New Visitor
BigKittyInCity

Re: Xfinity Multiple Tabs Opening

Is this still happening to anyone???? It keeps happening to me, and it is quite annoying. I am just wondering if in the past months anyone knows how to fix it or what Comcast is doing about it?

Contributor

It still happens to me but I work around it. They've said that's what it's supposed to do even though it's annoying.  

When you open the Infinity home page, click on one of the links.  News, Enterntainment..doesn't matter.  When that page opens, scroll up to the top of the page and select "connect".  Email will then open on the same page.  I just leave that tab open and open additional tabs for whatever else I want.   This works with both Firefox or Explorer browsers.

New Visitor
bpikb

One solution which has been able to deal with this mess of multiple tabs and windows opening is to use Firefox and NoScript plugin.   With these two pieces of software, one tab does it all, surfs the web and email with smooth transitions.   It also eliminates all scripting by other sites, meaning you are only viewing comcast information and no other ads to clutter the space.  The fact that turning off scripting altogether works is an indication that the basic functionality is not dependant on all the extra garbage they want you to see or click on.

Contributor
sfldogs

Re: XFINITY Homepage open 4 different tabs when you open browser!!!

Nothing like that on Browser "Opera". And the home page opens in 3 seconds. Awesome

New Visitor

I'm using Internet Explorer 9 and I tried to set the tad settings to no new tabs each time I  go to one of my email boxes. I STILL get 5-6 tabs . Please let me know how I can have just ONE comcast tab. I'm ready to quit comcast.

Dan

Bronze Problem Solver

landon610 wrote:

........Please let me know how I can have just ONE comcast tab. I'm ready to quit comcast.

Dan

Unfortunately, not visiting the Comcast pages is the only way you can only have just one tab.

New Visitor
HealwSteel

I figured out a fix. Go to the options setting for whatever browser you have and the general options. Look for the setting for homepage. The xfinity page URL is there followed by 3 more each separated by a vertical slash "|" . Erase the first vertical slash and everything after it. Fixed.

Contributor
sfldogs

Good choice. It takes at least 2 steps away. It's a shame it still has to go to "Email Preview"

that's at least 90 years behind time. Harrumphfff.

All you windows 8 junkies realize that comcast.net email and it's Post Office Protocall POP doesn't

work like all the other emails out there; Hotmail, yahoo, gmail, to name a few that you can just

click on at the "Start". Our problems are getting fewer and far between and that's a good thing.

New Visitor

I use Firefox but not Xfinity as my homepage. Is there a way to stop the additional tab from opening when I start Comcast and then click on email and sign in ?

Contributor
wrightrl

Note:  How to turn this feature off. 

1.  Go to "internet options" (for your browser)

2.  Click on "Tabs" and uncheck "Enable Tabbed Browsing" (requires restarting internet explorer)

3.  Now close your browser and go to www.comcast.net

4.  Click on email (now this will still open another browser but don't worry)

5.  Now you are on your sign in page.

6.  Now add the sign in page to your favorites for your browser.

7.  Now when you open internet explorer just go to your favorites and click on "Sign in to Comcast."

Note: I have my browser home page set to "Google."  Also, I delete all browsing history on exit as set with internet browsing options.

Ha ha Comcast.  I now only open one window when I sign in and no more advertising from  you, LMAO.

HakerElite

New Visitor
c-57

go to this link and you will remove all the problem:  

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/stop-firefox-opening-multiple-tabs-when-it-starts

Contributor
sfldogs

changing over to comast beta imap is what we've all been waiting for.

One click on "Windows 8 Start" and instant comcast email. No complaints again from me.

Visitor

Comcast Joe says it's not an issue:

Just because the developers intend it to happen doesn't mean it's not an issue. It clearly is a source of inconvenience to your users, demonstrated by the volume of hate mail. 

You mean it is not a bug. That the inconvenience is intended. 

I'm sure it's just a way to get more advertising time into the user's browser. More windows=more ad time. 

New Visitor
phanson

For Chrome users, you can get rid of the extra "Xfinity tab" that opens when you open the browser by following these steps:

1.  click the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar 

2.  click Settings

3.  Under the heading  'On startup' click set pages  after 'Open a specific page or set of pages'

4.  Highlight the Xfinity page and click remove/delete.  Close out and try it--should be back to one Chrome tab.

BTW--Comcast tried to charge me for "Advanced Technical Services" to help me get rid of this nuisance!  

Comcast--you are shooting yourself in the foot with these bully tactics.

Visitor
glynnes

I agree as I keep getting my google home page and I use IE.  Definitely a comcast issue!

Contributor

Yea, it doesn't matter what I try to open on comcast, or google searc, etc. I have to hold down the Ctrl button along with the page I'm trying to get to. This is a joke and I know it must be comcast! I even have to do this with email. This takes up to much time and I don't want a zillion tabs open. Wonder if ATT is any better?