Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

nntp server name

Hi,

can anyone tell me what Comcast's NNTP server name is?  Needed for newsgroup access.

thanks

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: nntp server name

Comcast newsgroups were discontinued in October of 2008.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Regular Contributor

Excuse my naivety, new to the whole newsgroup thing.  I am not accessing a Comcast newsgroup - Just trying to find a server to access Microsoft news groups.  It is my understanding that the ISP has to provide that server.  Like an SMTP server for outlook. 

Or are you saying Comcast doesn't provide the server anymore?

thanks

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure where you got your information, but ISP's are not required to provide an nntp server. Very few, if any do any longer. And no, Comcast does not provide an nntp server.

Microsoft is transitioning away from nntp servers to web based forums  They started closing nntp access in June 2010.See this for more information: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

You'll find Microsoft Answers (the replacement for nntp) on http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us.

There are still Usenet servers available. You can Google for more information on them. None are free, that I am aware of.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Email Expert

There certainly ARE free newsgroup services. The two most popular are eternal-september.org (I switched to them when Comcast stopped their service) and aioe.org. They don't provide binary newsgroups, but other than that they're perfectly fine.