New Visitor
Accepted Solution

Firearms and Weapons Advertising Policy

[ Edited ]

I understand that Comcast is no longer carrying advertising from firearms retailers.  I am a sport shooter and I am always interested in knowing where to go to get the best buys in firearms related equipment.  I'd like to know why this policy was put in place.

Recognized Contributor

Re: Advertising discrimination

[ Edited ]

Being that Comcast is a private corporation they can choose who they wish to allow advertising from as long as they don't violate any existing laws. To my knowledge there are no laws preventing them from disallowing firearms advertising  yet.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

[ Edited ]

klharper1 wrote:

I understand that Comcast is no longer carrying advertising from firearms retailers.  I am a sport shooter and I am always interested in knowing where to go to get the best buys in firearms related equipment.  I'd like to know why this policy was put in place.

Consistent with long standing NBC policies, Comcast Spotlight has decided it will not accept new advertising for firearms or weapons moving forward. This policy aligns us with the guidelines in place at many media organizations. 

Since this forum is for help and support of Comcast products, I am locking this thread.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

Recognized Contributor

Comcast Joe

I wholeheartedly support that view.

New Visitor

I'll be looking at alternate suppliers of television and internet services.  Thank you for your prompt reply.

New Visitor
SallyEV

If Comcast is no longer carrying  ads from legitimate gun manufacturers, are you also going to stop carrying gun programming? Your decision to "manage" what I can watch on TV is just another reason why I don't watch most of your programming.

New Visitor

Comcast Pulls All Gun Ads

Comcast pulls all gun ads

First chance I get. Your service will be cancelled. Shame on Comcast, just like the rest of the media, they think they are smart enough to decide which rights are good for the rest of us.

New Visitor
getme

Comcast, the nation's largest cable provider, no longer accepts advertisements
from businesses selling guns.

What is this about? Seems like you are not allowing a legal product to me, what will be next?

New Visitor

Re: Comcast Pulls All Gun Ads

I'm with Coach Mike.  I just found out.  Well Comcast is going to find out the same I find out things from Comcast.  Verizon will tell them.

Recognized Contributor

Re: Comcast Pulls All Gun Ads

This is not a place for politcal statements. It is a help site.

Recognized Contributor

Re: Gun Ads

This is not a place for politcal statements. It is a help site.

New Visitor
LorenzoLama

Advertisment Policies

To exclude for political reasons, a segment of our business community is prejudicial and not in keeping with the trust the public must have in the news and information outlet. It is almost impossible to avoid Comcast and NBC in our life. Manipulation of the public forum is rampant and Comcast's latest move against Sellers of firearms should be seen as the manipulation of the sleeping populace. Sellers of lawful products are harmed by the practice of refusing to accept tasteful ads that allow the companies to grow and support employees.

New Visitor
letfreedomreign

Firearms Advertising

I'm just wondering, since Comcast will no longer run ads for any company that sells firearms, will they also not run any programming that shows the use of firearms?  Well, there goes most of their lineup!!  What leftist marxist hypocrites!!  We have a SECOND AMENDMENT for a REASON... and that gives us the RIGHT to bear arms!  I, for one, will be giving my $170 plus every month to a different cable company from now on!

New Visitor
DahlinChaisson

Anti-American Advert Policy

Since Comcast has chosen to restrict advertisers of lawful firearms businesses, I will be canceling my service just as soon as I can get a different provider.  Comcast should be ashamed of this.  This is not how a freedom-loving organization operates.  Every person within my sphere of influence will be encouraged to do likewise.

New Visitor
davidholewinski

Advertising with Comcast

It is being reported that Comcast has instituted a new policy in which advertising from firearms or weapons providers. Here is the statement that was published:

“Comcast Spotlight has decided it will not accept new advertising for firearms  or weapons moving forward.  This policy aligns us with the guidelines in  place at many media organizations.”

Does this mean Comcast will not accept advertising from knife, hammer, screwdriver producers, and a host of other "weapons" companies as all of the mentioned items are potential weapons or are the powers that be only interested in furthering the destruction of the Second Amendment.

Visitor
charles_3072

Comcast Gun Policy - Hypocrite

How can your broadcasting schedule have so many shows with gun violence and then turn around and ban guns advertising from honest hard working Americans?  If you really cared about guns you would remove all programming with such violence.  I give you 30 days to rescind the policy or I go elsewhere. 

New Visitor
TexasWomen

Comcast will no longer carry commercials for guns or weapons in the Houston area.

[ Edited ]

Way to go, Comcast!  This is a sensible solution to help with the gun violence issues now in our area.  This is a great first step!

Thank you!

New Visitor
Junkware

Re: Comcast will no longer carry commercials for guns or weapons in the Houston area.

Yeah, sure it will. :/

And if they don't want to be hypocrites, they should no longer show any tv show or movie that has a gun in it.
New Visitor
nodak67

Re: Comcast will no longer carry commercials for guns or weapons in the Houston area.

I actually came here to compain ABOUT this policy, Comcast! You will be losing MORE of your subscribers than you will be gaining over this policy - guaranteed! This will not help by any stretch of the imagination! Do you think it's the criminals who all sit around their Tv just waiting for a commercial for a gun shop to come on so they can run down to their corner gun shop to buy one on sale??? If so, you're completely delusional because they buy their guns illegallly! Your commercials stopping will NOT stop illegal activity. You know what it WILL do? It will be hurting your business because all the people in this country who own guns for their own protection, who are strong 2nd Amendment supporters who are angry that YOU have taken it upon yourself to ban a perfectly legal item in this country because of your own personal beliefs....well, then, maybe it's time all of US out here hurt YOU with plain old fashioned disconnects. I have been a loyal customer for 12 yrs. I've resisted going to Dish because I didn't wish to buy new DVRs or deal with a huge switch. Well, maybe it's time to make a statement to your company. I won't be alone, I can guarantee. This fight is too big and too important to all of us this time, Comcast.

And I don't appreciate when i call to complain to find out that my complaint will go nowhere but to sit in my account that I called! And to find out you hide the email address for your company at every click and not even your agents on the phone know where we should send emails??? And to send a physical letter, I have to have your agent help me to google your address because even THEY don't know it?? Wow, GREAT customer service you have set up there. You guys could give a flying RIP what we all think out here, huh? Monopoly at its finest! I hope this rips your company's profits so far apart you're never able to recover from it ever EVER again~ shame on you!

New Visitor
davis149

I have been a Comcast customer about 30 years and I will be looking for another option now.

New Visitor

Banning Firearm Ads

Are you seriously banning ads for firearms and ammo? You are the biggest liberal pieces of garbage along with NBC and MSNBC. So much for freedom of speech - I guess if you don't like the message, you don"t let people hear it.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Re: Banning Firearm Ads

[ Edited ]

Comcast and NBC/MSNBC/Universal are the same company now, the advertising department was merged into the NBC advertising company and follows its corporate policies now.  Those policies do not allow firearms advertisments.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/02/comcast-acquires-full-ownership-of-nbcuniversal-ahead-of-...

"

Comcast acquires full ownership of NBCUniversal ahead of schedule Cable giant buys out General Electric's 49 percent share of media company.

Comcast, the nation's largest cable provider, will consolidate its control over NBCUniversal by buying out the 49 percent of the media company that it doesn't already own. Comcast will pay General Electric $16.7 billion for the shares and shell out $1.4 billion for related real estate, including the iconic 30 Rockefeller Plaza."

Recognized Contributor
little_devil

Re: Banning Firearm Ads

DennyCrane666 wrote:

Are you seriously banning ads for firearms and ammo? You are the biggest liberal pieces of garbage along with NBC and MSNBC. So much for freedom of speech - I guess if you don't like the message, you don"t let people hear it.

Expect comcast rates to rise to make up for lost advertising revenue.

We will wind up paying for it !!!!!!