New Visitor

Netflix too slow.

I use comcast cable as well as internet.  When I use Netflix during the day, I can watch with no problems and my connection speed can be as high as 50Mbs.  However, whenever I try to watch in the evening, say around 9:00PM, I get very choppy video (starts and stops) and my speed is normally around .8 Mbs.  When I check the internet speed from my computer at 9:00PM, it shows plenty of bandwidth.

What is going on?

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: Netflix too slow.

It's clogged pipes between Netflix's servers and Comcast. There is alot of fighting between ISP's that are also video companies and Netflix. They refuse to join into Netflix's Open Connect delivery network, so everything is funneled through 3rd parties, and Comcast deliberately refuses to expand bandwith with them unless they pay $$$$$.

New Visitor

Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Netflix works fine here anytime.

New Visitor
xfinity305

I have a similar problem and i spoke to Netflix team, after they ran some tests, it seems that there is a big variance in network speed from 0.2 Mbps and 10 Mbps and although they need only 5 Mpbs for a HD quality signal, the variation is so bad, that their app resorts to reducing the quality of the streaming.

The question is why there is so much variance when it should be continuously above a certain Mbps consistently.

Yes i have heard about the netflix network optimizer supported by the ISP, wonder why Comcast does not have such an optimizer.

New Visitor
deepmoonlight01

NetNeutrality was abolished recently.

What NetNeutrality did was basically make it so that every ISP was forced to treat all bandwidth the same. They had to cater to every company with their best connection possible.

But when NetNeutrality went away, ISPs can choose who they funnel their bandwidth to. The only way to get better connectivity between services and their customers, is to pay the ISP big bucks to get priority bandwidth from them. Otherwise, the ISP can pretty much say "No, Im not giving you anything" and slow the services down until the ISP's customers rely on other services to get that same information.

Comcast provides media, via their cable channels for example, or their media apps on mobile devices. By making netflix suck, they are hoping to get their business back up and running.

So... yeah, were all F'ed.