Recognized Contributor

I just removed java totally and that seems to have cleared up all the issues I had with Comcast websites. I guess Comcast websites do not like Java.  I also figured Java really isn't needed to run the programs I got on my computer anyways.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

java runs most things on the internet.  your going to run into issues without it.    What comcast websites do you use?  I have never had an issue with java on a comcast site.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

HTML is the basic language for most web pages.

It is recommended to disable Java due to security issues.

Lots of talk on the web about this for Java. There is concern that hackers can use security flaws in Java to run malicious software on a computer.

Recognized Contributor

What kind of issues might I run into rog? I wasn't aware of this.

Connection Expert
EG

rog286713 wrote:

java runs most things on the internet. 

I wouldn't exactly say "most" things. I'd say that *some* sites / webpages may be broken without it.

Recognized Contributor

So if I understand right. Unless I discover website issues it is okay to have removed Java?

Recognized Contributor

Re: Java

[ Edited ]

What exactly do you mean by broken webpages? I am not totally sure what it means.

Connection Expert
EG

Any pages or elements of pages that rely on Java will not function / render / appear correctly. Actually more stuff relies on Flash these days than Java. You would have to browse around and see how bad things appear to be and then decide if you can live without it.

Connection Expert
EG

jeff3603 wrote:

So if I understand right. Unless I discover website issues it is okay to have removed Java?

Yes. Exactly.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

FWIW some Wikipedia pages ask to run JAVA but I don't let them. The pages still work. It appears to me that there is one section of the page that wants to use Java but it still looks and loads okay.

And FoxNews.com seems to load quicker and smoother with Java disabled in IE9.

Recognized Contributor

Re: Java

[ Edited ]

I have checked every site I regularly go to and there isn't a single issue now that I uninstalled java 32 and 64 bit and disabled deployment toolkit. In fact, I believe my computer runs a little faster now :smileyhappy:. Thanks for all your help guys and feedback.