New Visitor
jmbenson

Xfinity Multiple Tabs Opening

Something has changed created an inconvenience.  Everytime I go from the home window to open an email account another home window opens in addition.  After checking my several email accounts I have 5 or 6 home windows open on my Firefox tabs.  This has been happening only recently.  Anything I need to know?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Xfinity Multiple Tabs Opening

This is a new issue that we have seen reported in the Email Forum. You can read threads/posts there. So far we have not heard of a fix yet by Comcast.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor

I am having the same problem.  I called Comcast this morning and I was told this was a browser issue. I am running Firefox 13.0.1  Any help is appreciated.

Visitor

I should have stated is that I read my e-mail online from the home page.

New Visitor
jmbenson

Thanks for the update.  I am using Firefox but am unaware of any changes to the browser unless it's related to an automatic update.  Since there are others experiencing this same issue I hope that Comcast is moving toward a response to fix this.

Contributor

I have been having the same problem. Sometime last week I began getting a new tab opening up whenever I tried to open my email. I thought it was a pain but said nothing. A few days ago, the process reverted back to opening on the same page and I was thrilled. This morning, it was FINE. Now, not so much and we're back to it opening a new tab. Someone running Firefox mentioned being told by Comcast it was a browser issue . Sounds like a stock answer. I do use Firefox primarily as a browser but the problem did not occur immediately after their update. Furthermore, this ALSO occurs using Explorer but instead of getting a new tab, it opens in a new pop up window. Same thing using my Safari browser. So .... IF it IS a browser issue, it is on multiple browsers. Frankly, it looks more like a Comcast issue instead of a browser issue. By the way, but spelled with two Ts isn't a bad word.
Email Expert
madylarian

It's not a browser issue.  It has been reported to be happening in Firefox, IE and other browsers.  We've been reporting it and begging Comcast for answers but have not received any as yet..

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Contributor

I am having the same issue with Chrome.  I don't like it and I don't buy that it is a browser issue.  Each click opens more ads that they can then charge for.

Fix this Comcast!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

jmbenson wrote: Something has changed created an inconvenience.  Everytime I go from the home window to open an email account another home window opens in addition.  After checking my several email accounts I have 5 or 6 home windows open on my Firefox tabs.  This has been happening only recently.  Anything I need to know?

You should know that this behavior is deliberate, and that Comcast doesn't care if you don't like it: in http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Mail-opening-in-new-window/m-p/1343663#..., cc_xc wrote:

... When you click on Email button or Connect from xfinity.comcast.net, a new window or new tab will open, where you will be prompted to enter your login credentials. ...
New Visitor

Email now opens new window-how to stop?

For the past few days, whenever I go to check email it opens a new window.  It used to open in the same tab but I didn't change any settings. 

I verified this by using my backup  ( older, hardly used ) computer which I only start up every few weeks.

I'm using XP SP3 and my email is Xfinity Connect.

Where do I change settings back to where they used to be or did Comcast/Xfinity change this setting?

Thanks

Jeff

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Email now opens new window-how to stop?

Hello,

There as been many threads posted about this problem from comcast customers. Comcast is aware of this but no one knows when it will be fixed.

New Visitor

Not the answer I wanted but thank you.    At least they are aware of the very annoying problem.

New Visitor

I am experiencing the same difficulty!  Hopefully it will be resolved soon.  Thanks

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

New Visitor
Trisha-K

I agree, it's very annoying. I've found that if you go to the 'submit feedback' link at the bottom of the home page, then click on the email tab at the top, it will open on the same page. Seems that with every 'enhancement' Comcast continuously rates a huge "FAIL".

Email Expert
madylarian

BruceW wrote:

jmbenson wrote: Something has changed created an inconvenience.  Everytime I go from the home window to open an email account another home window opens in addition.  After checking my several email accounts I have 5 or 6 home windows open on my Firefox tabs.  This has been happening only recently.  Anything I need to know?

You should know that this behavior is deliberate, and that Comcast doesn't care if you don't like it: in http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Mail-opening-in-new-window/m-p/1343663#..., cc_xc wrote:

... When you click on Email button or Connect from xfinity.comcast.net, a new window or new tab will open, where you will be prompted to enter your login credentials. ...

Except that is not what we are talking about.  This has nothing to do with the login screen. 

mady

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

A recent change has been made to the XFINITY Homepage. The page is working correctly and this is not an issue. 

We want to hear your feedback and we will take all suggestions under consideration going forward.

If the new page is opening up in a different window and you rather have it open up in a new tab or vice versa, check your browser's settings and make sure that you have it where a new page opens in a tab/window. If you do not know how to do this, please tell me your browser and I will be able to walk you through it.

Thanks,

Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Visitor

Please change it back to the old way.  I don't see any advantage to having it this way.  It just makes a simple thing of checking your e-mail to a cumbersome detail to read and then close out of one's e-mail.  Remember the KISS principle and lets keep it simple.

Contributor

Seriously? It IS an issue when the darn thing changes multiple times in a given day! Obviously, the page is not working correctly. I'll check in the morning and the blasted thing opens on the same page. Couple hours later .... ooops. .... opens a new tab. THAT is an issue. Pick one and stay with it! And then to give me the browser answer .... again. I already said which browser I use and which of the two others I had access to but I already know how to adjust my tab functions so thanks for the offer but no thanks, I already developed my work around. PS: Here's something for the suggestion box that I'll bet your customers would appreciate. Let us know IN ADVANCE of the change so we are not unpleasantly surprised when something doesn't work the way we expect it to.
Contributor

Hi all,

A recent change has been made to the XFINITY Homepage. The page is working correctly and this is not an issue. 

We want to hear your feedback and we will take all suggestions under consideration going forward.

If the new page is opening up in a different window and you rather have it open up in a new tab or vice versa, check your browser's settings and make sure that you have it where a new page opens in a tab/window. If you do not know how to do this, please tell me your browser and I will be able to walk you through it.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe:

Thanks for responding but I DO have an issue with the way the XFINITY Home page is operating now and this is a recent change. Until a few days ago, clicking the "MAIL" text and icon on the right side of the home page would direct me to either log-in to get my mail, or directly to my mail if I was still logged in, replacing the XFINITY home page.  Now, clicking on that same text and icon opens another tab.  Sometimes that tab is the login, sometimes it is another copy of the XFINITY home page.

The folks over at XFINITY may have intentionally made it to open a new window or tab, which means that it may be "working as intended" and not a bug. But I, a paying customer, and many other paying customers do not like the change.  It is an issue to us, even if it is not a bug to you.

I expect that the reason for this change os so that more eyeballs will land on your ads.  While I can appreciate a media business such as Comcast wants as many eyeballs on their page as possible so that they can charge their advertisers as much as possible Comcast has to similarly appreciate that they are doing so in a way that is causing ill will and frustration with their subscribers, another source of income.  If you continue to cause this ill will and frustration, many of us will find alternative home pages, e-mails, and even perhaps internet and cable services.  You will lose the income from us as customers AND you will lose the eyeballs on your ads which will result in ADDITIONAL lost revenue for you.

I respectfully request that you find someone with the authority to change this "feature", slap them on the back of the head, say "What were you thinking?  People are getting upset and threatening to leave over this!", and post a pithy comment on these forums indicating that you have done so and the powers-that-be have capitulated to our righteous wrath.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Contributor

P.S.  I forgot to add that the service now logs me out several times a day so that I have to open multiple XFINITY home pages and log ins several times a day.  While it is only a few seconds each time, having to do this multple times every day adds up to a huge waste of my time and energy.

Email Expert
madylarian

ComcastJoe wrote:

Hi all,

A recent change has been made to the XFINITY Homepage. The page is working correctly and this is not an issue. 

Thanks,

Joe

I'm afraid I have a hard time believing that so many people has their browser settings suddenly change when they previously worked perfectly well.

mady

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

There are alternatives that don't involve the Comcast homepage.

You can get to email from these pages and it does not open in a new window. That may change at some point though.

1) from the forum click the Email icon on the upper right side of the page.

2) http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/

3) http://comcast.com/

4) http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/?INTCMP=ILCCOMCOM164817 (connect is in the black bar next to TV. It's difficult to see until you hover over the word Connect)

5) install an email client and configure it to work with Comcast mail servers.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

madylarian wrote:

ComcastJoe wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Joe

I'm afraid I have a hard time believing that so many people has their browser settings suddenly change when they previously worked perfectly well.

mady

I have seen that highlighted statement many times in these forums...   What the heck does it mean, "going forward"????    From all indications, the reverse is true, the home page is the work of psychotic inmates trying the patience of subscribers..

With all of the possibilities out there, take the plunge and do not use comcast for a home page.

Good Luck all..

ciao, bj

Contributor

Thank you for the work around.  Some may actually use it even though it takes 4 steps to do what we did before with just one step.  I worked in customer service for over 30 years and it takes a LOT to make me complain as you can see since I've only sent 8 (now 9) messages in 3 years.  I've had Comcast longer than that though.  One thing that bothers me is that no one actually addresses EVERY concern a "contributer" lists in their message.  As a person who exclusively handled escalated complaints, that's the ONE thing a good representative does.  More often than not if you address their concerns, they do not become a repeat complainer. So ... IS anyone able to answer WHY your "new option" doesn't work the same way every time on a single day???? Here I am asking the SAME question again because it didn't get addressed the FIRST time.  I'll click on EMAIL and it'll open a new tab.  Couple hours later, I'll do the SAME click in the SAME place and dang it, it opens on the SAME PAGE and doesn't open a tab.  If we DO have to live with this and work around this if we don't like it, can it at the very least work the same way every time so it doesn't aggravate your customers daily many of whom fork over big money monthly?  

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

Homepage different

On the home page, I use to beable to click on the email icon and be taken to the signin page with out another window opening. Now it opens into another window, leaving a homepage and signin page, why would this have been changed? As I don`t like it opening up into another window. And just about every link from account too help opens up into a seperate page.

New Visitor
maimino

I think it is annoying and really rather stupid.

New Visitor
oneamongmany

. New home page

I am very unhappy that with the new home page, I now have one more layer of "clicks" to get into my email.  Very annoying.  I am ready to find a new email provider.  I don't like the e-mail preview page either--also an unnecessary layer.  Otherwise, the home page is good.

Regular Problem Solver
DoubleG

Re: . New home page

There are many good free email clients you can download and use. Google search can find them for you.

Email Expert

pattyci wrote:

P.S.  I forgot to add that the service now logs me out several times a day so that I have to open multiple XFINITY home pages and log ins several times a day.  While it is only a few seconds each time, having to do this multple times every day adds up to a huge waste of my time and energy.

That's a completely different issue, and Comcast is working on fixing it.

But the multiple windows thing is intentional. Comcast's customer surveys haven't shown a reduction in overall satisfaction, so it's not likely to be changed back any time soon.

I do some web page design at my company, and my boss generally likes links to open in a new window, so that's what we do on most of our pages.

Contributor

Yes but for the THIRD time, will one of you experts PLEASE address why it alternates BETWEEN opening in a new tab or window ****AND**** opening on the SAME page several times a day when I'm checking my mail.  I'll bring up the browser, the home page is my default.  I click on email and it opens a new tab.  Next time I check, I can do the same thing .... and .... it opens on the same page.  You cannot tell me THAT is how it should "normally" operate.  Switching back and forth is not normal anything.  I use 3 different browsers and I don't "change" anything but any time I check my email, I get a surprise.  I understand y'all don't want to change it back for what you consider "minor dissatisfaction" by a small percentage of unhappy customers but shouldn't it work the same way every time?????

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

imannoyedtoo wrote:

Yes but for the THIRD time, will one of you experts PLEASE address why it alternates BETWEEN opening in a new tab or window ****AND**** opening on the SAME page several times a day when I'm checking my mail.  I'll bring up the browser, the home page is my default.  I click on email and it opens a new tab.  Next time I check, I can do the same thing .... and .... it opens on the same page.  You cannot tell me THAT is how it should "normally" operate.  Switching back and forth is not normal anything.  I use 3 different browsers and I don't "change" anything but any time I check my email, I get a surprise.  I understand y'all don't want to change it back for what you consider "minor dissatisfaction" by a small percentage of unhappy customers but shouldn't it work the same way every time?????

As for "why it alternates BETWEEN opening in a new tab or window", are you holding in the Ctrl key when clicking a link on the homepage?

As for the "opening on the SAME page several times a day when I'm checking my mail." issue, we are not able to duplicate it but we are looking into it. A few customers have reported this. Do you have any pop-up blockers on?

When we know more, I will update this thread.

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

I'm not holding a control key down. All I'm doing is clicking on "EMAIL" on the upper right side on the Comcast home page. Sometimes a new tab opens and sometimes the home page changes to the email page. I do have pop-up blockers on but ..... I haven't touched them. It's not like I alter anything in between my email accessing. I don't. My pop up blocker does not affect my opening new windows because I do that all the time with no problem. Comcast email has always been on my "allow" list for pop ups.
New Visitor
Zero_1

Tab,Tab,Tab.....

Why is it that when I sign in to my Comcast ID, it opens up on a new "Tab", and then after I sign in, I click on the "e-mail" section to check my e-mail, or I click on "Voice" section, or any other section, and it opens up on a new "Tab". Sometimes I have up to three to four "Tabs" open all under the same sign in account. It gets annoying to remember to "sign out" before you close the current "Tab" if I dont sign out, I'll be sign in forever!!!! It's been hapening lately on the "Comcast" or "Xfinity" website. I miss the old format where I just click on a subject button and it automaticly send me to that section, without opening a new "Tab".....Hopefully this "so call 'New and Improve Website' " will solve this problem.

New Visitor

Extreme Irritation with Bad Design

This new infinity service is pathetic.  Every time I open an email or even sign in to the email account I get a new page and a new tab on the status bar.  I wind up having to close multiple pages before I can get to anything else on my computer.  Trying to get back to a particular email is like an Easter egg hunt.

I realize this approach gives Comcast a lot more chances to get its ads in front of my eyes but it is not making me a happy customer.  Your corporate greed is getting in the way of any kind of acceptable experience for the user.

New Visitor
tickle

Who thought opening emails in a separate window was a good idea. It only make you sign out twice when you are done. That person should be fired.

Visitor
garyd409

This is crazy folks! We have had nothing but problems from Comcast since day 1. Aside from the multiple tabs open, you are still trying to tell me I owe you money for and old modem your technician removed fro my home. Firefox has NOTHING to do with ANY of this! It is 100% Comcast. Firefox DOES tell me I have too many tabs open! Gee, Wonder why. Now you are asking me for suggestions?? Can I call you for suggestions next time I rin across a vinyl wallcovering issue!? Just quit ponting the finger at everyone else and FIX IT!! You know as in "your job???" Fix it or I am going back to AT&T. Pretty simple, huh!?

Don't make me any sicker!

Gary

New Visitor

OK FOLKS!!  I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND A BIT BACKWARDS FOR SOME OF YOU, BUT I KNOW FOR

SURE IT WILL DRIVE COMCAST NUTS!!  WE ALL KNOW COMCAST IS MANIPULATING US INTO

VIEWING MORE OF THEIR ANNOYING CONTENT.  TRY OPENING COMCAST IN A SINGLE WINDOW

DEDICATED TO COMCAST ALONE (MANY, MANY TABS WILL OPEN, DEPENDING UPON HOW MANY

EMAIL ACCOUNTS YOU OWN).  WHEN YOU'RE DONE CHECKING YOUR EMAILS FOR THE DAY, SIMPLY

CLOSE THE WINDOW UNTIL THE NEXT TIME...POINT BEING: COMCAST WANTS US STUPID, MINDLESS(?)

FOOLS TO MAKE COMCAST THE "CENTER OF OUR WORLD".  THIS SELF-CENTERED, EGO-CENTRIC

ATTITUDE IS A TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME AND I HAVE A GOOD MIND TO A "GMAIL" ACCOUNT, WHICH

ISN'T STARVED FOR ATTENTION.  HANG IN THERE FOLKS...COMCAST WILL COME AROUND ONCE

USERS START DELETING THEIR ACCOUNTS.

New Visitor
checker123

Multiple Windows on email login page.

Hey Comcast. Look at your pages when login to email on comcast.net. It opens new window every time you click on emai icon. So, by the time you are in email , you have 1 email window and 2 additional comcast windows. After some time you log off people and when they are trying to login back they are getting  2 more additional windows again. Verry annoying. Please fix it. It was not like this before.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Multiple Windows on email login page.

The multiple tabs is something new that Comcast has added.  There are many posts about this in the Email Forum.  You can go to the homepage and on the bottom right side, click on the Send Feedback link to complain.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Multiple Windows on email login page.

There are alternatives that don't involve the Comcast homepage.

You can get to email from these pages and it does not open in a new window. That may change at some point though.

1) from the forum click the Email icon on the upper right side of the page.

2) http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/

3) http://comcast.com/  Clicking Connect on this page now takes you to the Comcast homepage, which requires clicking Email again and thus opening a new Window.

4) http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/?INTCMP=ILCCOMCOM164817 (connect is in the black bar next to TV. It's difficult to see until you hover over the word Connect)

5) install an email client and configure it to work with Comcast mail servers.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
arby1222

My feedback is that it's absolutely awful and is totally inconsiderate of customers/users.

My suggestion is that whoever proposed and approved this change be fired at once -- they obviously have no clue about usable interfaces.

New Visitor
markboy

Fix your Email/Connect links so they don't spawn new tabs

I realize that you want to keep people in your portal but it is really annoying that accessing Email spawns a new tab.  I know where your portal is.  I know how to easily get back to it from Connect and I don't want extraneous tabs. 

Note: I've now gone so far as to link my mail account to Outlook.com so that I don't have to go through your portal directly.

New Visitor
nutz2u

multiple homepages after signing out of email

why do I come up with another home page after I sign out of my email?  I have used "CONNECT" to get to the email and I have clicked on the EMAIL icon and I'm still getting multiple home pages for each time I sign into email.  This has recently started happening.  I don't like it.

New Visitor

Re: Email Link on comcast.com Goes to Homepage

I don't understand any of this either.  At one time the home page and email read Comcast.  Now everything goes to x-finity adding multiple clicks and additional pop-up screens.  What is this all about?  Don't get it.  I like things simple.

New Visitor
MMY_Frustrated

Multiple Web Pages

Why does comcast open a new page each time I want to access email.  This is causing too many unnecessary mouse clicks, loading pages and desktop clutter.  Also, how can I permanently remove the commercial bar from my inbox.  the constant motion tiggers headaches and I need to get rid of it.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Multiple Web Pages

Theis is a new feature that Comcast came up with.  Notine likes it, but so far no word if Comcast will change it or not.

What 'commercial' bar are you referring to?  You can close the ads that appear on the right side of your Inbox for that session. If you usevFirefox as your browser, you can install Ad Blocker Plus to block ads.

Contributor

Multiple screens

[ Edited ]

I see other posts stating people are having problems with multiple tabs opening when clicking on email, account etc. Up until a 2 months ago my screen would change.

My question to those with the problem is are the other websites  you open staying logged in?

New Visitor
Spidey87

im having the same issue when ever i open my web browser (FireFox) and it is just annoying and comcast doesnt give an rats iota about to but when we sign up they will be happy to care then darn these cable corporations!!! Rage!!!!!!!!

New Visitor
Blade00724

XFINITY Homepage open 4 different tabs when you open browser!!!

Why does XFINITY Homepage open 4 different tabs when you when you open your internet browser if you have XFINITY set as your homepage??? How third grade programming can you get???