in, and then I will just reboot the touchscreen.  We are fine with it this way.  Thanks

New Visitor
forward123

I have the same problem with two separate motion sensors.  multiple techs out and two supervisors.  they say with the red banner on the touch screen, that the motion senors are ready, however, after extensive testing, I have concluded that the motion sensors will not work, if an old trip banner is on the touchscreen.  Comcast is going to swap the motion sensors for window sensors and gIve me a different, new touchscreen.  

this happens in away mode, stay doesnt turn on the motion sensors.  ive had both motion sensors replaced previously and it didnt change the result.

Contributor

Yes, I don't really think that swapping out the motion will help.  I am glad to hear that you got a supervisor to return your call.  I was not so lucky.  Left a message - but still no reply, and that was weeks ago.  It is very frustrating.  I like the system, when it works.  Last week, I received 26 text messages that my communication was lost.  Of course, I was out of town, and when communication is lost, the convenience of the app is useless.  The touchscreen will work, and protection is there, but as far as using the thermostat or lights or arming and disarming - wont work.  Not so sure I am happy that we switched alarm companies.  That 3 year commitment should be waived when the system/service is such!!  Hope you have better luck!

New Visitor

I think because this motion sensor is facing the windows, it's sensing motions from out door, which can be anything that is moving out side, including wind, I would put the motion sensor facing inside from the window this should sense the motions inside the house instead, I also think that you can adjust the lens to adjust the range. instructions to do this should have come with the sensor, if you know the model motions sensor you may be able to more information on this at their website. remember you want to pick up motions inside the house not outside.

New Visitor

I had security system installed now for little over a month.  My first Motion Senor seemed to work well when armed away and then the battery died on it.  It picked up montion when I completed testing to see if it would alarm.   Tech came out and instead of replacing the battery replaced the complete sensor. Was put back in same location.  2nd Motion Sensor now when armed away will pick up my 10lbs dog if going down the stairs from upstairs. When I called Home support was advised possible a setting on sensor should not pick up motion if less than 85lbs. When Tech came out again was advised their is no setting.  That I would need to move it to a different location.  That the dog going down the steps would trigger it since within line of sight of sensor. ( not sure then on the lbs that it advises).  Sensor was moved to a new location.  

New location at first would show motion with red light every so often.  However, I went to test again under Armed Away and once Armed walked into room and nothing.  Alarm did not sound.  Sensor did not light.  Called support again and they replaced the sensor and moved it yet again.  Still the same issue.  Was advised by the tech to give it like 5 mins after I test and then walk in room and it should alarm. Not the case.

Trying to find out the following.

1.  Is it normal for a sensor to alarm when a 10 lbs pet would walk into the zone.  Even though sensor advises pet friendly upto 85lbs.

2.  How long does it take the montion sensor to be ready to capture motion after being armed away.

I have reset the touchsreen numerous times and still no luck

I have had other security systems and never had any problems with motion sensor picking up pets from where located or not picking up at all.

Contributor
NathanR

[ Edited ]

tfabriz85: I seem to have to opposite problem. My motion sensor never seems to indicate that it sees motion. I can walk across its sight line with the touch screen in my hand and it never indicates motion. Has anyone encountered this problem?

It only indicates motion when the alarm is Arm'ed Away (Stay and Night don't arm the motions).  (And note that if you Arm Away but don't open a door during the exit period, the alarm actually arms as Stay at the end of the exit period.)

Contributor

We have an 11 pound dog that freely roams the house and does not set off the sensors/alarm.  Not sure why yours is going off.  It sounds as though I should be thankful that I don't have bigger issues with this alarm.  When I first had the system installed, Comcast would call ME to make sure everything was working well and that we were satisfied, now, they don't even return calls.  Too many call backs I'd imagine.  I rarely had service out with our former alarm company - and for the premium price we pay for this - it should work flawlessly. 

Regular Contributor
Jimmy3089

I think the OP is walking in the motion view when disarming the alarm and that will set it off every time you go to disarm the system from "away", the "sense motion " red display will go away if you reboot the touchscreen. Settings-->advanced settings---> reboot touchscreen
Visitor

So I have had an issue with the motion sensor that was inclded with our install. It has caused an alarm a number of times (all while we were away from our house). The camera's didn't pick up anything inside our out, yet because we were unable to get cell phone reception where we were, the police were dispatched, and now I have a fine to pay. What can I do to resolve this? should I have a tech remove the sensor?

New Visitor
Jkskae

Wait a minute. You can only turn on the motion sensors in the Armed Away mode and then only if you actually open and close a door? How does this make sense for anyone who wants their motion sensors on at night????
Contributor
jcheinaman

[ Edited ]
Depending when you received your alarm system. The system now offers an option for motion sensors to be active in night mode. It may require a firmware update and setting adjustment. You will want to schedule a technician to set this up for you.
Visitor

[ Edited ]

We are having the same problem, our 40lb dog with an 85lb limit sensor is setting off coming down stairs....the teck mounted right across the stairs so that is the first mistake on their part.  I also am getting mixed information from different tech support in person and online about pet in home.  It doesn't seem to set off by our dog just walking around though so we are assuming the stairs are the problem.  Tech coming friday to maybe move sensor to another location.  Interesting that we aren't the only ones with this problem.  The installation Tech said the only way we could avoid the dog tripping alarm is to lock her in one room......I don't think so....for the cost of the system they should fix the problem...since the sensors claim to be dog friendly under 85lbs.