Contributor
BC8320

XFinity App for Amazon Kindle Fire (Android OS 2.3).

RE:  XFinity App for Amazon Kindle Fire (Android OS 2.3). 

Just got my Kindle Fire and tried to download the XFinity app (Android) and I keep getting the msg:  "Could not find that app in the Amazon Appstore for Android at this time" . I get this same msg no matter what site I use to try and downoad the app (i.e. market.android.com, www.androidapps.com etc) 

Are their any plans to offer this app for the Amazon Kindle Fire????

New Visitor
old-john

Re: XFinity App for Amazon Kindle Fire (Android OS 2.3).

Kindle Fire can display the Comcast.net page in mobile mode. On the the Fire >get a web page - on the bottom you tap the menu icon >settings - then scroll to get "desktop or mobile view setting - then tap this > select: optimize for mobile view. Then go back to a web page for Comcast.net(or type new search for this) on the Fire. This will give you the Comcast mobile view screen on Fire. There is a Comcast list you can select one at a time like news, email, tv line up, etc., select which one you want to view. But by selecting mobile web view on the Fire this will make all web pages be in mobile view. Unless you want this you will have to reset the kindle Fire back to automatically select desktop or mobile view each time you view Comcast.net. I guess an application that would work for Comcast.net will be best. I don't know if you can view the movie section and watch them streaming or not. It would be nice to be able to do this on the Fire as the prime Amazon movies are great on the Fire.

Contributor
BC8320

Yes I can access the Comcast.com web page, however the Xfinity app does alot more.  You can control multiple Cable TV boxes, and change channels like a TV remote (in addition to just viewing the listings or setting up the DVR via the web site)..

Connection Expert
JamesR

Don't know if my experience will help you because I am running Android 3.2 but, what I ddo is go to Cocast.net and scroll cown to the lower right and tap on "Full". Then I run the pages just like I do on my olaptop.
Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

A compatible version will be coming soon. thanks for your patience

New Visitor
old-john

I am new to these mobile applications as I just learned how to add the Comcast email on my wife's AT&T pay-as-you go phone as an add-on to check Comcast email. The kindle Fire is my first tablet and found they all use the Android os systems expect for IPad. I was use to the computers - desk & laptop/notebook - and their os and these terms for the mobile are new to me: such as applications which you use a good bit on the mobile phones to do everything with. Seems similiar to downloads for the computer. 

When the new OS 2.3 update for the Fire comes out will it be similiar to the regular Comcast.net page on the computer where you can go to Infinity movies and play them for free using your password for the paid subscriptions ( On-demand HBO, Starz)?  I like the Queue, that Comcast has, to save the movies you look up since it takes a while to go through the movie selections. I usually stream them to my notebook and use the HDMI plugs to play on my lcdtv set since this was the easiest/cheapest way to do this for me. It would be nice to watch the Comcast movies on the Fire as I have a multi-angle case to hold the Fire sideways and a small external speaker which I put in the headphone jack for good external sound.

This gives me a personal movie experience on the kitchen table while I do something else and takes up very little room and is portable.   

New Visitor
Calvin-and-Amy

You won't find it in the Amazon market because Amazon hasn't gotten around to testing it yet, but I can verify that the current version of the Xfinity Tv app does work on a Kindle Fire.

What you have to do is find the .apk installer package for the Xfinity Tv app, and download it to your Fire. In your Fire settings, go to "Device," and make sure the "Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources" is set to "On." Then go to your "downloads" folder and open the .apk you downloaded, and it should install and function just fine. Make sure you go back to the Device menu and switch that option to "Off" when you are finished.

This process is called "sideloading." It is not illegal, and will not break your Fire warranty in any way.

Maybe if Comcast would provide the .apk file, this would be a temporary solution until they and Amazon produce a tried and tested version of the app for the Fire.

New Visitor
brooks5000

Thanks for posting this.  Problem I'm having is acutally finding the .apk installer package.  I'm searching the app store on my fire and can't find it anywhere.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Contributor
BC8320

"Thanks for posting this.  Problem I'm having is acutally finding the .apk installer package.  I'm searching the app store on my fire and can't find it anywhere.  Any suggestions?"

Ditto--- My thoughts as well.  I have not been able to find the apk pkg either.

New Visitor
Yacano

Contributor
BC8320

Try here:

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.comcast.ottclient&feature=related_apps

No joy:  That site does not let you download an app unless you have an Android device.

New Visitor
hyelev

[ Edited ]

Aswsome, thanks for your post ComcastKchahal.

I just boght a Fire for my father for Christmas and it would be much easier for him to manage Comcast voicemails with the Fire than from his standard phone.  

Hopefully this will be available through the curated Amazon app store...  Thanks!

Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

As i mentioned earlier - you won;t be able to find the xFinity mobile app on your kind amazon market store because the app is not compatible with Kindle fire yet. We are working on it and will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Contributor
zekedickinson

this will allow the application to be used far more by comast customers. please keep us updated with progress on this thanks

Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

Will do.

New Visitor
Breezybealle

[ Edited ]

I found the .apk here. ....Whether it works or not has yet to be determined, so I can't personally guarantee that it's legit.

http://search.4shared.com/postDownload/BOoAJfJo/comxfinitytv.html 

Contributor
zekedickinson

any chance of an update on this issue?  Very important for the millions of people who have bought the product....also, what can you tell me about HBO go compatability. Thank you.

New Visitor
dmahler99

that worked on my kindle fire.  very cool.   thanks

here are a few issues (it works only "portrait"), and an occasional crash.   i look forward to the officially blessed version. 

it is worth it if only to change the channel from another room  - heh  - and then of course to be able to drop in recordings.  

now - when will I be able to stream from my dvr to my kindle?   now that would be cool. 

Visitor

Where is the "download" folder on a Kindle Fire? I'm trying to install XFinity TV app too

New Visitor

When do you think it will appear on the amazon android appstore?

Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

No definite timelines yet.  Teams are working on it, will let you know when i have an update

Official Employee
XfinityKchahal
New Visitor
Badlouie

Available yet??

New Visitor

So there will be an app on the Amazon app store because all I know is that the "Amazon Android app store" is completely different than the "Android market" itself.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastKchahal wrote:

A compatible version will be coming soon. thanks for your patience

Update please.
Contributor
zekedickinson

yes, it would be helpful if there is a expected time frame on xfinity compatability from Comcast.

New Visitor
gomezz

any updates? is the project still under development?  would love to use this app on my kindle fire.

New Visitor
lshic71

I had to take my kindle fire to my tech guy. He couldn't figure it out either so he called Amazon. Come to find out comcast and Amazon are incompatible.  Amazon engineers are "working on it". But they sure know about as i called and complained. Anyway, my tech downloaded the Exfinity mobile app and now email works ok with some "not responding" glitches. My problem is I can't figure how to sync my kindle email to my computer. Get that mobile app on it and it will be fine.

lshic

New Visitor
Dukers314

I was able to download the xfinity app.  When I tried to set up for a program to be recorded on my dvr - I tried to log in using my comcast email address and pw and keep getting message "incorrect pw or email".  Anyone know what is going on

Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

Dukers - are you on Xfinity mobile app or XfinityTV app ?

Dukers314 wrote:

I was able to download the xfinity app.  When I tried to set up for a program to be recorded on my dvr - I tried to log in using my comcast email address and pw and keep getting message "incorrect pw or email".  Anyone know what is going on

Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

lshic71 wrote:

I had to take my kindle fire to my tech guy. He couldn't figure it out either so he called Amazon. Come to find out comcast and Amazon are incompatible.  Amazon engineers are "working on it". But they sure know about as i called and complained. Anyway, my tech downloaded the Exfinity mobile app and now email works ok with some "not responding" glitches. My problem is I can't figure how to sync my kindle email to my computer. Get that mobile app on it and it will be fine.

lshic

We don't support the Kindle Fire yet. Teams are working on it, but there are no definite timelines as currently Amazon kindle does not offer any solutions for proactive notifications. Will keep everyone updated.

New Visitor
hyelev

Perhaps you could release a version without 'proactive notifications' until such time as that is available - I would really love to check my voicemail from the Fire since doing it from a regular phone is a bit of a hassel...  Thanks!

Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

We completely understand that and will keep you updated once we have more information.

Contributor
zekedickinson

to ComcastKchahal

It is quite frustrating to see how long the same answer has been offered by Comcast-to the point where it seems frankly a bit disengenuous. I've seen in this forum from a subscriber that xfinity is essentially noncompatable with the fire (am not sure if this is true with other android devices).  Is that the case and if so, is there an expected work around or no?  Could you please provide a little more concrete information regarding whether comcast is planning or able to address this problem or not since it has been so long that we been hearing"we are working on it" without any progress.  I do appreciate that comcast moderates and comments on their customers concerns and trust that there will be some more straightforward information forthcoming. Thank you!

Contributor
BC8320

I opened this thread on Nov 23 2011. I had no idea then, that it would have taken this long.

Contributor
zekedickinson

yes, get the feeling that we are being strung along on an issue that is either not fixable, or is low priority.  I would think they would want us, the subscribers, to have more access to their service......this may simply be another example of getting what you pay for (i.e.kindle vs Ipad......)

New Visitor
gomezz

from what I have experienced.  The kindle has 1 purpose. To consume products and services from Amazon.  Any application that can provide service like TV or Movies  is unwanted, unsupported, or blocked.  The HBOGO application is a great example. It ran perfectly on my kindle fire. The recent update disabled it.  I blame Amazon not comcast for it not working.

New Visitor
jomiller

I have been round and round with several comcast CSR's via phone calls.  some say this is being resolved, others say this will neer happen!  could someone from Comcast who knows what is going on please update all of us Kindle Fire users who would like to stop wishing we had bought iPads (Comcast works with them!)

Contributor
konvajw

Hope the apps for the Kindle Fire are coming soon.  Would be really nice to have for all of us Kindle Fire customers using Comcast.

New Visitor
CourtReporter7

[ Edited ]

Apparently "soon" is a relative term, as it's been well over four months since this post, and still there is no XFinity app for the Kindle Fire. :/  Patience is all well and good, but a little more actual information and a little less vagueness would be greatly appreciated by your customers.

Contributor
BC8320

Helloooo.... COMCAST---Anybody out there???

New Visitor
jomiller

AMEN!  It would also be helpful if every CSR contacted by phone didn't give an entirely different version of the same story!!!

Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

Okay - for all those users waiting patiently about the app being compatible with Kindle Fire. I can once again clarify that the app is not compatible right now and is being worked upon. There is no definite date. 

Apparently Kindle fire has a lot of limitations and does not allow app developers to use many native google Android API.  It does not support the Google Push (C2DM) service that allows us to notify users about new text messaging as they arrive. Many developers have complained about this to Amazon. We are trying to find solutions and a tablet version that will work on Kindle.

Contributor
zekedickinson

thanks for the update...does Comcast have any relationship they can exploit with Amazon (i.e. are they being cooperative to help make xfinity available), or does it appear that any app development relating to xfinity is unwelcome by them?  If so then it would seem that they are trying to maintain the device as propriatery to Amazon-developed or business partner apps only. We all appreciate that you are saying that teams are working on this, but what does 'working' actually mean.  Is there in fact any open communication between the two companies?  thank you

Contributor
konvajw

How about just the basic Xfinity TV app?  Would be nice to have that to view TV listings and ability to change channels from the kindle fire.  Sounds like that might be easier app for kindle fire than the full Xfinity Mobile app (with txts, etc.)  I'll take something vs. nothing for the kindle fire.

Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

zeckdickinson/konwajaw- the answer is yes. At this point this is the information that i have. I will update as i hear back from the team.

Contributor
BC8320

Konvajw:  Great Suggestion.  Don't let "Perfect" get in the way of "Good"

Contributor
zekedickinson

yes, I would dearly like to run the HBOgo app as well.  The fact it was working beforfe the "update" occured seemst to prove that Amazon sucks!

Official Employee
ComcastKchahal

zekedickinson wrote:

yes, I would dearly like to run the HBOgo app as well.  The fact it was working beforfe the "update" occured seemst to prove that Amazon sucks!

I second your concern.
New Visitor
c2lou1

Define soon. Your first response that you were working on a compatible app was back in November of 2011. How about putting a little more priority on finding a solution that works for loyal Comcast customers.