New Visitor
sksauve

Pop-Up Ads

What's with all the pop-up ads?  They're IRRITATING!!!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Pop-Up Ads

You can opt out of some ads here: http://xfinity.comcast.net/adinformation/

If you use Firefox as your browser, install the Ad Blocker Plus Add-On.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

they're full of it, if you opt out you still get the pop ups

Email Expert
CCCarole

Did you see this post in another thread today, by a Comcast Moderator?

maxmax, this was an issue only affecting Internet Explorer users and is being addressed so it doesn't happen again the next time we run an ad like the one that ran yesterday.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
dfulker

This issue affects many people and machines! Even as I type this in Mozilla Firefox/Waterfox (16.0.1.4682) I have Comcast's pathetic xfinity pop up in front of me. I have tried Chrome and IE and they both get the pop ups, I have added Ad Blocker and this does not stop the pop up; I use Malwarebytes and AVG 2013; I keep my PC scrupuliusly clean but Comcast somehow feels it has the right and  the need to convince me that I have a bot when the only bot I have is the one from xfinity.

Bronze Star Contributor
GeekSpeaker

Ads are realted to perhaps some toolbars you may have installed on your computer, some third party software that is supposed to optimize your computer, other Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome add ons and extentions. 

All webpages will have ads for the most part, but if you're getting pop ups, that is going to be because one or more of the reasons I posted above. 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I will point out the obvious and say that a pop up about a bot is not an ad.

Also, not all pop ups are related to the things mentioned by GeekSpeaker. Sometimes they are the result of malware.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor
GeekSpeaker

Queenie, 

What exactly do you think all the unwanted tool bars are? They are forms of MALWARE! 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

My point is that ads can pop up even if one does NOT have ANY toolbars.

I never said anything about them being the result of toolbars. I simply said there are also other causes for pop ups, which can be unrelated to the things you mentioned.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor
GeekSpeaker

Ads pop up from third party programs, and browser add ons and extentions depending what you're using Chrome, Firefox, IE. Mostly reporting FALSE errors on your computer, or telling you to install Flash Player from other websites other than Adobe.com. 

Solution to the problem: 

To reset Internet Explorer settings

1. Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

5. Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, and InPrivate Filtering data.

6. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

7. When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

8. Close Internet Explorer.

Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

To reset Firefox settings: 

Solution 1: Reset Firefox to its default state

Note: When using the reset feature, your bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, cookies and web form auto-fill information will be saved. However, your extensions and themes will be removed; open tabs, windows and tab groups will not be saved; and your preferences will be reset. Learn more.
    1. At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu
      and select Troubleshooting Information. Troubleshooting info - win
    2. Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page. Reset Firefox - Win - 1
    3. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
    4. Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open

To reset Google Chrome: 

Reset your browser settings:

1. Click the Chrome menu Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Click Show advanced settings and find the "Reset browser settings” section.
    4. Click Reset browser settings.
    5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset. Note: When the "Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings" checkbox is selected you are anonymously sending Google your Chrome settings. Reporting these settings allows us to analyze trends and work to prevent future unwanted settings changes.

Resetting your browser settings will impact the settings below:

• Default search engine and saved search engines will be reset and to their original defaults.
    • Homepage button will be hidden and the URL that you previously set will be removed.
    • Default startup tabs will be cleared. The browser will show a new tab when you startup or continue where you left off if you're on a Chromebook.
    • New Tab page will be empty unless you have a version of Chrome with an extension that controls it. In that case your page may be preserved.
    • Pinned tabs will be unpinned.
    • Content settings will be cleared and reset to their installation defaults. 
    • Cookies and site data will be cleared.
    • Extensions and themes will be disabled.