New Visitor
jhud1981

Why the advertisiments?

I pay comcast everymonth for my interent service.

Why am I bombarded with advertisments everytime I go to read an article on the comcast.net page?

And my email?

And on that note. Only 10% of them are worth reading. Most are trash. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Re: Why the advertisiments?

The internet is vast, you can use some other service as your home page, e.g. yahoo.com my.yahoo.com can be configured anyway you like.  There are other home pages like msn.com  One can do interesting things with chrome also.

Recognized Contributor

cjerian

The only downside to Chrome is you cannot automatically delete your browsing history. You have delete it one at a time.  They use it to market you.

Security Expert
CajunTek

I have two providers, the other is ATT... Guess what their page has just as many ads.I guess that's why I don't use either of them as a home page.

TANSTAAFL!!

Contributor
6Barnbarn

I am not sure if this will help on not.  I have IPAD II and just recently they came up with an APP that blocks all ads when you are playing a game.  You have to pay a small fee to get it but it is well worth not seeing the hundreds of ads I was bombarded with every time I played words with friends.  Try just going to web and look for blocking ads while viewing or playing.  It may show you something.  I am not sure if this would apply to a PC or otherwise.

Recognized Contributor

Ads are the new reality of the internet. They have been found to be huge cash cows.

Contributor
6Barnbarn

Understood that it is a sign of the times for ads. But you do not have to put up with them. There is help out there to stop them or most of them.  Many programs offer (cost yes) blocks to ads which I feel can certainly be worth it when they get ridiculous. And really, who reads them? I just click them off. No different from TV.  We either mute them or record and then watch without the ads.  Once in a while you get something clever. All they acchieve with my household is never wanting to have anything to do with whatever they are pushing. I had my grandchildren TRY to watch the Rose Bowl Parade.  After the first 30 minutes, we turned it off. They had without exaggeration 5 minutes of parade and 10 minutes of ads and so on......You could not even tape that one because they just skipped over most of the parade.  Eventually it will kill the program completely as who is going to sit for 2 hours to watch ads? Overdoing ads pushes people away not towards a product or service. I say at least attempt to stop those you can.