New Visitor

8 commercials to watch 1 news video.REALLY??

Oh, my gosh, I guess I'll be moving to Google to see video news clips because

I have no intention of sitting thru 7 or 8 commercial adv videos ever again just to see 1 clip.

So ridiculous. I'm ready to exit the whole Xfinity experience.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Re: 8 commercials to watch 1 news video.REALLY??

nanna9 wrote:

I have no intention of sitting thru 7 or 8 commercial adv videos ever again just to see 1 clip.

What specific video are you trying to watch? I would like to further investigate this.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Visitor

Shark Tank video on Home page, this morning

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

nanna9 wrote:

Shark Tank video on Home page, this morning

If you are referring to the Shark Tank video about the PlateTopper, two 30 second ads should play before that part of the episode starts plus any commercials that appear in the episode after that.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
Major5385

nanna9 wrote:

Great Question!  I want to go one step further; why any commercials.  We pay a nice fee for the internet, should cover the cost of posting a video...

TV is now 5 min of program followed by 5 min of commercials; and it goes that way for the entire hour...

At my age, it has its advantages; I get some nice short naps!

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Major5385 wrote:
Great Question!  I want to go one step further; why any commercials.  We pay a nice fee for the internet, should cover the cost of posting a video...

TV is now 5 min of program followed by 5 min of commercials; and it goes that way for the entire hour...

At my age, it has its advantages; I get some nice short naps!

To have the rights to put most shows online (or on the TV for that matter) we are required by the owners of those shows to put in ads. That's just the nature of the business. If we did not show the ads, simply we would not have the shows at all. The content owners would not give it to us and you could not watch them at all. You will notice that when you watch the same shows on TV they have ads, in many cases much more ads than we play online.

Some of our premium partners like HBO, Showtime, Encore, Cinemax and Starz all have ad free business models so you can watch their shows and movies without interruption.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
Major5385

Thanks for the reply Joe.  I understand the nature of the business; however I am like nana, I think it is just too much.  I remember the good old days when the FCC limited the time that could be spent on commercials, aka ADS per each thirty minutes of show time!  I am 77 years old and remember our very first TV.  It only had a test signal; but I watched it AD free:smileycool:

Regular Contributor
somebody_else_

Major..I hear you!! But there is SO much money at stake now that everyone is trying to eek out just a bit more. And the sad thing is...We as consumers are responsible for that. If we quit watching the drivel that passes as TV no one would want to advertise on it and ads would be reduced greatly. As I said in another post. Ads follow the people. Always been that way. Will remain that way.

New Visitor
Major5385

somebody_else_ wrote:

Major..I hear you!! But there is SO much money at stake now that everyone is trying to eek out just a bit more. And the sad thing is...We as consumers are responsible for that. If we quit watching the drivel that passes as TV no one would want to advertise on it and ads would be reduced greatly. As I said in another post. Ads follow the people. Always been that way. Will remain that way.

Sombody-else, you are so right!  I am house bound with disabilities from combat; having served in Korea,The Cuban Crisis and Vietnam.  I spend my waking hours on the Internet,TV and radio, with my number one interest being news.  Sometimes the drivel can blindside you as the commericals do.........

I normally just read watch and listen, KEEPING MY OPINIONS TO MYSELF; however, nana's comment hit a nerve and I expressed myself.  Should have stuck to my habit and kept quiet!

But, by making a comment, you brought me back to reality.  Thank you!

New Visitor
bndunc

I'm with you.  The service costs enough that subscribers should not have to put up with this~~~

Contributor

Amen brother!