Visitor

Ridiculously Loud Commercials

I often watch on TV shows through Xfinity on my computer. While watching the daily show a 5 hour energy ad keeps popping in 3 Iouder than the show. I literally jump whenever this stupid piece comes on.

I am under the impression this is now illegal for TV broadcasts.  It is actually painful when wearing earphones and whatching these reruns. This is no exaggeration.

It's another reason besides poor service and interrupted shows and problems we have have for a couple of years now I am strongly considering discontinuing my plan. Get tired of complaining, and being told over and over that it's our tv set regardless of what the problem might be.

So sick of how much money we pay every month to constantly be dealing with another problem. This one is obvious deliberate, as it's on more than one episode. Honestly you should be ashamed of the way your company does business.

Hope the shareholders are happy, your customers aren't.

PS the spell check is a good idea, but it doesn't work well either, no big surprise.

Official Employee
ComcastEric

Re: Ridiculously Loud Commercials

Thanks for reporting this issue.  Comedy Central serves their own ads on their content, so we've reported this issue to them.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Eric

New Visitor
Stratos20

Thank you "bettiepage!"  Couldn't have been better stated. 

The volume issue been an ongoing problem in our home for quiet some time as well.

As for the commercials, it completely takes all the enjoyment and relaxation out of watching TV.  The same set of commercials over and over and over....  And to endure that it does get ridicuously expensive.

In your response to "bettiepage" you stated Comedy Central serves their own ads and they had been notified.  Is there anything Comcast can or will do to address this problem across the channel lineup? 

I also want to mention there is a great deal of talk among Comcast subscribers with regard to the overwhelming amount of commercials viewers are being subjected to.  If Comcast is truly interested in customer satisfaction, this is an area where they should focus some attention.   

Thanks for your time.

Email Expert
CCCarole

The Federal Law concerning  commercials being louder than programming is supposed to take effect in December of 2012. You can read the details on the FCC website.  http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/loud-commercials/

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert

Stratos20 wrote:

I also want to mention there is a great deal of talk among Comcast subscribers with regard to the overwhelming amount of commercials viewers are being subjected to.  If Comcast is truly interested in customer satisfaction, this is an area where they should focus some attention.  

Cable/satellite companies have little to do with this, this is almost entirely up to the TV stations and networks.

New Visitor

I concur....The commercials on comedy central programs from on " on demand"  are so loud and I have to sit with the remote  in my hand and immediately press mute as not to blow my speakers.  It also occcurs with the BBC.

New Visitor
Kilgrey

Its BS we have to wait until Dec, there is no reason they can't apply a blanket solution that just limits the output settings on all commercials.  

New Visitor
Wgolfguy

Yeah well it's way passed December and the commercials for Comcast and some other companies are still extremely LOUD. It completely sucks. I have been with Comcast for 10 years. I am actually thinking about going somewhere else.
New Visitor

I've noticed the same thing on H2 at night.  The commericals come on and the volume is boosted.  This is very annoying..

New Visitor
Lonelygolfer

I saw the reply from the comcast administrator, and I am not buying it, that it is a Comedy Central problem. I am watching PHL 17, and the only commercials which are louder are the Comcast commercials.
New Visitor
Wgolfguy

Doesn't make any sense why they do it. I mean heck I have a dvr that I built into my HTPC so I don't even watch commercials but when I see something I want to watch there is always one that is so ridiculously loud it hurts. Pretty soon we won't need Comcast tv. It will all be through the Internet. :smileyhappy:
Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Since we are forced to accept commercials on all channels with the exception of HBO type programming, I've found a foolproof way (for me) to avoid the loud intrusion of commercials..

I use the MUTE button, commercials may run, but I don't have to listen to the garbage.. And believe me, I find many of the commercials offensive and produced for the not too astute viewer. 

Just my $.02  :smileywink:

ciao, bj

New Visitor
Lonelygolfer

It is very annoying, particularly since we pay so much for cable and then are forced to listen to ridiculously loud commercials for cable!  Here is a link to the FCC complaint department www.fcc.gov/complaints.  I used it yesterday, and it is specific to the particular commercial you are seeing.

New Visitor
Wgolfguy

Yeah I have used it many times. Doesn't matter :smileysad:
New Visitor
shaunt59

Come on..you're going to try and pull that card on us? Everybody here knows that every single commercial that is broadcasted by Comcast is obnoxiously loud and absolutely unwarranted in your customers homes. And you're going to use independent networks as your scapegoat? Give me a break. Comcast is basically monopolizing the market and we're also forced to be annoyed by these ridiculously loud commercials. I'm sure it's a nifty little scheme that Comcast has coordinated with the various networks that you guys broadcast. The networks pay a premium and Comcast will gladly broadcast all their commercials at a higher volume than the actual program. The FCC has put strict adherences upon this nonsense that Comcast is forcing their customers to put up with. What does it take? A class action lawsuit or what? This was never a problem for anybody until you guys forced everybody to "upgrade" to digital cable or get "left in the dark". Give us some actual answers, please don't string everybody along like that.

New Visitor
Wgolfguy

Good luck to you all! I am leaving after 10 years. Won't have to deal with this any longer. <br>Happy trails.
Security Expert
CajunTek

Wgolfguy wrote:
Good luck to you all! I am leaving after 10 years. Won't have to deal with this any longer. <br>Happy trails.

Unfortunately you will still deal with it. I have ATT U-verse for TV and still see the commercials being over modulated (how they get around the volume thing)....

TANSTAAFL!!

New Visitor
justjoe96

I have experienced this with Comcast commercials on multiple channels.  Think you can forward that to the right people?  You knowingly violate the law.  Stop passing the buck and just follow the law.  It's not that hard....

Contributor
Jayalyissacheno

Re: Ridiculously Loud Commercials ON XFINITY ONLINE through HDMI tv.

[ Edited ]

Just want to report that my apt's have gotten me in trouble because especially Comedy Central, which I watch 3-4 nights a week online on my tv, does not control the commercial volume at all and it blasts people out of bed every time an episode halves or comes to an end. It's totally ridiculous!!

Can you adjust that at least? The internet should be able to adjust it easier than each channel on tv, but who knows, I don't have tv, so I don't' know if this is how loud the commercials are on regular cable.

God please stop this. I seem to have heard of a law that was going to be passed to stop these commercials from being any louder than the show... anyone hear of that??

Maybe over the cost thing and new "box" we all have to get now, we should just protest by not having tv. come on. We can do without cable for a month or two, but they'd loose major profits.

New Visitor
Lonelygolfer

It is getting worse. I have complained to the FCC,and they do nothing. It is bad enough that we pay a lot for cable, and still have commercials. It is insulting that Comcast then makes the commercials so much louder than the shows. Thank goodness for DVRs and the ability to skip through commercials.
Contributor
Jayalyissacheno

except for when you don't have DVR or cable and simply stream xfinity from your computer, like I do. I get most channels, and only 1 or 2 commercials between, depending on the channel. Fox is the worst. Simpsons will be level 7, commercials level 11! Very annoying.

very few people know they can get rid of their tv if they don't mind loosing local tv of course, and just use the internet to watch tv through xfinity as long as you get your internet through them. I'd advise the 2nd largest gb package for streaming shows / live CNN/news and playing games at the same time.

still, we should go to change.org and boycott xfinity one day - like no one pays their bills and just allows for the stupid small late fee one month or something? and ask for our non-encrypted channels back. I KNOW they still have them without a box, its in motel rooms everywhere. At home though, all you have is channel 24 which says, "it's so simple, just go in and get the box. MUST BE COMCAST BOX rented of course at an additional price".. then, you have to buy a package with the box, and the cheapest is $30 a month for basic, local cable.

I argued about natural disaster reporting. Isn't that what those emergency broadcasts are for? Why are poor people not entitled to local channels at least through the antenna. They broke that one years ago by making it all digital. We're screwed. I mean the ones who won't pay.

New Visitor
suzyq660

I am getting so disgusted with all the advertizing everywhere. I have to hit my mute button watching television, I have to close the web pages I am looking at, (for instance I just closed one on Xfinity because an add for diamonds kept popping up all the time even when I didn't accidently roll my mouse over the ad), and sometimes I just shut off the program I am watching because there are more commercials than show.

I quit going to one of the stores I used to go to because they put up monitors on the end of every aisle to show shoppers commercials. It is all getting too ridiculous. Commercials are taking over every aspect of our lives. Even when we pay for service we have to put up with more and more advertizing. The original idea of paying for cable television was that you wouldn't have to watch commercials anymore. Now there are more commercials on the television channels you pay for than on the television channels you don't have to pay for.

I am paying AT LEAST 25% of my television subscription money to watch commercials.

New Visitor
justAViewer

The commercials are STILL louder than programs and I'm not talking about local cable commercials.  Right now, I'm watching Meet The Press on MSNBC and every commercial break, the commercials are louder than the program.

New Visitor
justAViewer

...and don't tell me that this MSNBC's fault since COMCAST OWNS MSNBC.

Contributor
Jayalyissacheno

All the channels do this, despite the LAW that was passed asking advertsers regulating volumne! They play their ads as loud as they can get away with. Its so if you close your eyes, fall asleep, or walk to the kitchen or up to do something, you're still bombarded by them, as will everyone else in the vacinity. Think of the extra viewers they get through passerby's hearing tv noise from outside even! Yes, I think I might grab a 10 calorie Dr. Pepper... no, nevermind.

The funny thing is, the more they play the same ad, the more I protest buying the product. The Vidal Sasoon ad wirth the loud "london locks" voice and invasive music, played twice in a row during EVERY SINGLE commercial break for SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long I will NEVER buy a product from that company EVER again!!! Now even my beloved electronic music - not known to many until now, purposly - is a commerical toilet fest. Darn, ruined that too.

Commericals are even BAD FOR MY HEALTH!!!   Non-smoking commercials make me take a smoke break, INSTANTLY, because people peeling their skin off makes my stomach turn so why not go outside.