Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Community Forum closed December 16th - discuss here

For poorly explained reasons and in an abrupt and awkward way, Comcast closed its Community Forum on Friday, December 16th. When they closed the forum, they redirected the community forum to the thread here in the help forum where the impending closure was announced on November 23rd. That is not helpful.

I started this thread to move all of that discussion to this thread and leave that "landing link" mostly discussion-free. I did not do this to supress discussion. I did it to help people from the community forum find an explanation.

Note that there is a new forum created by your community forum friends.

It is free and not affiliated with Comcast. You'll find over 200 former community forum members there: 

http://coffeeshop.forumotion.com

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: NOTICE: The XFINITY Community Forums will close in the middle of December.

Hello,

Just my opinion closing this xfinity community forum is a bad decision.

Service Expert
Again

Shouldn't this be posted in the Community Forums instead of the Help Forums?

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Unless it has been posted there within the last 15 to 20 minutes there was no mention of it in the community forum. OR if it was there I missed it.

I certainly hope those who post there don't come here whining and complaining about it.

Eric, when in the middle of December?

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Official Employee
ComcastEric

It will be posted up in the Community Forums as well, probably later today.  There isn't a more exact date though, just mid-December.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ComcastEric wrote: The XFINITY Community Forums will close in the middle of December. ...

Does "Community Forums" include these "Help and Support Forums"?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

No. The community forum is a separate entity.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Queen-Evie wrote: No. The community forum is a separate entity.

I know that, and you know that, but does Comcast know that?

Service Expert
Again

BruceW wrote:

Queen-Evie wrote: No. The community forum is a separate entity.

I know that, and you know that, but does Comcast know that?

Yes, Comcast is quite aware of that.  The Community forums are "staffed" by Lithium employees, while the Help Forums have Comcast employees and the "experts".

--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

andyross wrote:

I refuse to use Twitter or have my life stolen on Facebook. With eliminating the customizable MyComast home page, and now this, it's obvious Comcast doesn't care about helping it's customers.

andyross, Your post was removed because it violated the posting guidelines when you disguised a 4 letter no-no word.

I changed it in the quote.

HOW does the community forum help customers? It doesn't.

Comcast Community Forums are your place to post your thoughts on current news and events and to kick back and meet new friends with similar interests

Service Expert
Again

FWIW, the Community Forums were borne from the Help Forums.

--- Lao Tzu ---

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Illegitimate offspring, at that.

Regular Problem Solver
johkal

Unfortunately for this forum, the Direct Foum via DSLreports.com attended by sanctioned Comcast employees is the foremost resource for helping customers.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

You are talking about the board over there that if you are not the original poster, then you cannot see the answer/response??? 

"You cannot read topics created by other members in this forum"

Yes, that seems like a really foremost resource to me.  :smileyconfused:

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Regular Problem Solver
johkal

Sarcasm noted. The Comcast forum alone is an invaluable source of Comcast employees, network experts & a whole host of knowledgeable members.. The Direct Comcast forum manned by Comcast employees is accessible only to the customer asking for help. Personal customer information can be posted by request to speed resolution to the customer by Comcast experts.

New Visitor
Musiconb

Queen-Evie wrote:

andyross wrote:

I refuse to use Twitter or have my life stolen on Facebook. With eliminating the customizable MyComast home page, and now this, it's obvious Comcast doesn't care about helping it's customers.

andyross, Your post was removed because it violated the posting guidelines when you disguised a 4 letter no-no word.

I changed it in the quote.

HOW does the community forum help customers? It doesn't.

Comcast Community Forums are your place to post your thoughts on current news and events and to kick back and meet new friends with similar interests

While it is 100% true the Community Forums don't "help" Comcast users, for thousands of Comcast users, it has become more than just a bulletin board.  These communities have developed far beyond that.  As a Comcast subscriber of many years, I have come to "know" a lot of people I never would have met.  People that have enriched my life.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Closing these forums, and forcing people to use other social media that they are either unfamiliar with, or don't want to use, does show a certain lack of empathy toward the customers.  I realize Comcast has a business to run, but, at some point, they need to take customer satisfaction into account.  This is just my personal feeling, but I believe closing these forums could affect Comcast's bottom line.  There are several choices for high speed internet access, now.  Comcast isn't the only show in town anymore.  What I'm afraid Comcast doesn't realize is that these Communities have become just that, communities.  They have become integrated into people's daily lives.  They have become important to people.  Does Comcast really want to take away what thousands of customers view as an integral part of their Comcast subsctription?

This is just one person's opinion, but I don't think I am that far off base.

Thank you for your time,

Eric Bailey

Punta Gorda, FL

Visitor

I agree.  With all the choices out their for internet (most a lot cheaper) the forums have been part of why I have stayed with Comcast.  This will most likely be the the last straw for me.  Quest and Direct TV, here I come!

Musiconb wrote:

While it is 100% true the Community Forums don't "help" Comcast users, for thousands of Comcast users, it has become more than just a bulletin board.  These communities have developed far beyond that.  As a Comcast subscriber of many years, I have come to "know" a lot of people I never would have met.  People that have enriched my life.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Closing these forums, and forcing people to use other social media that they are either unfamiliar with, or don't want to use, does show a certain lack of empathy toward the customers.  I realize Comcast has a business to run, but, at some point, they need to take customer satisfaction into account.  This is just my personal feeling, but I believe closing these forums could affect Comcast's bottom line.  There are several choices for high speed internet access, now.  Comcast isn't the only show in town anymore.  What I'm afraid Comcast doesn't realize is that these Communities have become just that, communities.  They have become integrated into people's daily lives.  They have become important to people.  Does Comcast really want to take away what thousands of customers view as an integral part of their Comcast subsctription?

This is just one person's opinion, but I don't think I am that far off base.

Thank you for your time,

Eric Bailey

Punta Gorda, FL

Visitor

Nope will not keep comcast.. BYE!!

Contributor

Too bad. The forums were one of my main reasons for having Comcast service. Maybe I'll shop around and see if there are other offers which are now better.

What Comcast may not realize is that "following on twitter" and "liking on facebook" is not the same, and that many people avoid those silly venues like the plague.

Tunerfish? Seriously? I hate most movies anyway, and I'd rather saw off my own leg than to "share what I'm watching" and "post reviews and recommendations" about a bunch of stupid movies.

If this is some sort of a cost-cutting measure, did Comcast ever think to ask whether or not people might be willing to pay a nominal charge to continue the service?

I think it is a bad move, and I strongly urge Comcast to reconsider.

ComcastEric wrote:

The XFINITY Community Forums will close in the middle of December.

To stay connected to us and other Xfinity.com and XfinityTV users, please follow us on Twitter and "Like" us on Facebook. For issues with your XFINITY service, please visit our Help & Support site.

TV and movie lovers could also interact with each other on Tunerfish, a social community where fans can share what they’re watching, post reviews and find recommendations.

We appreciate your involvement in the XFINITY Community Forums and hope you continue to engage with us and other users as we move our conversations to the aforementioned social venues.

Thank you.

New Visitor
TheCrow

As soon as the forums close, I am done with Xfinity. There are plenty of Web sitesand providers,  that do not have Infinity connections and we can return the favors. Corporations need to realize that their bottom line also depends on the publics perception  of value received.  Forums do not make the world go around, but they do entertain me, so taking that away, takes away a service.  Whoever came up with that idea, is not an asset to Comcast or Xfinity. It will cost money in the long run. We do have options, and I may be just one customer, but you will lose what loyalty I had left, as a long time satisfied Comcast customer.  Good luck.

Contributor

TheCrow wrote:

As soon as the forums close, I am done with Xfinity. There are plenty of Web sitesand providers,  that do not have Infinity connections and we can return the favors. Corporations need to realize that their bottom line also depends on the publics perception  of value received.  Forums do not make the world go around, and I may be just one customer, but you will lose what loyalty I had left, as a long time satisfied Comcast customer.  Good luck.

I'm with you TheCrow........we kept Comcast as our tv and internet provider strictly for my continued access to the Forums......dug my heels in when hubby wanted to change to a cheaper provider!  Getting close to my fifth year there, and have made some dear friends, even meeting quite a few of them in person.  When the closure comes, I will not have any loyalty left for Comcast.  In hindsight, we might have seen this coming with the onset of Xfinity.....the bigger the company, the less they care about the customer.  I have also sensed some hostility in this thread from the Comcast employees who posted here.....not sure why, but get the feeling they will not be unhappy to see us go.......really sad!  Fewer customers, fewer jobs maybe....Have they thought of that?

Visitor

The thing i kept is the internet like you i told my wife we kep it. But now i really have to choose. Only kept it for the forums mostly switched everything else because of cost.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the beginning of the "invasion" from the other forumI am so disappointed to read the comments made here by service professionals of ComcastDo you think that we as customers need to read derisive comments about us as well as having the forums closed down with no real notification from anyone?

We as paying customers of Comcast deserve your respect and I think an apology is due to us as wellI also think Comcast needs to rethink what they are doingIf they read the postings on the Community Forums, they will see that there are many upset customers who plan to leave Comcast for other providers since one of the things that held them as a customer was access to the Community Forums.

Expect more "whiners and complainers".  I hope you receive an onslaught of themWe are more than upset by what is happeningIt was indeed a true community and people deserve more than what they have gotten from Comcast after many years of loyal support and bill paying.

I am a first time poster to the Help Forums but I have been with the Community Forums for almost 4 years and have been a Customer of Comcast for many years prior to joining the forumsI am considering switching.

I have over 35,000 posts in the Community Forums and have spent much time on your siteWe want answersWe would like Comcast to reconsider this decisionWe deserve to be heardDo not swat us off like flies buzzing around your head.

This is your Thanksgiving gift to your customersWhat a kick in the teeth!:womanmad:

Regular Contributor

As Naddie used to say, "EEEGADS AND LITTLE CAT FISHIES".   If she were still with us, she would be saying "Told You So!"  As a member of the previous Help and Community Forums from five years ago, we went through the same thing.  I see some very familiar user names here in this forum who are still offering help and support out of the goodness of their hearts.  I know you all would remember our Naddie.  Maybe even me...Lil_Sis.  Naddie said, before she passed in 2009 that the lithium forums would last as long as our "old" Help and Community forums.  She was right. 

I wonder if anyone in the current Community Forums realizes that all of those who "Help" in this forum are paying customers, just as they are and not employees of Comcast.  (Except for admins and mods).  I also wonder if any of them know that if it were not for some of the people who help in this forum, the Community Forums would not exist.  About eight years ago those of us who were a part of the Help Forums begged the Comcast powers that be, to give us a little spin off community from the Help Forum so we could discuss things other than help.  It was a huge success!  So much so, that Comcast shut us down and opened the huge lithium ran forums. 

For those of you from the current Community Forums we empathize with you, but please remember, it happened to us too.  This is a Help Forum...don't step onto these pages and complain to those who went through this long before you have.  Those who have helped here for so many years are paying customers, just like you are and are kind enough to spend a lot of time here helping others.  Take your complaints to the right people...those who work for Comcast and not those customers who volunteer their time here to help.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was where the notification was posted and nowhere else.  There doesn't seem to be any concern on the part of Comcast for the Community whatsoever.  This seems like a good place to let them know how we feel since the message was posted here.

As for the people who "help" customers and are not actually employees, I am sure they have offered assistance to those who need it; however, some of the comments in this thread are downright mean with regard to the people who post in the Community Forums and do not seem helpful whatsoever.  There is a bit of a "better than thou art" attitude permeating some of the comments and as customers from other areas do come here and read them it would seem that they should also be part of the forum guidelines and not insult others with their posts, especially since I do think that most people are unaware that they are not actual employees and especially in consideration of what is happening.  If they went through this before, then their attitude should certainly be one of kindness and NOT one of being condescending toward those "people from the other forums".

I know nothing about the previous change since I was not here at the time but that has nothing to do with the current feelings of people who post here and there are many MORE customers now I am sure than there were back then.  Their feelings have not been taken into consideration because they have NOT been given a place to let Comcast know what they think with regard to what is happening.

Even the moderators in the Community Forums appear to have been left in the dark.  The Help Forums are for customers to come when they have a problem and can't find the answer elsewhere.  Well, Huston, we have a problem and we would like to see someone address it.  Several members have tried telephoning Comcast about this and have gotten absolutely nowhere in the process.  They get standard meaningless answers that tell them nothing.

So, here we are, in the Help Forums looking for answers and "help".  Seems logical and oh so right to me.

Lil_SisToo wrote:

As Naddie used to say, "EEEGADS AND LITTLE CAT FISHIES".   If she were still with us, she would be saying "Told You So!"  As a member of the previous Help and Community Forums from five years ago, we went through the same thing.  I see some very familiar user names here in this forum who are still offering help and support out of the goodness of their hearts.  I know you all would remember our Naddie.  Maybe even me...Lil_Sis.  Naddie said, before she passed in 2009 that the lithium forums would last as long as our "old" Help and Community forums.  She was right. 

I wonder if anyone in the current Community Forums realizes that all of those who "Help" in this forum are paying customers, just as they are and not employees of Comcast.  (Except for admins and mods).  I also wonder if any of them know that if it were not for some of the people who help in this forum, the Community Forums would not exist.  About eight years ago those of us who were a part of the Help Forums begged the Comcast powers that be, to give us a little spin off community from the Help Forum so we could discuss things other than help.  It was a huge success!  So much so, that Comcast shut us down and opened the huge lithium ran forums. 

For those of you from the current Community Forums we empathize with you, but please remember, it happened to us too.  This is a Help Forum...don't step onto these pages and complain to those who went through this long before you have.  Those who have helped here for so many years are paying customers, just like you are and are kind enough to spend a lot of time here helping others.  Take your complaints to the right people...those who work for Comcast and not those customers who volunteer their time here to help.

Contributor

The forums have become a part of my daily life, as much as my email, my work that I do at times online , I can find what I need at a cheaper rate than what I pay Comcast but I didnt change, because I discovered the forums , I've met many wonderful people there, gotten advice , told how to do things where to find things, laughed cried , it became a major part of my daily routine. I contacted Comcast but got that same run around when I asked if the "rumor" was true..I pay Comcast ...dont i deserve to know what I'm paying for and if I will continue to get what I pay for ??? A direct answer...when I speak to someone on the phone or do a live chat ?? I can get my internet services for a lot less money , I will be looking elsewhere should the forums close , I havent been happy with Comcast in quite awhile but I kept them , because of the forums , in December I could be a former customer

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

Of course we remember you, Lil Sis.  And Naddie is still never far from my thoughts.  Sounds like she's been vindicated.

After all the grief that Comcast a.k.a Lithium put us through to split our community forum off to its current form, it's now official.  They've lost their collective minds.

I note that still they haven't been bothered to post the coming demise on the community forums.  Pathetic.  You community folks are most welcome to post your well founded indignation here, as far as I'm concerned, although I don't think it's going to help.  Comcast has pretty much abandoned this forum, as well, and I doubt they'll be watching this thread.

Contributor

I really don't understand the secrecy behind this..theres nothing posted in the forums themselves , you can call or email Comcast and no one knows anything ,, Who does know ???  Why doesnt anyone I've talked with know what I'm talking about ?? They work for Comcast , I'd just like an honest answer from someone ...they'll hear me but probably wont care when I call to cancel my service

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ComcastEric wrote: The XFINITY Community Forums will close ...

Why?

Contributor

I really have to laugh, Comcast finally answered my email with a link  to this ...does that answer any questions ....NO Comcast it doesnt and no one here can give you a straight answer either ..why hasnt anything been posted in the forums to explain why or to offer an explanation to  the people that belong to them, we shouldnt have to come here , sorry but this is where we've been directed , where the only "official" notice concerning the closure of the forums originated , I just dont understand

Email Expert
Latoque

gizziesmom wrote:

I really have to laugh, Comcast finally answered my email with a link  to this ...does that answer any questions ....NO Comcast it doesnt and no one here can give you a straight answer either ..why hasnt anything been posted in the forums to explain why or to offer an explanation to  the people that belong to them, we shouldnt have to come here , sorry but this is where we've been directed , where the only "official" notice concerning the closure of the forums originated , I just dont understand

gizziesmom-----my post immediately above yours just vanished.  Did you see it?  I posted 13 minutes before you did.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor
maybenot

ComcastEric wrote:

To stay connected to us and other Xfinity.com and XfinityTV users, please follow us on Twitter and "Like" us on Facebook. For issues with your XFINITY service, please visit our Help & Support site.

TV and movie lovers could also interact with each other on Tunerfish, a social community where fans can share what they’re watching, post reviews and find recommendations.

We appreciate your involvement in the XFINITY Community Forums and hope you continue to engage with us and other users as we move our conversations to the aforementioned social venues.

Thank you.

Eric, I realize you are probably not the person who made this decision, but you are who I can reach to complain to.

Suggesting Twitter and Facebook as replacements for the Forums is an insult.  I am on the Forum because I don't like Twitter and Facebook.  I have no intention of using them, ever.

I am unhappy that we got only a round-about notice of the closing, but mostly I am angry that you are giving us a reduction in the services you offer us (the most important one, to my mind) but we will not see a reduction in rates.  The money Comcast/Xfinity saves will go directly into their pockets.

To add insult to injury, my rates were just raised.   So------more money for less service?  Nice for Comcast.   For me------------not so much.

Since the Forums were 99% of why I have stayed with Comcast, and since that reason will now disappear, I may disappear also.  I realize I am not your only customer and my leaving will be a drop in the bucket, but I am hoping there will be MANY drops-----enough to overflow it.  I may not be your only customer, but you are also not my only source for computer service.   

Official Employee
ComcastEric

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Notice was supposed to be posted to the Community forums at the same time this went up on Wednesday,  so I apologize to those of you who found out about it from this post.  That announcement should be up today.

Comcast does actively monitor these Help forums though, so your concerns are being heard.

At this time, there isn't any additional information that can be shared though.

Eric

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

Latoque wrote:

ComcastEric wrote: The XFINITY Community Forums will close in the middle of December.

Thank you.

No thank you Eric---really---- for dropping this grenade in the wrong forums to start with, instead of putting it over in Community Forums where it belongs, and where the people are who will be affected by it might want to know about it.

Would you care to enlighten us all on just why Comcast is dropping this [unsavory object] in the punch bowl?  A very large number of people are majorly [upset] about this, in case you haven't noticed.

Such eloquence deserves a second chance.  :smileywink:

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

ComcastEric wrote:

Thank you.

Visitor
ol_fart

So, Comcast is trying to do what Netflix tried.  They ate crow.  Good bye Comcast.  There's other boys on the block.  Remember, the consumer rules in the end.

Visitor

Has anyone been give a reason for this? A real one.

Service Expert
Again

Terminal wrote:

Has anyone been give a reason for this? A real one.

What has been posted here is all that we know at this time.  A lot of us were just as surprised as the members of the Community Forums over this announcement, and it may be Monday before anyone gives out more information than we have now.  Nothing like having a bombshell dropped before a long holiday weekend with little to no information about it.  :smileysad:

--- Lao Tzu ---

Visitor

[ Edited ]

Eric and the Comcast/Xfinity Decision Makers.

I have been a comcast customer for 10 years and have been very pleased with my service.   I feel I am getting a quality product, prompt service and support, and monitored forums at a reasonable price.  I have recommended Comcast to numerous colleagues and friends because of those reasons, and in fact changed to Comcast at my place of employment.  

The forums you provide are unique in that they are a generally safe and pleasant place to chat, and talk about life in general with one another.  I don't worry that some crazy person will attack me, or track me down because you do a consistent and deligent job in moderating inappropriate behavoriors and content.  

Please don't remove this outlet from me as I've come to enjoy it and the people there so very much.  I don't want to go to another forum and frankly I don't think I would feel as secure in another place.   Comcast/Xfinity has provided me with a great experience and I am saddened that it may not exist any longer, both for myself, and all forum members.  I call these members friends, to you they are customers.  Please spend some time revising your decision to shut down the forums.   As you can see there are many distraught customers in these forums.  I am one.  Thank you.   ~11herbsandspices (even though it says runswithforks)  

Contributor

Latoque..I did see it and it did sit there for quite awhile, I had looged off this am and went back on and I saw it then also but now its gone....strange

Connection Expert
JamesR

gizziesmom wrote:

Latoque..I did see it and it did sit there for quite awhile, I had looged off this am and went back on and I saw it then also but now its gone....strange

Probably deleted for non-compliance with Forum Guidelines Sticky.
New Visitor

Once again, Comcast makes a bad decision and communicates it poorly. Unfortunate, but very typical of a poorly managed organization.  

Visitor

TO: XFINITY Community Forums Director  

RE: Forum closure.

Being a loyal triple play customer for many years and also a business account holder, I feel the worst thing about any of this, is your lack of caring and gross unprofessional conduct where your "Valued customers" are concerned. With out slinging mud, I would just like to express how appalled I honestly am over your companies conduct. REALLY ???  Just some obscure little post about all of this from some ComcastEric is honestly how you are going to treat us??  REALLY?????    

Visitor
spiderlegs

I want to lend my voice to the decision makers, whomever they are. The community forums are an integral part of why so many are still with Comcast. They provide a place for people to discuss just about anything they want to, within the guidelines, and have become a large part of peoples lives. Friends are made, support and love are given and everyone keeps Comcast because of the forums. I love my Comcast service and don't want to leave but if Comcast doesn't care about this many people who have been faithful customers and paid for it, I wonder what else will change and when. I don't feel secure about Comcast now.

If this forum closing happens, why would any of stay when we can get cheaper services?

Please reconsider this decision. Everyone wants to keep the forum. Don't make us leave. Please!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

ComcastEric wrote:

Hi all,

Notice was supposed to be posted to the Community forums at the same time this went up on Wednesday,  so I apologize to those of you who found out about it from this post.  That announcement should be up today.

Comcast does actively monitor these Help forums though, so your concerns are being heard.

Eric

Whoever was supposed to post at the same time in the Community forums fell down on the job. A lot of this mess could have been avoided if that person had done what he/she was supposed to done 2 days ago.

New Visitor
-copper_

i"m with everyone else that will move if the forums are closed! i pay a premiun for comcast just to have access to the friends i've made here. this is NOT customer service!

Visitor

Okay...seems Comcast did this on another outlet....so here's my request....IF IT IS NECESSARY TO PLOP US IN WITH ALL FACEBOOK....at least let us sign in or log in with our Comcast Account as an option since I will not have anything to do with Facebook...refuse to participate...IF IT IS REQUIRED TO SIGN IN WITH A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT SOLELY....YOU WILL LOSE MANY OF US....and many will form their own forums (already doing so)...

Visitor

Queen-Evie wrote:

ComcastEric wrote:

Hi all,

Eric

Whoever was supposed to post at the same time in the Community forums fell down on the job. A lot of this mess could have been avoided if that person had done what he/she was supposed to done 2 days ago.

Yes, they did fall down, and now your hopes have been dashed. We are here, and we are complaining, and even doing a bit of whining.

Comcast/Xfinity is certainly within its rights to shut down the community forums, just as I am within my rights to seek other TV/internet/phone service providers.

The biggest issue I have is with the manner in which the change has been communicated. I am not surprised, mind you; it's completely in keeping with Comcast's customer service ethic. As the song says, I used to be disgusted; now I'm just amused.

Contributor

You may not know, or care. But some folks on the forums are handicapped. I'm a L. hemiplegic. At times, the forums are theonly social outlet we have. Cancel the and you can cancel my phone, cable and ISP. Both at home and at work.

Service Expert
Again

ComcastEric wrote:

Hi all,

Eric

Eric, your initial post on the subject was made at 9:31 AM Wednesday morning.  At 11:53 AM I asked about why it was posted here instead of in the Community Forums.  Your reply of "It will be posted up in the Community Forums as well, probably later today." was posted at 12:22 PM.  Obviously it was not posted later on Wednesday.  I asked Admin Tycho about this in PM on Wednesday and he confirmed it, but didn't know why it had not been posted there, either.  It is a long weekend, so this is NOT an announcement that should have been made with little information AND in the wrong forum area, and then left to speculation and uproar in forums that are very important to a great number of people.

Again today, you said "Notice was supposed to be posted to the Community forums at the same time this went up on Wednesday,  so I apologize to those of you who found out about it from this post.  That announcement should be up today."  [It has yet to be posted and might not be until Monday.]

So, first you said it would be posted later on Wednesday, then today you say it should have been posted "at the same time" on Wednesday.  The fact is, you most likely did not know WHEN it would be posted there by Lithium, but in the meantime, the damage has been done.  Once again, Comcast posts information early, in the wrong place, and during a long holiday weekend without any back up information or moderators to answer questions and quell tempers.

A learning experience here.  Never post without appropriate follow-up and support, leaving uninformed "experts"  to run a show that you started and dumped on US without information.

When the CHF was being closed here in favor of starting the Community Forums I was probably the "loudest" protestor here, taking on two managers, one of which became an Admin for the new forums and the other which was somewhat "high" up in the Comcast hierarchy.  My pleas, arguments, and debates were for naught, and the CHF was closed down and the CF was opened.  We were "burned" so to speak and WE learned that any suggestions we might have about making Comcast a better company that offered uniqued services to their customers would fall on deaf ears.  Many of us, however, stayed here to continue offering our "help" services to customers who couldn't get help anywhere else.  Some even do double duty between here and DSLReports. 

Comcast has chosen to focus more on "social" services for outsourcing help: here, Twitter, and DSLReports and its Customer Direct [why does that have to be offered at DSLR instead of Comcast's own site?].  We have long said that if Comcast would send those employees "manning" Twitter here, Comcast would have a better hold over other ISP's in a valuable service offered that isn't offered by them.

I have no clue why the Forums are closing; I do know that this is a decision that really should be re-examined, but I know probably won't.  It's too bad because Comcast uniquely brought customers together from all over its market.  Those forums are big and run by Lithium.  Did Lithium downsize, change focus, decide they needed to pull their employees off the service and so could no longer moderate them; was this financial/contractual?  Could Lithium had modified the forum for more easier management and moderation?

Whatever the reasoning, making an announcement that affects one Community in another and then making [unfulfilled] promises about that annoucement shouldn't have happened before its co-ordination was worked out.  I feel sorry for those members because I understand exactly how they feel and I am sure there are others here that understand it, too.

/stepping off soapbox and putting it back under my desk

--- Lao Tzu ---