Visitor

Comcast App for Android

Is there any update on the App for Android.... how can we put the pressure on Comcast to get the lead out. the iPhone only has a single digit share on the smartphone market.  
Official Employee
charvey

Re: Comcast App for Android

It's on the roadmap for later this year, but will depend on resources. The product manager does read these forums so will take the feedback here, but you can you can always try this form.

Contributor

What about the blackberry app from last october?
Mac Expert
Joel

JTKanuck wrote:
Is there any update on the App for Android.... how can we put the pressure on Comcast to get the lead out. the iPhone only has a single digit share on the smartphone market.  
If you're going to argue marketshare as a reason for Comcast to release an Android app (which dozens of other posts in this very forum tell us is already in development–along with BLackberry) at least back up your argument with facts
Visitor

Wow.. relax. First, wasn't arguing. Just posted if anybody knew if there was an update on the release. I am well aware of the "dozens" of other posts have told us. My point was that those of use who opt to go another route for our cellular and smartphone choices maybe frustrated with the iPhone being the first to see the apps and widgets.

And my facts being, Bloomberg reported last quarter of 2009, Mac held a 7 percent in computers and a 9 percent in smartphones. But thanks for the link regardless. But hey I'm not perfect, markets change.

But it doesn't change my orginal point, relax I wasn't attacking the iPhone and Mac fans.

Contributor

[ Edited ]
And good for you JT just because Apple is more vocal doesn't mean eveyone else needs to be left out.  Comcast needs to know that the rest of its customers expect the same level of service regardless of their phone choice.
Message Edited by dtyronestrand on 03-02-2010 08:56 PM
Official Employee
charvey

Guys, more devices are coming, it's not just a iPhone app (although it is right now). It takes time to develop such apps and remember the Android only released a while ago!

I would suggest using the link above that I posted for feedback.

Contributor

This is awesome news. Thanks for the update.
Contributor
carseller0822

[ Edited ]
Mac Expert

JTKanuck wrote:
If you're going to argue marketshare as a reason for Comcast to release an Android app (which dozens of other posts in this very forum tell us is already in development–along with BLackberry) at least back up your argument with facts

Just to update-http://www.pcworld.com/article/210384/android_no_2_mobile_os_apple_eats_its_dust.html

My, what a difference a few months make.

Contributor
carseller0822

Just saw this today

http://phandroid.com/2010/11/15/comcast-bringing-xfinity-remote-app-for-android-by-the-end-of-this-y...

I don't know what if any difference there will be between the ios app and the Android app. If I see any further updates I will post them here.                  

Official Employee
charvey

carseller0822 wrote:

Just saw this today

http://phandroid.com/2010/11/15/comcast-bringing-xfinity-remote-app-for-android-by-the-end-of-this-y...

I don't know what if any difference there will be between the ios app and the Android app. If I see any further updates I will post them here.                  

There is a difference between the two apps, one is focused around TV and the other is more similar to what you see now on the iPhone.

Bronze Star Contributor

I just noticed the mobile comcast.net site got an update. I have an android phone and in the past when I went to www.comcast.net on my phone, I would see a prompt asking if I wanted to try the iPhone layout. The iPhone layout was a much better interface than m.comcast.net. Eventually, I stopped getting that prompt and always went to the iPhone layout. A couple of days ago, I checked out the iPhone layout and noticed that I had the option to record a TV program. I tried it out and it successfully got transmitted from the phone to the box.

I know that the Android app is coming soon, but it's interesting that first the iPhone gets the Xfinity app and now the iPad has it. From the comments on the Phandroid page, Blackberry users are also waiting for the app. Just wondering, is it easier to develop for iPhone?

Contributor
carseller0822

Contributor
carseller0822

Allegedly the app is coming Friday according to this report

http://www.androidcentral.com/comcasts-android-app-coming-friday

Let's hope so.

Recognized Contributor

I was told 11/30/10, but either way it should be coming before the end of the year.

Bronze Star Contributor

Comcast: Could you please provide an update as to when the app will be available -- preferably a date rather than "coming soon" or "by the end of the year"

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

As with any new product, release dates can change due to unforseen circumstances. As it now stands, the Android app release has been delayed until January 2011.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Contributor

Do you know if the delayed app is the Xfinity TV app, or the basic Comcast Mobile app, or both?  According to this article on Android Central there are two apps and one was a basic Android mobile app scheduled for 11/30.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

The Andriod XTV app was delayes until January. The Xfinity Mobile app (formerly known as the Comcast Mobile App) will be released on Friday for Android users.

Just 'Dete'
Regular Contributor
briankeith513

Is the Comcast Mobile App still being released for Android today? I see its not in the Market now.
Bronze Star Contributor

Just checked androidcentral.com and there is no mention of the app being available. I then checked the Comcast mobile page (comcast.net/mobile) and I see that there is in an indication that the app for blackberry is coming soon. Previously, there was only a picture of an iPhone and an iPad; now there is a picture of a blackberry. I wonder if this means that the Android app is delayed again and that the blackberry app is going to come out.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

The Android release has been delayed as we are putting some finishing touches to make sure the experience is smooth for customers! We are very excited and looking forward to get the app out early next week

Just 'Dete'
Regular Contributor
briankeith513

CC_Dete wrote:

The Android release has been delayed as we are putting some finishing touches to make sure the experience is smooth for customers! We are very excited and looking forward to get the app out early next week

Ok, thanks.  Yeah, many of us are looking forward to the Android apps from Comcast as well, as it sounds like it will offer a lot of conveniences.:smileygrin:

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

There were a few kinks to work out, but there shouldn't be any more delays. Release is slated for the next week.

Just 'Dete'
Regular Contributor
briankeith513

Ok, it looks like the Comcast Mobile app for Android is now scheduled to be released on Tuesday, 12/7/10.

Regular Contributor
briankeith513

[ Edited ]

briankeith513 wrote:

Ok, it looks like the Comcast Mobile app for Android is now scheduled to be released on Tuesday, 12/7/10.

Well, I guess there was another delay?  Maybe CC Dete can chime in on this.  I see a lot of forums online are discussing it, at AndroidCentral, Phandroid, and others.

New Visitor
tokinjedi

Been this long and delayed for the measly mobile app, don't even want to think about the xfinity app. come on comcast, seriously. we pay you money for services that you fail on. the 'ell.

Regular Contributor
briankeith513

Hey, guys.  It was just released a few hours ago.  Xfinity Mobile...get it from the Market now.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

HI all - how do you like the app?

Just 'Dete'
New Visitor
hlazar

I like what I see so far but would like some improvements. 1: I want to be able to down load 2 weeks of schedule info to my SD card (ideally on a schedule I could set) so tv info would be instantly available 2: I would kill to use my Android phone as a channel change
Regular Contributor
briankeith513

CC_Dete wrote:

HI all - how do you like the app?

I like it a lot so far, very handy app, nice ui, especially for an official version one app.  

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the feedback. Keep in mind that this is only the first release hlazar; I'm certain more functionality will be available sooner than you think

Just 'Dete'
Contributor

I like the app but am having a problem.  Is anyone else not getting new message push notifications or icons in the phone's notification bar?  I have set the notifications On and refresh every 15 minutes within the app settings.  I have an HTC EVO FYI.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Can you attempt to re-synch the device (log-out of the application and log in)

Just 'Dete'
Visitor
HurpDurp

I can't seem to set up recordings. I can do it just fine on the website, but when pressing on the name of a program and selecting 'record', after a minute or two I get a small, blank box returned to me. When using 'record with options' the "Scheduling" text is displayed indefinitely, and the only way to get out of the app is to force close it. Speaking of force closes, when using the 'load more messages' for emails I instantly get a force close prompt from the app crashing :/ The rest seems to work well.
Visitor

Will Not work with Moto cliq....force closes on app start. It runs android 1.5.

Regular Contributor
briankeith513

One problem that I have just discovered, is that the TV Listings doesn't show all of my channels, including the ones that you can see from "TV Listings" on Xfinity online.

Bronze Star Contributor

I like the app, but I've noticed that once it's run the first time, it continues to run, even after closing the app. I'm constantly getting new message alerts. I suppose that for some people, they would like for the app to run this way. I'm thinking that it's constantly running which is keeping that memory in use and it's also running the battery down. I suppose that what I would like to see is a logout or a quit option and then that way, I can check as often as I desire for new messages or browse tv listings.

Regular Contributor

I think there's something screwy with the Address Book sync.  I changed the settings so the SZ Address Book would overwrite my phones contacts (hopefully saving them to the phone so I can sort them into groups since Google account synch doesn't allow that).  What seemed to happen though was the other way around.  My phone contacts (in this case my phone was synched with Google) would replace what was on the SZ one.  At least that's what I think happened, the whole thing seemed screwy and I don't want to replicate the issue since I now have my contacts just the way I want them.  But I would look into the two ways you can synch your address book and make sure its functioning properly.  I'll also mention I have the Samsung Fascinate which may have some differences in both phone UI and functionality that could cause this issue.

New Visitor
1dotfm

I have the galaxy tab running 2.2. I also have an ipad with the app too. I would like the app to support changing of the channel. I love how with the ipad i can change the channel. Please add this feature soon. Major bug or issue. If i go back to home then to tv listings the app has to download the listing details again. There should be a way the you save a full 2weeks of show details on the device. Im sure this data is a very small file. Also if your scroll from channel 700 to 800 then back up the app doesnt even save the listing details. This creates lag for me. You need to fix that issue quick otherwise this app is a major fail for me. Make the app work more like the ipad then you will have a happy user here.
Contributor

So far, I like it. However, three issues with the TV Listings section:

1) Cannot seemingly cache any listings. This makes scrolling through the channels a real pain, since it has to refresh completely every time a few new channels come onscreen. Quite annoying.

2) When I cancel a series or single episide recording in the MyDVR section, it never seems to reflect that cancellation of the recording even after waiting an hour for it to "take". I confirmed later once I got home that the cancellation had worked though

3) Also, picking a show from the listings, then selecting "other scheduled times/airings" doesn't seem to show any HD listings unless that's the channel you're currently looking at. Likewise, looking at a show on its HD channel, and then searching for "other scheduled times/airings" doesn't include the non-HD channels in the list. This is useful, because depending on how much space is left on the DVR, I sometimes will opt to record the SD version of a show. Wouldn't be so bad if point #1 above didn't make channel scrollling so annoying.

Just as an enhancement suggestion: info on the amount of space left on the DVR would be nice.

Overall though, nice first version, definitely. Kudos.

Connection Expert
JamesR

opus20745 wrote:

So far, I like it. However, three issues with the TV Listings section:

1) Cannot seemingly cache any listings. This makes scrolling through the channels a real pain, since it has to refresh completely every time a few new channels come onscreen. Quite annoying.

Haven't tried it myself yet but it looks like there is a way to add channels to Favorites and then you should be able to just scrolll the Favorites.

Bronze Star Contributor

I downloaded and installed the app yesterday afternoon. It was working fine yesterday, but now it won't work. When I setup the app initially, I entered my username and password and selected the option to remember me. Now when I try to get to my e-mail on the phone, I receive a message stating that access to comcast.net e-mail requires a subscription. There doesn't appear to be a way to logout so that I can then log back in.

When I initiated a chat session, the representative asked me to powercycle my modem. They didn't seem to understand that I was asking about the mobile app. I powercycled the phone, but that didn't work. The representative then indicated they were going to refer me to my original equipment manufacturer for support. I'm fairly certain that the equipment manufacturer and my mobile provider aren't going to be able to provide support for a third party app.

Connection Expert
JamesR

My guess is that the Chat Tech doesn't have a Cell phone or a Smart phone and had no clue.

I will notify an administrator of your issue andse if we can get you some help

Please monitor here and your Comcast email for a response.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

[ Edited ]

@ 

select the settings icon will take you to the settings for the app. In that section, tap on Notifications and Sounds. You can disable the voice mail notifications there by tapping on the ON/OFF button.

Also, try uninstalling/reinstalling the app to get it to recognize your credentials.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

@hurp

Try the following:

1. Go the Guide and select "myDVR Manager" from the menu to start the Activation

2. The App will ask you to select "Activate Now" to sync with the home DVR.
Activation does not mean that if you are already activated online (the online site for myDVR Manager) we will again activate you. It simply means we are activating you to use myDVR Manager through the XFINITY Mobile App

3. Once the Program details screen is open, select the Schedule a Recording menu option to open the Schedule a Recording screen. Choose the DVR you want to Record on along with what you want to record – Episode or Series, by going into the Record screen

4.Once you have selected what you want to record, select Schedule Recording to send the recording request. Once request is received, a Pop-up will appear confirming the same.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

@NIC42020

@briankeith513

We're looking into this.

@szeck87

We're going to evaluate the experience. Apologies for the trouble.

Just 'Dete'
New Visitor
Bttang83

Hi, I have a Droid Incredible running 2.2, downloaded the app yesterday, I like what I see so far, just a few problems. 1. I can't use the mydvr part of the application, it appears greyed out, if I am in the listings and long press a show, the option to record is greyed out as well. Is there something I have to do to be able to see the DVR? 2. When in the forum, through the app, if you rotate to portrait, it goes back to login screen. That's all I have found so far, I would love to be able to change channels with my phone too, like everyone else. I realize that these things take time, I do like what I see so far though, keep up the good work.
Official Employee
charvey

cb2367 wrote:

I like the app, but I've noticed that once it's run the first time, it continues to run, even after closing the app. I'm constantly getting new message alerts. I suppose that for some people, they would like for the app to run this way. I'm thinking that it's constantly running which is keeping that memory in use and it's also running the battery down. I suppose that what I would like to see is a logout or a quit option and then that way, I can check as often as I desire for new messages or browse tv listings.

What if you change the 'settings' to "logout on exit"?

Official Employee
charvey

Bttang83 wrote:
Hi, I have a Droid Incredible running 2.2, downloaded the app yesterday, I like what I see so far, just a few problems. 1. I can't use the mydvr part of the application, it appears greyed out, if I am in the listings and long press a show, the option to record is greyed out as well. Is there something I have to do to be able to see the DVR? 2. When in the forum, through the app, if you rotate to portrait, it goes back to login screen. That's all I have found so far, I would love to be able to change channels with my phone too, like everyone else. I realize that these things take time, I do like what I see so far though, keep up the good work.

Are you able to manage your DVR on a PC/MAC via the Fancast website? Make sure that's working and activated.