Silver Problem Solver
andyross

xfinity.com/mycomcast going away

I use the http://xfinity.comcast.net/mycomcast/ as my home page. There is now a note that it will be going away on September 27, limiting you to the horrible main Xfinity/Comcast page that has no real customization other than location. I guess they think it's either have it their way or nothing. The main home page is mainly designed to make you watch TV and shove ads up your *expletive deleted*, and nothing else.

Any decent free home pages that allow some customization with small news blocks and not too many ads crammed into it? I still have an old att.com e-mail address, but the Yahoo-based page for that is 'tab' based and slow to load with way too many little boxes with a zillion different news I don't need.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: xfinity.com/mycomcast going away

[ Edited ]

. I've been using Yahoo (my.yahoo.com) for years and have it customized for my needs. I only have one tab in use and my page loads in less than 3 seconds. Course, a lot depends on your computer.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Official Employee
ComcastJoe

For those who do not know already, as of 9/27/11, My.Comcast.net will no longer be accessible, and visitors will be redirected to Xfinity.com. Personalize your XFINITY experience at the My Xfinity Profile page (http://xfinity.comcast.net/profile/) or at My TV (http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/list) on xfinityTV.com.

Unfortunately, very few people used the customize home page feature, so we have decided to put our resources into other areas, such as recently released features like Watchlist, DVR Manager and our suite of Apps for iPad, iPhone and Android.

Since we have received many comments about my.comcast.net, we are putting it all in one forum so we track all of your feedback.  We will take your comments under consideration when going forward with our site.

Thank you for your feedback,
Joe

Service Expert
Again

You could also try out iGoogle, which is what I use as an alternative.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Regular Contributor
BearHooks

[ Edited ]

Reply to LoPhatPhuud:

Same here. I have had the same account since 2003. I do not use any comcast items at all. I absolutly despise programs that change anything on my programs or wants to take over the program. I.E is a good example. Anytime that I decide to either buy or check out new software and install it I always go right into add/remove and make sure nothing was added by that certain program. If it does I delete the original program. Loss of trust.

WindowsLiveMail is far superior for an email client. I actually like it better than Outlook 2010. Keeps your computer updated via Windows Update and also periodically check for updates for the rest of your items. I am also not a Microsoft/Windows nut. Itunes kicks WinMediaPlayer to the curb. But make sure you have it on your system for it still is integrated into other programs.

To new users and old users look around and find what works best for you. We are all different and that is a good thing. I not wanna be a zombie. LOL

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can't agree with you more.  Unfortunately, the mycomcast page was always identified as beta and I don't think it was adequeately promoted to allow it to gain critical mass.  The standard page is so full of garbage as to be utterly useless, so I'm looking at the alternatives for a home page, too.

Contributor

For the record, I am highly disappointed to lose the MyComcast customizable page.  All my links to other sites I use often are there - plus news and other items.  Someone else mentioned that this page was never taken out of "Beta" and promoted.  Would have made a big difference in how many people knew about and set up that page.

For me, the XFinity wp is a major disappointment and I'll change home pages to one some other users suggested

Contributor

I love mycomcast.net   It allows me to see what I am interested in.  More importantly, I don't have to wade through a bunch of junk that I am not interested in.   My guess is the the Comcast marketing department didn't like the idea of not force feeding customers stuff they don't want.

Recognized Contributor

I totally agree.  I'm an adult so I didn't want to be bothered by having to look at childish subjects like entertainment and astrology.  And I certainly don't use Comcast as an entry to do any shopping.  I just want to see local, national and international highlights, plus access to my email accounts.  Save the other junk for juveniles who have nothing better to do.

And now that I'm stuck with the new comcast replacement (cause comcast ruined their reputation and had to hide behind a new name) I can't even get the home page to load the pages needed to finish updating my profile.  The links don't function in IE or in Chrome.

More testing in production, I guess....  Now that's the Comcast we recognize!

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I've been experimenting with iGoogle. I haven't set it as the home page yet, but I'm still setting it up. Much greater configuration options. Huge number of 'gadgets' you can add (news, videos, etc...)

Contributor

iGoogle is my favorite option, too.  When I use it with Google Chrome instead of IE or Firefox, I move around the Internet faster and have the bookmarks toolbar showing so I can access my most used links easily.  Looks like it will work well. 

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

One neat feature I found is that, in the iGoogle settings (click gear in upper-right), you can save a configuration file on your computer so you can restore your settings if needed. It even auto-stores backups when you make changes so you can back up to a previous setting. Both useful if you want to experiment. You can also change the form of the layout (number of columns, one column wider than others, etc...)

Email Expert
CCCarole

Andy, thanks for the added information.  :smileywink:

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
lpfeil790

I, like many others, am disappointed that the option of customizing a homepage will go away with Xfinity. The customization allowed me to prioritize what interested me such as news, weather and sports. The current Xfinity page prioritizes things I do not care about like the hottest videos etc. I will especialy miss the easy access to sports scores. Also I rarely watch TV online so all these programming options aren't that valuable to me either. Another question is: Will my comcast email address change?

Contributor

I haven't seen a hint anywhere that our email addresses will change.  Some of us have changed home pages to "iGoogle" which allows the kind of customizing you mentioned - and has some other great features. I put a "to do list" gadget on the page so I can take a break on-line; check out my "to do" and refocus on my work and commitments quickly.  The selection of news, weather and sports options are greater on iGoogle than on our My Comcast pages, too.  For me the forced home page change has been a great one!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Your Comcast email address will NOT change.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

Thanks for that reassurance CCCarol.(-:

Visitor

I started using my comcast.net as soon as it was available because I liked being able to customize it so much. I really hate the new xfinity .com and not being able to remove ads and video or prioritize and expand and contract lists. I don’t know yet if this is enough for me to switch to yahoo or Google but I am considering it.

Contributor

That's where I landed as well.  iGoogle works great and is even more customizable than the old mycomcast.

Contributor
unive

Reply to BearHooks:

I agree with you on what you are saying about programs installing things you don't want, but sometimes you have to deal with that if there is a specific program you want, and you can just delete it, what I hate is programs that install things you don't want and not give you the option to either check or uncheck it, if you don't want the extra things offered with the program.

I like WindowsLiveMail too, also I like the Incredimail client too, but for different things, both have their strong points and all.

I am not a big fan of M$ Windows either, but do kinda like the Windows 7. I also agree with you on that Windows Media Player sucks eggs. I use VLC myself, it is way better and completely customizable and skinable too, and I haven't found a audio or video format it can't play.

Oh and by the way, the name on the post is not mine, still working on that with comcast.

Vulcan219

Contributor
unive

New post,

I also agree with the others on that it is not a good idea for comcast to get rid of the mycomcast homepage, and force us to have a home page we can't customize to our individual needs. I will probably be moving to iGoogle for a homepage as well. And possibly for Email and other things as well, being I can't get any answers from the comcast staff for any of the problems I have asked for them to fix for our family and haven't done it yet, such as my username on the forums for example.

Vulcan219

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

Just a reminder that, if you haven't noticed the message, that the custom Xfinity home page will go away this Tuesday.

So far, the best alternative seems to be iGoogle.You can get information about it here: http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/static.py?page=guide.cs&guide=1224172&p=ig&hl=en

You don't have to create a Google account, but it does give you more flexibility, security/privacy options, and the ablity to use the same homepage on multiple browsers and computers. Otherwise, it's just stored as a cookie.

You can't quite directly see the mail from Comcast on-line, but there is a gadget named 'Box of Links' you can use to create a link to Comcast's mail. I normally use Thunderbird, but still like to preview on-line sometimes to check for spam.

Contributor

Andy - The "links box" is great. That fills the last wish I had to make iGoogle perfect!  

The customization I get for news links, videos, weather, skins -- and those gadgets make iiGoogle fun and very functional. Clicking the Comcast link to get to email doesn't take much effort at all, so -- thanks to you for sharing and to Comcast for forcing us to find a better home page option.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

[ Edited ]

I just don't understand why the home page can't be customize any longer....its been great. I have used the mycomcast page since it was 'invented' and I can assure you that many never even knew about it from what I have read in the forums but Its been wonderful so why take it away?  I have showed many how to get to it and how to customize and they were thrilled. I want to be able to see the stock market,news headlines without going to different pages or weeding thru a lot of stuff I have no interest in or need for. We all have our own needs but now we all have to have the same template.

There is way too much FLUFF. Those of us who are real adults do not want that.  We are not all tweeters or 20somethings. I really don't care what shoes some starlet wore last night or how many times someone went 'commando'. PLEASE....get over it. There are so many websites devoted to that stuff.

The so called personalization on the home page we are  being directed to seems to be all about TV preferences. I DO NOT watch TV on a computer .  What kind of personalization is that? Also there are so many things to set up in my profile for features like Dvr manager that I DO NOT HAVE in my area. Its very frustrating.

I never thought I would ever change homepages but Comcast is forcing me to do so

Terrib

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

[ Edited ]

I so totally agree with you on the content of the Xfinity home page vs what we have now........fluff and more fluff.

Why do they keep giving us what we didn't ask for AND who is the target audience and did they ask their users what they wanted? I think NOT.

Terrib

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Wow...I just set up i Google and it works like the comcast page they are taking away. I can add modules (gadgets), remove them and dray them where I want them. What a concept and seems to be developed by same people who did the mycomcast page. Almost a clone so this really makes me even angrier that MY PROVIDER is forcing me to another homepage.

Terrib

Contributor

i have to agree with the majority here. this new xfinity home page is terrible! too cluttered. its very disappointing and a waste of time to have to wade through all the garbage to find what i want. they need to allow us to keep the customized comcast home  page instead of forcing this jumble of unecessary, unwanted garbage on us. it seems in the recent past, that comcast/xfinity only wants to make things more difficult for the customer. not a very good way to do business. i am glad for the info about igoogle. will have to check that out. thanks.

Contributor

probably because you kept it a beta.  and judging by the comments, it seems a lot of people liked the beta. you need to reconsider this idea. it is not good business. and as more people leave the new xfinity homepage for igoogle or others, you loose advertising ability. that will cost the company money in the long run.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

The regular xfinity home page is not 'new'. It's just the main one for the techno-phobic who barely know how to use a computer and who have been brainwashed into thinking the size of KK's rear is breaking news.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Comcast has something like 24 million customers... If only a decent percentage of those customers had chosen to use MyComcast it would still be around. That was not the case. You can use any page you choose to as your homepage, or simply use 'About:blank' and have you browser open as a blank page.

Recognized Contributor

It was labeled as "Beta".  Most people avoid beta products because they usually have undiscovered bugs.  Only people like those writing here are confident that they can deal with (and accept) the presence of potential bugs.

If it had not been labeled "Beta" more would have tried it and liked it.  In actuality, this should be the default page so that people can customize if they wish or accept the slock on the default home page. 

Connection Expert
EG

The_Hat_Man wrote:

It was labeled as "Beta".  Most people avoid beta products because they usually have undiscovered bugs.  Only people like those writing here are confident that they can deal with (and accept) the presence of potential bugs.

Agreed, but a "beta" webpage and "beta" software that gets installed on one's machine are hardly the same risk factor.

Recognized Contributor

True, but how many people actually know that?  The operative word is "beta".  If they recognize the word they know that what they are looking at is not the fully tested final version.  

Except if it's Google, then they remember that beta can be forever...  :-)

Connection Expert
EG

The_Hat_Man wrote:

True, but how many people actually know that?  

Shame on those that don't. General life wisdom; "Let the buyer beware" !!!!

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Amen....when I first tried it under the 'beta' it would not hold my customization and was a royal pain. This went on so long that I am sure many who tried it gave it. I hung in there and finally it stayed the way I set it. Many were turned completely OFF by the unstable beta. Would it not have been wiser to put a note on the 'two' homepages and discuss the customized page rather than just take it away?

Visitor

Please, please bring my customized "mycomcast" page. Thanks

Recognized Contributor

Well, I see the new home page is here and my only choice.  I am not amused that the top articles are all fluff.  Not a single piece of actual news, just c*r*a*p.  I'm just interest in local, national and foreign news, not folishness about celebrities, etc.  I am after all an adult with a life.  Shame on you, Comcast.

New Visitor
rickgi

Give me my homepage back quickly, or I am SO switching to Google!!!!! Comcast is SOOO lame, will switch to FIOS as soon as available in my area.

Rick G

Contributor

CCCarole wrote:

Comcast has something like 24 million customers... If only a decent percentage of those customers had chosen to use MyComcast it would still be around. That was not the case. You can use any page you choose to as your homepage, or simply use 'About:blank' and have you browser open as a blank page.

and there youhave it... comcast just doesnt care about customer service. maybe not enough people used my comcast because it was not very good. but to replace it with something worse is terrible business. kind of like telling all the customers:  who cares? we got your money we dont need to care...... expletives were avoided, but totally called for for this kind of uncaring, in your face, get lost i'm tired of hearing it attitude. give us a better product, one thats worth the money, and we will all shut up. instead of taking the lazy way out.

Contributor

EG wrote:

The_Hat_Man wrote:

another example of an uncaring screw the customer attitude....... sigh.....

Connection Expert
EG

luciustc wrote:

EG wrote:

The_Hat_Man wrote:

another example of an uncaring screw the customer attitude....... sigh.....

Guess that you really don't get the true meaning of my comment, oh well... :smileysad:

I don't even work for them....

Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion re:  iGoogle for new homepage.  Xfinity is for kids.  iGoogle is easy and fun to customize---many, many options.  Comcast disregards customers once again.  May they lose many of those advertising eyeballs.

New Visitor
thflkeys

The customized home page is gone.  The comcast home page is horrible.  Well I have news for comcast.  I am tired of putting up with all the cra_.  Slow speeds. Service on and off.  Cable TV on and off.  I have had it now I am going to say that Comcast is really going away.  I will cancel the two subscriptions that I have with them.   Good Buy Comcast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recognized Contributor

I finally gave up looking at the Comcast home page designed for the juvenile minds of children and adults.   I've gone elsewhere and will look at somebody else's ads.  Sorry Comcast, but you are no longer my Home page either.

New Visitor
shellmbj

new xfinity.com homepage

I absolutely HATE the new page I've been forced to use!  Most of what is on there, I don't want to see.  There is no customization like the old page.  When I try to get local news for 19901 (the capital city of Delaware!!!!) all I get is Philly news.  I know there's local news because I received it on the old page.  What happened?  All this has done is force me to find another home page - OTHER than Comcast or Xfinity!!!  If you want our business, this is not the way to go about it!

Visitor

Re: new xfinity.com homepage

I totally agree that I want to be able to customize my homepage andso far, cannot do it. Is it possible? How?

New Visitor
airorbust

I agree,  I don't care for the TV programs or what is happening in entertainment. I would want a home page that I could pick what is on it. Am I not a paying customer ??

Visitor
lostcustomer

Yeah, I hate this! I want my old page back. This sucks.

New Visitor
dnmalick

I agree 100% with the person who "hates" the new home page.  I WANT MY OLD COMCAST.NET HOME PAGE BACK PRONTO or I will go elsewhere to find something that I like. 

New Visitor
lindahay07

I also agree.  Why can't they leave well enough alone.  I have not changed my home page since the beginning.  It has exactly what I am interested in seeing at a glance.  If I want information about what is on TV, I will go to the TV, not the home page.  Please, Please give us the option to reconfigure to our liking!