Bronze Star Contributor
Accepted Solution

Name change procedure on homepage

On the left side of the xfinity homepage there is a black box section located just below one's chosen city and weather module .  My first name appears, and below that is the sign out and view account links. 

Is there a way to change the name that appears (my name) in that box?  If so, can you advise the procedure for me to try...

Mick 7

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Name change procedure on homepage

mick7 wrote:

On the left side of the xfinity homepage there is a black box section located just below one's chosen city and weather module .  My first name appears, and below that is the sign out and view account links. 

Is there a way to change the name that appears (my name) in that box?  If so, can you advise the procedure for me to try...

Mick 7

Hi Mick,

You have the new Homepage.  You used to be able to click on the name to change it, but that doesn't work now.  Hopefully ComcastJoe will be able to answer this for you tomorrow. 

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Official Employee
ComcastEric

We are looking into this issue.  I'll let you know when I know more.

Eric

Bronze Star Contributor

I'll look forward to receiving your answer..........Mick 7

New Visitor
New Visitor
mqt

did u figure out how to change the name?  My screen shows the name of an ex (7-8 yrs. ago) and I can't figure out how to change it.  I didn't even know it was ever under his name!

Bronze Star Contributor

ComcastJoe said he was checking on this and would let me (us) know.  We use to be able to change this at will, but no way now.  There is the sign out link right below, so they could easily add the name change link if they would.  Honestly, I just can't believe Comcast would not have thought of this when designing the homepage.

ComcastJoe, if you read this, perhaps you can contact mqt with what you find out...........Mick 7

Bronze Star Contributor

Sorry, I meant to say ComcastEric...........

Official Employee
ComcastEric

Sorry for the delay.  To change the name, go to this page:

https://customer.comcast.com/Secure/PreferenceCenter.aspx

Click "Edit" at the top, it should be right above where you see your email address. 

Then change the First Name on the next screen (not the Greeting Name).

If might take up to 24 hours for this change to be reflected on your home page. 

Please try that and let me know if you run into any issues or if it doesn't work.

Eric

New Visitor
New Visitor
mqt

I had already done that, it has been more than 24hrs.  It is still showing the incorrect name.

Bronze Star Contributor

ComcastEric,

I will retry this, however, I have already made the change using this procedure approx. two weeks ago.  Since I saw no change then, I tried the forum approach for ideals.  Look for a response in a couple of day's.. I do appreciate your personal response is a timely manner.

Cordially,

Mick 7

Email Expert
CCCarole

I have tried this as well to test.  Will post back if it worked or not.

Carole

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Email Expert
CCCarole

Yep, it worked for me!  :smileygrin:

Carole

Bronze Star Contributor

ComcastEric, CCCarole, mqt,

Finally !!  Yes it finally changed, however, I could not get it to change right away.  So after I retyped what I wanted, I then hit the save button and this time I went back to the homepage and shut down the computer.  The first time I tried this, all I did was restart the computer and it did not change.  When I shut it down and then started from the "off" position, the homepage appeared with my new chosen names.

Many thanks to Carol and ComcastEric for responding so quickly to my issue of concern.

Cordially,

Mick 7

* mqt, let us know if shutting the computer off after saving your new name works for you.......

New Visitor
New Visitor
mqt

I didn't shut off the computer this time...but I just logged on now and the name is finally right!  I can't say what worked, but something did.  Thanks for the help and prompt responses!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Smiley Cool .bmpI didn't do anything, just did what Eric recommended.  Our kudos to ComcastEric!

Carole

Most Valued Poster
t-car

Can you change name on new homepage

Hi, I was just wondering if it was possible to change or remove a persons name that appears on the new Xfinity homepage. I don't mean the user ID ; I'm talking about a name that appears at the upper left, directly beneath the Xfinity logo in the black box and above the words " view account".   Thanks t-car

Most Valued Poster
t-car

Re: new page

Hi Comcast Joe, on the homepage you provided to help koskit, it shows the name Joseph in the black box. On my homepage it shows a name in the black box,but it's NOT MINE. I've tried everything that was posted here to change it to my name, nothing worked. It was posted that it could take 24 hrs to see the change, it's been about 2 weeks. How long does it take ? Also sometimes my weather is showing and sometimes it's not.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Re: new page

t-car wrote:

Hi Comcast Joe, on the homepage you provided to help koskit, it shows the name Joseph in the black box. On my homepage it shows a name in the black box,but it's NOT MINE. I've tried everything that was posted here to change it to my name, nothing worked. It was posted that it could take 24 hrs to see the change, it's been about 2 weeks. How long does it take ? Also sometimes my weather is showing and sometimes it's not.

Please try the solution that ComcastEric posted above and let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Bronze Star Contributor

Return of a old problem- NAME CHANGE on Hompage

A month ago I posted a question of how to change the name on the homepage just below the City and Weather boxes.  ComcastEric gave us a procedure to change the names, and it worked perfectly.

Today when I fired up the computer, the old name was back so I went and retried the procedure that was given to us by ComcastEric with Negative results.  In the section where we made the changes, nothing was out of place or had changed since the last change. 

Is there any reason why all of a sudden the homepage reverted back to it's old look with a different name when all the changes we did are still in place?  I retried this procedure at least a dozen times.......

Mick 7

Official Employee
ComcastEric

Re: Return of a old problem- NAME CHANGE on Hompage

mick7, I'm not sure why the name would change back.  It might have something to do with the update to the Account section on Comcast.com.  We'll look into that.

To change it back again in the new Account section, first go to the Users & Preferences page:

https://customer.comcast.com/Secure/UserSettings

Then go to the Contact Email section, which is the 4th section down, and click "Add or edit contact information".  Change the First Name field in the form that pops up.

Please wait 24-48 hours for the change to appear on the home page.  sorry for the inconvenience.

Eric

Bronze Star Contributor

Re: Return of a old problem- NAME CHANGE on Homepage

The endless saga of the name change continues. Today all names disappeared and was replaced by WELCOME.  I tried the recent procedure set forth by ComcastEric, but the page is not conducive to change other than retyping what is already there.   We're standing by and will let the tech folks figure it out..

Mick 7

Bronze Star Contributor

I just fired up the computer and now the city location & news drop down along with the weather has been removed.  Are changes about to happen, or is Comcast having issues.  Stay tuned.........Mick7

Email Expert
CCCarole

Mick,

I don't know, but it sure does appear they are messing around with it again.  Maybe this time it will stick .

CC

Bronze Star Contributor

Regarding Unexplained Homepage Changes-"I Give Up"

Over the last couple of months I have posted regarding name change procedures on the Homepage, and also posted about names,location, and weather drop downs disappearing off the page.  Last week, the calendar left.

ComcastEric responded and he worked on this issues for us. Unfortunately, the procedure that worked before does not work today as the "edit" has disappeared from the preferences page. Today, I was again trying to find a way to restore the name greetings instead of the welcome in the black box, along with location and weather.  I found that when I "sign out" of the homepage, everything but the name comes back. 

So until Comcast fixes these issues (not holding my breath), I suggest you simply sign out and hopefully like mine did, you see your location, local news, weather and calendar miraculously reappear.

Mick 7

Bronze Star Contributor

Re: Regarding Unexplained Homepage Changes-"I Give Up"

Guess I must have upset someone with Tech powers in my latest post regarding the unexplained disappearance of Home Page items.  As I refreshed my signed out Home Page, I noticed that the city, weather, calendar, and name was all removed.  So, I signed in, and low and behold nothing had changed.  Everything mentioned was still missing.   I know I can switch to other homepages like My Way etc. but sometimes you just want to see things through. 

Mick 7 

Official Employee
ComcastEric

mick7,

Sorry you're still experience issues.  Weather, city, etc should all be there whether or not you're signed in.  Are you still not seeing those?

For the name change, that can still be changed in the new Account section.  Go to the Users & Preferences page:

Then go to the Contact Email section, which is the 4th section down, and click "Add or edit contact information".  Change the First Name field, not Greeting Name,in the form that pops up.  It may take 24-48 hours for this change to be reflected on your home page.  I changed mine and it reflected correctly on my home page.

Please test this again and let me know the results.

Eric

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Eric, the name on my homepage is Evie. It has been that for years.

Following your directions I took a peek at what is listed in Edit Contact Email.

The name in the First Name field is my real name, which is not Evie. If that name is supposedly the one which shows on the hompage why is Evie the greeting name?

Just for fun I changed the first name field to my middle name. So far it still has Evie, but it has been less 24 hours since I changed it. I'll leave it filled out with my middle name for a while to see if it changes on the homepage.

I really don't care what name shows up because I don't look at the Comcast online version of a bad supermarket tabloid homepage very often. Unfortunately sometimes while helping someone with an Xfinity Connect issue I have to go through the homepage to get to XC.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Official Employee
ComcastEric

Hi, sorry for the confusion on this.  Turns out that the greeting name on the home page is using the Greeting Name in My Account now.  So go to this page:

Scroll down to the Contact Email section, click "Add of edit contact information".  Then enter or change the Greeting Name.  After clicking Save Changes, go back to the home page, log out and then back in and you should see the new name appear.

Eric

Bronze Star Contributor

Eric,

I have no location, name, weather or calendar.  It has been a few weeks since I saw them.  I cleared everything, and when I signed out, I got the location and calendar back,  Now, I have nothing ..

Mick 7

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

ComcastEric wrote:

Hi, sorry for the confusion on this.  Turns out that the greeting name on the home page is using the Greeting Name in My Account now.  So go to this page:

Scroll down to the Contact Email section, click "Add of edit contact information".  Then enter or change the Greeting Name.  After clicking Save Changes, go back to the home page, log out and then back in and you should see the new name appear.

Eric

It works when changing the greeting name. Whatever is in the greeting name field does show on the homepage.

At one time it changed it on My Account pages but not on the homepage.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor

Evie & Eric,

I tried the fix as suggested, and it did not work.  When I signed out, the correct city name appeared and when I signed in, there was no city, weather, calendar or greeting.  The only greeting was "Welcome". 

Standing by for any other suggestions.........

Mick 7

Official Employee
ComcastEric

mick7, can you clear your browser cache and cookies and restart your browser?  

If that doesn't work, can you try a different browser?  That's not a permanent solution, but at least will let us narrow down the issue. 

Eric

Bronze Star Contributor

Eric,

Thanks for continuing to address this issue.  I did as you requested and then went back to check.  Still no greeting name (Welcome only), city name, weather drop down or calendar.   mick7

Official Employee
ComcastEric

mick7,

Here's what logged out and logged in look like on my computer.  Can you log out and back in and verify exactly what is different in each case?  Sorry if you've done this already, but I just want to be sure of the issue you're having as it sounds like a unique case.  Thanks for your help and patience.

thanks.

Eric

Logged out:

logged out.jpg

Logged in:

logged in.jpg

Bronze Star Contributor

Eric,

I signed out and got the Uh-oh box.  This time my city-weather-calendar appeared, however the greeting name was still Welcome.  I would say that 80% of the time I sign out, the city,weather,calendar are NOT present.

When I SIGN IN, I get no city,weather, calendar, and the greeting is always WELCOME.  Hope this helps..

Mick 7

Official Employee
ComcastEric

mick7, what's your zip code?  This could be a local issue.

thanks.

Bronze Star Contributor

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

After you signed out did you close the browser then open it again?

Bronze Star Contributor

Yes, I followed the directions as posted.  I also signed out, then rebooted along with shutting everything down and resigning on.  When I sign off, 80% of the time the city, weather and calendar appear.  Then when I sign on, they are not present.  The greeting is always set on "welcome".  Mick 7

Official Employee
ComcastEric

Our Engineers have identified the cause of the issue and it will be fixed in our next site release, which should be early next week.  Thanks for your patience.

Eric

Bronze Star Contributor

Eric,

Good news, and we will look forward to the site release........Mick 7

Bronze Star Contributor

Hopefully the engineers haven't forgotten about their site release fix due earlier this week ? 

Mick 7

Official Employee
ComcastEric

Mick7, the site release with the fix is next week.

Eric

Bronze Star Contributor

Eric,

Thank you for the information and we're stand by for the fix.........Mick 7

Bronze Star Contributor

Next week is now gone, and as we begin a new week it is apparent that the "scheduled fix" did not occur.                                          

?

Mick 7

Official Employee
ComcastEric

Mick7, last week's release actually got pushed until tomorrow but we are still planning to address this issue.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Eric

Bronze Star Contributor

Eric,

The fix has occurred !!  In your last message, you mentioned that "we are still planning to address this issue".

Although this fix is good, perhaps in that future address you might think of making the black box just a little smaller.  The current size hides some of the weather picture, however, what we have now is functional. If there is sun in the forecast, you see just the top 1/4 of the sun.

Mick 7

Official Employee
ComcastEric

Mick7, that's great news.  Let me know if it reoccurs.  The weather isn't actually hidden, it just looks like that because of the way its designed.  We've received this same feedback from other customers as well and are taking a look to see how it could be improved.

thanks!

Eric