Contributor
paulprince3

I don't want Easy Solve

I keep getting a pop-up window telling me to install Easy Solve, a new comcast tool. The window gives me the option to download now or to be reminded later, but not the option to refuse the download entirely. How can I make this pop up reminder go away and not come back. I don't want this new tool.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: I don't want Easy Solve

paulprince3 wrote:

I keep getting a pop-up window telling me to install Easy Solve, a new comcast tool. The window gives me the option to download now or to be reminded later, but not the option to refuse the download entirely. How can I make this pop up reminder go away and not come back. I don't want this new tool.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/easysolve-overview/

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Does the pop up happen when on a Comcast page or is it random?

I cannot tell you HOW to stop it, but I can report it to the forum admins. One of them can contact the Easy Solve team and report the issue.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
tommyb618

I got the same popup box and refused it. but what is easy solve anyway? the terms of agreement say comcast can make changes to your computer without your permission. whats that all about !! does anyone know anything about this?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The EasySolve software is sort of a self-help tool to help people diagnose their own problems for the many straightforward things they encounter.

I tried it out one afternoon as a trial a few months ago. I wasn't impressed.

I believe that the full version may allow someone to remotely help you if you allow them to do so. You do need to install some software to have it work. That needs to be done before you have a problem especially if you are having trouble with your internet connection.

I didn't realize it had been released.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

The remote access will not come from Comcast.

If you subscribe to Xfinity Signature Support they are the ones who will be doing the actual trouble-shooting and "fixing".

Signature Support is not Comcast-it is a contracted 3rd party.

I was also a part of the trial and like Beth was not impressed. Stay away from it. It really doesn't do very much. And it doesn't diagnose any problems.

If you don't subscribe to SIgnature Support all it will do is clear out your cache and tell you to fix things that really don't need to be fixed.

It will want to "help" you if you are not connected to the internet but the help will consist of telling you to call Comcast when it is not able to diagnose your problem. The only thing it will diagnose is the modem and ask if you want to reset it.  

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
jjonmi

Yeah I'm getting the same popup, it keeps popping up in my browser asking if I want to install Easy Solve, some kind of Comcast downloaded.  It appears to be a virus of some kind and I wish Comcast would look into this.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

It is not a virus. Easy Solve is a new offering by Comcast. It is beyond me what they hope to accomplish by having a pop-up to install it show up front and center and in your face.

New Visitor
jjonmi

well then how does Comcast get away with putting this popup on my computer?  How can I turn it off?

Contributor
paulprince3

It pops up randomly in a separate dialog box labeled "Comcast Download Manager" with the following text: "An important upgrade is available from the Comcast Desktop Doctor to the NEW Easy Solve application. Do you want to start the upgrade now?"

It then gives me two option buttons - yes and no. If I click on the NO button, another dialogue box opens, also labeled "Comcast Download Manager" with the following text: "The Comcast Desktop Doctor will soon be replaced by Easy Solve - a new tool that will help you get the most from your Comcast service. If you choose not to upgrade, your Desktop Doctor software sill soon be unsupported."

That window offers two buttons: "Upgrade Now" and "Remind me later."

There is no option to refuse the download. While I haven't time it, if I select the "remind me later" button the first dialogue box described above reappears a short time later.

For now, I'm just letting it sit in the background. It's rather annoying, though, for Comcast to try to impose this upgrade on me in such a manner. If you're not going to give me the option to refuse, why even bother with the dialogue boxes at all. Sounds like a process designed by committee, not a thinking individual.

Bronze Problem Solver

Sounds like you may have Comcast Desk Doctor installed.  What happens if you uninstall it?

Contributor
paulprince3

I uninstalled desktop doctor, but the problem remains. What would happen if I uninstalled Comcast Desktop Software. I notice that the icon on the start bar at the bottom of the desktop for the update dialogue box is the same as the icon on the list of applications for Comcast Desktop Software.  What problems might I encounter if I uninstall it?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

You will encounter no problems. Desktop Doctor is an older program that really didn't do much, hasn't been updated in a while, and seeminly abandoned by Comcast.although they still offered it.

There is no reason to have any Comcast software on your computer. None of it is necessary for an internet connection.

Please let us know if uninstalling the software gets rid of the pop-up.

edit to add: Comcast is using Easy Solve as a replacement for Desktop Doctor. However, Easy Solve does not offer some of the features that were available in Desktop Doctor download directly from Comcast and there was no result.

The product most likely is no longer available from Comcast but can still be found in other places such as cnet.com

Which is where I got it from because I am curious to see if I get the Easy Solve pop-up. Also out of curiousity I ran Desktop Doctor and the results prove that Comcast has not updated it in several years.

Here is what it said:

desktop dr.PNG

My operating system is Windows 7 which is not listed in Desktop Doctor. Win7 was released in Oct. 2009. So for at least 2 years there were no DD updates.

So far no pop-ups. I'll give it until tomorrow then uninstall DD.

Contributor
paulprince3

Okay, so uninstalling desktop doctor and the comcast desktop application didn't keep that annoying popup window from reappearing, so here's what I did.

I accepted the download via the dialogue box, but when the actual application installer launched, I was able to cancel at that point. Will be interesting to see if the dialogue box reappears.

New Visitor
jjonmi

How I removed the Comcast "Easy Solve" popup virus

So I finally got this annoying popup to disappear.  Here's what I found out:  This is an ADWARE (malware) VIRUS that is pushed on you by none other than your friendly internet service provider, Comcast/Xfinity.  That's right, so don't believe anyone that tells you otherwise.

Here's what I did:  I answered "yes" in the original popup window, then "no" or declined the installation on the next window.  Immediately after that I ran Malware Bytes, which you can download for free.  MB detected an adware program that was apparently put there on my computer by this "Easy Solve" in-your-face adware virus.  I then restarted.  Now it's gone.  Comcast should be sued for this one and I'm definetly switching to another ISP.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: How I removed the Comcast "Easy Solve" popup virus

[ Edited ]

Easy Solve is not adware or spyware or a virus.

When I was a part of the beta testing for Easy Solve I ran Malwarebytes  SuperAntiSpyware and got the same result you did.

It's a false positive which I promptly reported to the Easy Solve team.  

edit to correct a wrong statement. I looked over my beta testing notes and it was SAS which flagged Easy Solve .exe installer as malicious.

During my testing MBAM results did not mention Easy Solve.

New Visitor
jjonmi

Yeah well I don't believe it for one second.  I've been using Malware Bytes for a long time--it's maybe the best program for picking up adware and other malware-type viruses.  It's no cooincidence that the adware appeared right after I ran through this "Easy Solve" popup.  It's Comcast/Xfinity trying to install adware on their customers' compurters--probably without customers knowing it's even there.  That's even below dispicable, disgusting, etc.  Like I said, they should be sued and run out of bnusiness.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Believe what you want. I also have been using MBAM for a long time and have gotten false positives when using it.

MBAM did not flag it as malware when I was a part of the beta testing. Out of curiousity I installed Easy Solve last night to see what the final release version is like.

I ran MBAM twice this evening.

Quick scan did not report Easy Solve.

Complete scan did not report it.

I will, however, say that during the beta testing SuperAntiSpyware the  Easy Solve Installer .exe as malicious. False positive.

New Visitor
justsomeguy1234

[ Edited ]

delete Comcast desktop doctor.  it seems to have removed the popup for me.  Also look for any other programs that are published by comcast in your add/remove program list and remove those as well.  I also went into my firewall settings and blocked all of the programs in comcast directories.  bye bye comcast.

Contributor

My mom & I have different brands of computers that exceed the minimum requirements, but EasySolve won;t function on either of them, so we reinstalled Desktop Doctor, which works just fine at resetting the IP address.

New Visitor
pgreco15

Received an email from Comcast about the free EasySolve software to help make internet connection better. I downloaded it and tried to install it. Its states that the install will take 2 minutes. Well after 30 minutes still nothing... I tried to launch Task Manager and the TM window would not open, but the icon in the tray did show up... visually it was blinking on and off 0% to 100% over and over... it took me literally to force power off my laptop and 2 hours of removing this piece of garbage out of my registry and off my laptop. Tried to chat with comcast support, but they wanted me to pay $79/year to chat with them?????? I am paying $247 per month for TV cable and internet - this additional charge to get support is totally rediculous and obscene.

Thanks Comcast but no thanks... how about testing software before you pass it on to your customers.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

What Comcast wanted you to subscribe to is Xfinity Signature Support. They were passing the buck, which they now have a tendency to do since the inception of Signature Support. I've seen posts by people who were referred to Signature Support when their issues are clearly ones that COMCAST should be dealing with-not some contracted 3rd party.

As for Easy Solve being tested, it kind of was.

I participated in the trial for Easy Solve and was not impressed. Neither was anyone else who participated in it.

Stay away from it. It really doesn't do very much. And it doesn't diagnose any problems. All it does is run a scan and lists "problems" it finds.

If you don't subscribe to SIgnature Support all it will do is clear out your cache and tell you to fix things that really don't need to be fixed. You will be told there are things that need to be fixed in order to optiminze your system but no real details are given about WHY it needs to be fixed. Some of the things it wants to "fix" are Windows default settings, which probably have not caused you any problems and are ok to leave as is.

Example: "Set Critical Windows 7 Services" with no information on these services.

ES critical services.PNG

Another example for Optimize my Computer: I was told Desktop Shortcuts are disabled. Fixing that added 2 shortcuts which I did not want-Network icon and an icon for my user folder. These only showed up after logging off and then logging back on.

One thing I encountered was being told to clear the cache-AFTER I did an experiment. I cleared my cache. I then ran Easy Solve. I was told the just cleared cache needed to be deleted, so I did some searching and found a history item. When you sign in to Easy Solve it is added to the history. So even if you clear your cache, which includes history before running it, you will ALWAYS be told the cache needs to be cleared. This item is an EASY SOLVE ITEM that gets added to history.

es history.PNG

It will want to "help" you if you are not connected to the internet. I also tested this "help".

The only way I could test it was by unplugging the wired connection my computer has to the router. My husband was using his computer in another room which is a wireless connection so I could not unplug the modem.

It told me to Check your Cables. I checked and gee whiz the cable was disconnected from the router, I plugged it back in. There was nothing that told me I was reconnected to the internet.

The next screen was Reset the Modem. There is no need to reset the modem if the problem was a simple of case of cables or power cord being disconnected or loose.

If you reset the modem and that doesn't work you are told to call Comcast.

Obviously if there is a service outage checking cables and resetting the modem won't work. If there is a Comcast network issue and your internet starts crawling slower than a turtle it won't be able to help you.

Easy Solve assumes something is wrong on YOUR end of things when that may not be the case.

After the trial I uninstalled Easy Solve.

I recently reinstalled it when someone else asked about Easy Solve. I wanted to see if anything had changed.

It has not. It still drops items into history so it still tells me it needs to be deleted even though I cleared it before running Easy Solve. It still tells me critical items need to be fixed with no info on WHAT/WHY they should be fixed. It still tells me desktop icons need to be added to my desktop.

On 4-16-2012 I deleted one my secondary Comcast email addresses. The next day I opened up Windows Live Mail. A pop up from Easy Solve appeared on my screen, telling me

easy solve mail.PNG

I knew what the problem was-I forgot to delete the account from WLM. Being the curious type I ran the scan.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words I present these snips taken after the scan:

ES Mail Scan1.PNG

ES Mail Scan2.PNG

ES Mail Scan3.PNG

Easy Solve either has delusions of grandeur and thinks it can solve all problems or email "problems" are listed in invisible ink. Comcast has once again added to its not-so-stellar branded software history with Easy Solve. There is nothing about email in the results.

I DID NOT USE IT TO FIX ANYTHING.

I have not tried the connection portion since the program has been released. That will have to be done when no one else is using his/her computer.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Queen Evie

Comcast is apparently pushing Easy Solve as a useful tool to have for one's computer. I also received an email from Xfinity to try Easy Solve today. Didn't read much of it knowing your results in the testing. I deleted the email.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I also tried it out a while back. As Evie noted, it wasn't helpful.

Don't install it. Ignore it.

Visitor
charlesschuler

I thought it might be useful, but it caused problems.  My newsreader stopped working and it also advised me that I need more help from Comcast with my network problems.  What network problems?  I did not have any problems until I tried Easy Solve!

Stay far, far away from this latest attempt to squeeze a few more bucks out of us.

I live in a gated communtiy where Comcast has been the only source for cable and Internet.  That is now changing as I, and many others in my communicty, are ready to tell Comcast to hit the road.

Contributor
dis-gusted

Read the small print. Easy Solve is for customers for free for a few months, then they want you to pay for it. Another way to make a buck. I would prefer to get decent service.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

dis-gusted wrote:

Read the small print. Easy Solve is for customers for free for a few months, then they want you to pay for it. Another way to make a buck. I would prefer to get decent service.

Please post the small print that says this.

I have looked over everything and there is no fine print that states it is free for a few months and you will have to pay if you want to keep using it.

It did not say anything of the sort when I was a part of the testing (I looked over EVERYTHING then) and it does not say it now.

I've had it installed long enough that if they wanted to charge me for it after a "few months" I would have seen the charge on bill by now.

No, I do not use it. It sits there unopened unless someone has a question that might require me to open it.

Contributor
dis-gusted

when I downloaded the program it did a scan on my computer and told me what was wrong, then it told me I could download the program to fix everything (nothing major) and I would have two months free and for a price I could have it longer.

New Visitor
slp2t

I saw the email for this program and did a save download; did not run it and my WebRoot software blocked it because it had a trojan virus on it.   So, maybe Comcast needs to check their files out.  Or may be the email is a scam in my comcast account.

Email Expert

dis-gusted wrote:

when I downloaded the program it did a scan on my computer and told me what was wrong, then it told me I could download the program to fix everything (nothing major) and I would have two months free and for a price I could have it longer.

So EasySolve is totally free, it's some OTHER program that's only free temporarily. But if that other program is just something you run once to fix the problems that EasySolve detected, the time limit doesn't seem like it should be a big problem.

Not that I'm advocating using EasySolve, I'm just trying to make it clear that you're talking about two different things.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

I have never seen the "try it/buy it" message.No one else has mentioned seeing it.   You should not be seeing it either.

Did you sign in before you ran any scans? Do you remember what scan you ran?

If you do not have Easy Solve on your computer, please look at the screenshots. Which one of these did you run?

I hope you don't still have it installed.

Not signed in

Easy Solve not signed in.PNG

signed in

Easy Solve signed in.PNG

Contributor
dis-gusted

It was optimize my internet.

Contributor
dis-gusted

Yes, that is what I'm talking about, they scanned my computer, did not find anything major and then popped up a signature support which I did not subscribe to. I did download Easy Solve but it didn't do anything for me.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Signature Support is a totally different thing. It is a subscription based support option. How much it costs depends on the level of support you choose.  Although it is Xfinity Signature Support you don't deal with Comcast. The service is contracted out to a 3rd party. It's totally unnecessary and several people have reported the service they received from Signature Support was not up to par.

FWIW, I did not get any SIgnature Support popups when opening or using the scan portion of Easy Solve. When I do scan I do not let it fix anything. I mostly do it every once in a while to see if anything has changed.

Contributor
dis-gusted

Thank you for your information and help

Bronze Problem Solver
DoubleG

And uninstall easy solve....

Contributor

I rec'd an email advertising EasySolve, downloaded, and attempted to install...twice. Each time I got a pop-up saying my laptop was infected. After the second time, I called customer support. The rep told me that there were some "problems" with EasySolve and admitted that they were infection-related. When I suggested that a follow-up email would have been nice, he said that not everyone was having the problem. I can't believe that Xfinity/Comcast is willing to allow even potential problems of this type!! Fortunately, I had no problem removing the infection(s), but...for what we pay, this shouldn't happen.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

judyandstu, I hope you did not install Easy Solve. If you did, get rid of it ASAP.

If you did not read my review of Easy Solve, scroll up, find it, and read.

FWIW, reading what you said is the first time anyone has mentioned "infection" when trying to install it. What popped up saying your laptop was infected? Pop up from Easy Solve, your antivirus, antimalware scanner, etc?

Do you remember the name of the infection(s)?

Contributor

I was unable to install it the first time I tried...and got the infection pop-up from StopZilla. I didn't write down the exact name, but it was a Trojan. For some stupid reason I decided to try intalling Easy Solve again, thinking that maybe the infection was from another source, but I got the same pop-up the second time I tried. I wasn't going to go for three. LOL! The tech rep from Xfinity acknowledged that there was a problem with infections...but that not everyone was having an issue. I wonder whether somehow the .exe file was hacked????? I was very surprised that an .exe file from Xfinity would be a problem.

Email Expert
CCCarole

I hope you have run a full scan with your anti virus to be safe?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

It's no secret I am not a fan of Easy Solve.

However, I do keep it on my computer to refer to if someone has questions about Easy Solve.

I wanted to see if I could replicate the issue reported by judyandstu.

To do so, I first installed the trial version of StopZilla. I then UNINSTALLED Easy Solve.

Next step, reinstall Easy Solve. The install came to a screeching halt from the get-go when this popped up on my screen:

stopzilla easy solve1.PNG

I then checked the StopZilla reports and saw this:

stopzilla easy solve2.PNG

It may be a false positve. There is no way for me to find out if it is.

There were no alerts from Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware, although at one time during the testing phase and shortly after the release of Easy Solve SuperAntiSpyware did report the .exe installer as being infected. Unfortunately I deleted the screenshot of that report and have no clue what the specific "infection" was. All I know is thinking it was very ironic that SuperAntiSpyware, a support soft product, reported another support soft product as "bad".

I doubt there is  "virus" issue with Easy Solve because definitions of products vary widely and there is something in StopZilla that sees something legitimate in Easy Solve as an infection of some type.

Just for fun I am about to scan with MBAM, SAS, and StopZilla to see if anything turns up. Then I will uninstall StopZilla and reinstall Easy Solve.

Contributor

Perhaps it was a false positive. This happened once before with another program, and once I determined that everything was okay, I was able to white list the file and proceed. But from what I'm reading here, I don't need Easy Solve anyhow. :-)

Thanks for all your work in checking this!

Contributor

Absolutely -- I ran a full scan immediately!

New Visitor
Mad_Jack

Queen-Evie, FYI I called Signature Support yesterday (Sun. 6-3) to inquire on several services that were posted on their FAQ page. Prior to disconnecting the call with the sales person I asked at least two times if Signature Support is a 3rd party vendor hired by Comcast. I was told "No, that Signature Support is a Comcast service." Inclusively he informed me that Comcast Tech Support wasn't able to help with computer issues but Signature Support could for a $79 one time enrollment fee plus the $10 or $20 monthly subscription charge. :smileysad: Xfinity Signature Support :smileycry: Nothing more Dollar$ can't buy! I have had some issues over the past few years being with Comcast and Tech Support has been very helpful resolving problems with my computers. Now we have to purchase Tech support because it falls to a new department? Bottom line; I don't know which information is correct... Signature Support is/isn't a 3rd party service?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Support.com provides the online and phone support component for Xfinity Signature Support. Comcast has contracted with Nashville, Tenn.-based Asurion to provide in-home tech support visits.

Support.com is a 3rd party vendor. Comcast does not mention this fact in any of the hype about Signature Support. At least I have not seen any mention of this.

You do not need to purchase this support. If you have computer issues we here in the forum can help you. There are also many REPUTABLE help forums on the internet. Your tech savvy neighbor might be able to help you. Example: You need to set up a router. If you call Comcast they may refer you to Signature Support. Why pay for the help when you can get it free by asking in the forum? Sure it may take a little longer because you have to wait for a reply but you will save money. Then again someone may reply quickly as opposed to being on hold for a long time (I've seen some reviews that say a caller was on hold for an hour or more).

Signature Support is supposedly for NON-Comcast issues. What is disturbing is that some customers have been told they need to use SIgnature Support when calling about obvious COMCAST issues that only Comcast can resolve.

They will want to use remote access in order to help you with some issues or install software so they can get info about your system. I would NEVER allow someone I don't know to access my computer remotely. I don't want anyone to have access to my files and folders and email. I don't know anything about the person who wants remote access. (I also don't know what training the person has had or his/her skill level. Proper training in malware/virus removal is essential if the problem is an infection)

As for the software I control what is installed.

From the Signature Support Terms and Conditions:

Authorization to Access Your Computer

You acknowledge that you are authorizing us to access and control your computer as required to provide the Services you request.

In order to provide the Services to you, we may download and use software, analyze system data, perform maintenance tasks, provide you with notices or information requests, and take remote control of your computer and access or modify your computer settings to diagnose, optimize and repair supported devices. By accepting these terms, you hereby grant us the right to connect to your computer and supported devices to accomplish these tasks. Other than as set forth in the warranty section below, you agree that Comcast has no responsibility or liability under any circumstance at any time for any loss or harm that may arise from or be related to the Services.

Use of Software and Tools

We may need to download and run software on your computer to help diagnose and resolve your technology problem (the "Software"). We use several types of Software: the first type provides computer system information to us which helps us diagnose and resolve your technology problem, the second type allows us to remotely control your computer and modify its settings or software, and the third type generally consists of utilities and other tools to improve computer performance and provide updates.

You must cooperate with us and promptly respond to our requests for information and comply with our requests to take actions to resolve your technology problem. In order to help resolve your technology issue, you may be required to consent to the downloading and use of Software on your computer and accept all applicable license agreements for the Software.

FWIW Easy Solve was developed for Comcast by Support.com. which is probably why it's on this page which you will see the first time you sign in to Easy Solve:

easy solve sig support.PNG

and this tab after you sign in along with what you see if you click the tab

easy solve sig support2.PNG

Contributor
DeeJayZee

Has anyone done a deeper analysis of things left behind by EasySolve?  There are enough reports of suspected malware left behind to wonder whether this software embeds an agent that in some way monitors individual and household TV-viewing and broadband-surfing habits.

New Visitor
rmkauffman

Have the tool downloaded and only about half the window actually works. I do not recommend anyone use this unless or till Comcast fixes this JUNK software. Comcast feel free to contact mefor details if you can't figure it out.

Visitor
seharkin

Just went through an install of EasySolve and then had it popping up telling me it could not run becaause it was out oif sync with my internet connectivity on startup.  did a chat for help on trying to have it only start when i wanted it to but apparently that is not an option.  had to do an uninstall and the tried to install again and it would not complete.  Chat got dropped and left me hanging.  had to call customer support and hang on the phone for 10 minutes.  Ultimately i have chosen to not install and have finished removing this quasi firus like program from my machine.  It was not Easy!! Do not install it!

New Visitor
vjl461

I do not use Internet Explorer and did not get the pop up for Easy solve. My suggestion is to not use Internet Explorer - SWITCH to GOOGLE CHROME, it works so much faster.

Note: if you use many of the couponing sites you will need IE for those sites. I only use IE for my couponing site and exclusively use CHROME.